Player Discussion David Quinn: Part II

Thanksgiving Quarter-Mark Grades

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Still not a fan of player usage but to have a 500 record with this roster and without your 2nd best forward out most of the season deserves atleast a C for that

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
My least favorite aspect of Quinn is that he’ll single out players he’s pissed off about in the media.

Not a fan of that, IMO you take the blame publicly and do any sort of scolding behind closed doors.

Aside from that, I’ve been pretty happy with him thru the quarter mark. Got on him hard early on but that was just rash thinking from the season starting. The Howden thing is annoying, but it’s whatever. At least he’s a developing young player and not some player with no possible future.

Also, it’s easy to forget that Quinn is a second year guy himself. He’s still learning, and I think he’s gotten better since his first game.

I gave him a C. If we make the playoffs, he’ll get a B/B+.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He gets a solid 'letter grade' from me.

The only problems I truly have with him are Howden and holding onto Ruff, which in turn doesn't do favors to the 5v5 D/PK. The whole "giving up the NZ and blueline" tactic doesn't do shit for success. I get that Ruff is a problem, but he is only an extension of Quinn for the most part.

I would like to see Greg Brown get a full-time hold on the D, instead of just working with Ruff (I have a feeling that Ruff takes the lead more often than not between the two due to seniority).

It also doesn't help Quinn or the rest of this coaching staff that this roster is A) young and raw as hell and B) has vets who are under-performing and not really because of the coaching.

I think it's just a mixed bag of 'meh' for me. Quinn has both good and bad points for this year.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
While I do think DQ has done some good things, I don't think it's been enough to outweigh some of the counter- productive things he's done.

The team was 12-8 going into Thanksgiving last year, add Trouba/ Panarin @$19.6M and they're 12-9 going into Thanksgiving this year.

Are they really all that much better, if at all?
What's improved?

The defense is disastrous.
DQ is a duck.

C- / D

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I feel like people don’t want to give Quinn credit when he comes through with the right lineup changes, typically where the “analysis” starts with outcries of “doubt” that Quinn will be doing the appropriate, logical things for the rebuild. Only pretty much in all of these situations Quinn does comes through with the right moves. Like situations when Lindgren was called up and a “better” half of this board thought that Hajek will sit instead of Staal. Or that a few games later when Quinn wanted to put Staal back into the lineup after a loss the same folks thought it would be at expense of either Lindgren or Hajek but he sat Skjei who was the one struggling.

Honestly I’m almost 100% on the same page with Quinn. I like how he gradually brings up Kakko. He split Panarin and Zibanejad when the depth scoring was suffering and it worked. He tried Hajek with Trouba when Skjei was not up to it. He moved Trouba from the top PP to give less heralded ADA and especially Fox a chance there, etc. Today was the latest example - I wanted Quinn to finally split Kakko and Howden now that he has options at C and he did it, while choosing the option where Howden went to the 4th line (how many of you would have thought this would happen?). Have to remember that in certain situations he doesn’t have options either because of injuries or because it’s not up to him to make roster moves between the Rangers and Wolfpack.

And finally you know my stand on Lias. Maybe there was a window of a couple of games where Andersson should have gotten a chance and switched with Howden but that window was short lived and I’m not there to see what happens in practice and based on his body of work so far I am comfortable giving Quinn a benefit of a doubt.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I gave him a C but in reality, that C is a C+.

Most of the younger guys have gotten better which is great and he actually had the balls to scratch a healthy Staal for a few games.

I don't think hes done a good job of handling his roster though and keeping Lindy around was a huge mistake, but I don't know if thats him of Jeff, either way its no good.

I'm probably being a bit harsh but the early portion of the season left a really sour taste in my mouth. They're trending upwards so we'll see where they are at the halfway point, but if he forces Staal into the lineup (Yes, Hajek has struggled, but I'd rather live with a young kid struggling than Staal being the worst player in the league - There is the potential for improvement for one of them) and continues to do goofy things with the lineup, That grade will drop pretty quickly.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I feel like people don’t want to give Quinn credit when he comes through with the right lineup changes, typically where the “analysis” starts with outcries of “doubt” that Quinn will be doing the appropriate, logical things for the rebuild. Only pretty much in all of these situations Quinn does comes through with the right moves. Like situations when Lindgren was called up and a “better” half of this board thought that Hajek will sit instead of Staal. Or that a few games later when Quinn wanted to put Staal back into the lineup after a loss the same folks thought it would be at expense of either Lindgren or Hajek but he sat Skjei who was the one struggling.

Honestly I’m almost 100% on the same page with Quinn. I like how he gradually brings up Kakko. He split Panarin and Zibanejad when the depth scoring was suffering and it worked. He tried Hajek with Trouba when Skjei was not up to it. He moved Trouba from the top PP to give less heralded ADA and especially Fox a chance there, etc. Today was the latest example - I wanted Quinn to finally split Kakko and Howden now that he has options at C and he did it, while choosing the option where Howden went to the 4th line (how many of you would have thought this would happen?). Have to remember that in certain situations he doesn’t have options either because of injuries or because it’s not up to him to make roster moves between the Rangers and Wolfpack.

And finally you know my stand on Lias. Maybe there was a window of a couple of games where Andersson should have gotten a chance and switched with Howden but that window was short lived and I’m not there to see what happens in practice and based on his body of work so far I am comfortable giving Quinn a benefit of a doubt.
You and me, @kovazub94. The only two to give the man an A. :)

Reactions: kovazub94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The team went 8-4-1 without Zibanejad. And we were 3-5-1 (and just got crushed by the Bruins) at that point looking at Strome to be our 1C until Mika got back. We've held it together and we're breaking in three rookie defensemen at the same time. Meanwhile Pavel, Tony and Filip have made real improvement this year. Will we make the playoffs this year? I don't know but it's starting to seem not so far fetched.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Literally half the defensemen are rookies. We’re playing a 20 year old and a 21 year old center. We have 7 players under 21 on any given night and are the youngest team in the league.

Having this record with that to work with is impressive. Young players are improving. The guys Quinn was hard on last year, DeAngelo and Buch, and having career years.

I think the d-zone tactics need to be tightened up a lot and the PP combos need to be solidified and consistently using wingers on their offsides.

I give him a solid B. There are some issues for sure but the growth of the kids is pretty remarkable and he seems to have gotten through to most guys when needed. Those are the things he was brought in to facilitate and he’s doing them well.

Last edited:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
  • Solid results all things considered
  • Love the meritocracy
  • Don’t like the Howden or Staal love
Overall grade: B

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
While I do think DQ has done some good things, I don't think it's been enough to outweigh some of the counter- productive things he's done.

The team was 12-8 going into Thanksgiving last year, add Trouba/ Panarin @$19.6M and they're 12-9 going into Thanksgiving this year.

What's improved?

DQ is a duck.

C- / D
That's being kind of deceptive. The wheels fell off around this time last year.

Defense is still bad. Still make 'out-of-touch' moves. But it is what it is. He's here to help lay the foundation of the future. Considering we're in a 'developmental period', he's doing his job. When players stop showing growth, it's an issue.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
quinn gets a B from me.

i wasnt a fan last season with his deangelo shenanigans.

im not on board with the PP usage especially lately seeing bread on the wrong side. are there no lefty worthy of PP1 time ? i say there are.

the KEY david is not letting PP1 stay out there for 90 secs. use your sec unit and balance them out. duh.

other than few minor things- the staal love and the nauseating praise for a guy who should retire, Quinn has done a very good job. this team is playing hard (most nights) and competes. they are showing signs and guys seem to be developing sans maybe chad and brett- whom i cannot continue to support anywhere but on line 4. kakko is up and down. kids 18 yrs old. quinn seems to get that.

his use of strome has been brilliant. his playing fox and lindgren has been spot on. his usage of deangelo and fox has been fair. winning games without mika for a month was impressive.

hes had some very good wins against top teams and that resonates with me.

this team is a blast to watch most nights.

hes winning me over.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That's being kind of deceptive. The wheels fell off around this time last year.

Defense is still bad. Still make 'out-of-touch' moves. But it is what it is. He's here to help lay the foundation of the future. Considering we're in a 'developmental period', he's doing his job. When players stop showing growth, it's an issue.

Last year's team was one of the luckiest teams I've ever watched. the 9-1 run or whatever it was was the biggest f***ing facade.

Thats before getting into the rosters, much more experience on that one where as this group is almost too young.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought that Quinn was an idiot? Has something changed?

By and large the young players are making progress, there is accountability and players seem to be improving play. Not much not to like. We all know that the clock on a coaching tenure starts the second a coach is hired but I think that Quinn will be here for a while. And may well be the coach who is in charge when the team gets back into the playoffs After that, we shall see. He may not be.

Oh, wait. I know. This mistake that Gorton did was not hiring a coach who did not get his first playoff series win until his 12th year of coaching. What a fool Gorton is.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think he's done a B-/C+ job thus far. He's gotten the team to play hard and buy into what he's selling. I think there needs to be some staff changes but outside of that he's been fine.

He does do some things that bother the hell out of me though. He has some tendencies that scream "college coach" still. But I wanted him as the coach once they fired AV, and thus far he's shown me why.

All that said, to me it's become clear he probably won't be the coach leading this team to a (hopefully) Stanley Cup. As a couple folks have said before, he seems to be the intermediary coach, and the next coach will be that guy (again hopefully)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

What's improved?

DQ is a duck.

C- / D

Adding Panarin and Trouba isn't going to make you that much better if at the same time you lose the production of Zuccarello, Hayes, Shattenkirk, Pionk and Vesey.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Adding Panarin and Trouba isn't going to make you that much better if at the same time you lose the production of Zuccarello, Hayes, Shattenkirk, Pionk and Vesey.
It still amazes me when this comes up. Over the summer, when people were readying the parade, they were told that simply adding Panarin and Trouba was not going to get it done. Of course, as always, it as not the expectations that were faulty but rather poor coaching.

Reactions: CasusBelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad