Player Discussion David Quinn: Part II

Thanksgiving Quarter-Mark Grades

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Their quality chance prevention will improve as the team gets more experience. Youngest team in the league with a defense that is primarily composed of guys who are either barely old enough to rent a car or barely old enough to legally order a beer at a bar. Regardless, I'd rather be a team that takes 1 to give 2 than be a team that neither takes or gives little. Those teams rarely win.

I got really, really, REALLY down on Quinn in December, I had even said that if the poll had been put up then, he would have received a D grade from me. Everything you want to see improve has more or less improved since then. Perfect he is not, but no coach is and the results are obvious.

I don't think he is going to be the right guy to guide this team when its time to contend, but hell if he hasn't gotten this group to take the right steps towards getting there.
I was in a similar spot as you with Quinn, and my main gripes were that there were a lot of individual improvements yet no improvements overall as a team. While there's no denying that they still have a lot of kinks to work out, I've been really happen with their progress in the second half of the season. It still remains to be seen how they'll fare after the deadline, but I definitely think things are finally starting to click for this young core under Quinn.

Reactions: OverTheCap

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Mac N Gs said:
I was in a similar spot as you with Quinn, and my main gripes were that there were a lot of individual improvements yet no improvements overall as a team. While there's no denying that they still have a lot of kinks to work out, I've been really happen with their progress in the second half of the season. It still remains to be seen how they'll fare after the deadline, but I definitely think things are finally starting to click for this young core under Quinn.

Same, it was worrisome to be that they had a handful of guys having really really strong years yet collectively they looked as bad as they did last year with out the all time puck luck to prop them up the standings.

I don't understand the complains because there isn't anywhere that they haven't improved at as a team over the last 2+ months.

5v5 Quality chance generation? Check
5v5 Quality chance against suppression? Check
PP? Massive check
PK? Statistically probably an even bigger check though It would be even better if they just removed certain players from the PK entirely.
Not looking completely shellshocked at the start of every game? Check. Work in progress, but check.

The goaltending hasn't been spectacular since then for the most part, but thats hardly on the team and more on individual player(s).

Quinn is still giving wayyyyyy to long a leash to a few of his personal favorites, but even 2 of the biggest 'teachers pets' have seen a reduction in their minutes/roles.

He really has a lot to learn only it shouldn't be at the NHL level as if he's just another prospect.
It's a ****ing joke..

What exactly does he need to learn that can't be learned at the NHL level?

Because all I'm seeing here is an ambiguous complaint.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Same, it was worrisome to be that they had a handful of guys having really really strong years yet collectively they looked as bad as they did last year with out the all time puck luck to prop them up the standings.

I don't understand the complains because there isn't anywhere that they haven't improved at as a team over the last 2+ months.

5v5 Quality chance generation? Check
5v5 Quality chance against suppression? Check
PP? Massive check
PK? Statistically probably an even bigger check though It would be even better if they just removed certain players from the PK entirely.
Not looking completely shellshocked at the start of every game? Check. Work in progress, but check.

The goaltending hasn't been spectacular since then for the most part, but thats hardly on the team and more on individual player(s).

Quinn is still giving wayyyyyy to long a leash to a few of his personal favorites, but even 2 of the biggest 'teachers pets' have seen a reduction in their minutes/roles.

What exactly does he need to learn that can't be learned at the NHL level?

Because all I'm seeing here is an ambiguous complaint.

I dont need or want to speak for @NYR as he’s a capable poster and made a lot of valid points but my issue with Quinn is he should not have to be learning how to manage an NHL roster while coaching a team filled with rookies. It’s silly to think the situation of developing players is made better by a coach who is also developing. It is even more absurd to imagine we have an NHL coach who needs to develop basic aspects of coaching or that a fan base should be patient and just accept poor coaching while he figures things out.

Reactions: NYR

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He's doing a pretty good job as coach. Perfect? f*** no.

I won't list the few people that can make a cogent argument why they feel he's sub-par, but thank you for not going down the cesspool route and making this thread a more unreadable morass than it was. The ignore feature, which I usually hate to use has made this thread a million times more tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad