Signing(s): David Price to Red Sox (7 years/217 M)

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I hope they trade Soler for Shelby Miller.
Soler getting traded is dependent upon where Shewrbs finally figures out where he wants to play.

That kid in the minors who catches is gonna be a defensive gem. But is also a huge trade piece per rumors.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
has Price said "its not about the money" yet.

holy hell that is a lot of money. I wouldnt have given him 7 years.
Guess Greinke gets 32-35 per now.

I see Greinke getting one of 5 years/160mil or 6 years/192mil. Likely 6 years since he doubles what he left on the table IIRC.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Price might've been more attractive with his opt-out, where there's a decent chance he'll take it. Also don't lose a pick with Price. And perhaps Greinke wanted even more than Price to go to Boston. And Price is also younger.

But, yeah, overall if I was in that position I'd choose Greinke as well.

I don't buy it. What pitcher is going to make more than 30 million after age 34? Unless he wings the next 2/3 Cy Youngs and maybe na MVP theres no way he'd opt out looking for more money, cause he won't get it.

Grienke may have wanted more but also may have wanted Price to set the bar, as well as remaining on the West Coast where he's been heavily courted by the two best teams out there. He was going to get 30 million anyway, but theres the chance he wanted to play for a contender.

so the sox are actually trying to compete? good luck with that. that team needs a rebuild badly and i don't understand why price would even want to go there. no way they'll finish better than last next season.

just two more teams he needs to play for and then he'll have played for the entire al east

Money $$$$$$$$$$. He didn't give a crap about how good the team was, he just wanted the most money possible. I mean good for him, but the Cards had a close offer that would have enabled him to play for a much better team.

Duh, three prospects to the Padres for Matt Kemp will fix that.

Dave-Dombrowski-fenway.jpg

Literally would not put it past Dombo. He doesn't give a rats ass about prospects and really isn't a fan of young players (aka 3/4 of their outfield).

They haven't been that in over a decade in fact last year they went all out on Sandoval and ramirez

Thing is everytime they do that, they fail. Crawford was a disappointment, Gonzalez was decent but the team sucked his season and a half there. Obviously Panda & Hanley have failed.

They're honestly awful at attempting to buy themselves a ring, while the Yanks are pretty good at it. Seems the only big money deal thats worked out for them is Ramirez, 15 years ago. Maybe Damon too.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
David Price teed off Tuesday morning at a charity golf tournament in Las Vegas believing he would be spending the next seven years pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals.

By the time he left the event hosted by former major leaguer Wally Joyner, Price had agreed to become a member of the Boston Red Sox with a deal that will make him the richest pitcher in history.

The Cardinals were also in the hunt for Price, and offered him the richest contract in franchise history, a seven-year deal worth at least $30 million less than the Red Sox's offer. And the Chicago Cubs met with Price but never made a formal offer, according to the person directly involved in the negotiations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...inke-free-agents-st-louis-cardinals/76630810/

wow that was ninja style boston

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
that jd drew deal worked out fine for them, don't listen to the sports radio idiots. they have gotten burned by some of the deals that they've given out but some would question how much of that was the front office intervening.

they also developed most of their core so they could go out and make big signings that wouldn't cripple them. ellsbury, pedroia, youkilis and ortiz made up the core of team for half a decade and they drafted and developed all but ortiz who they picked up off the scrap heap.

2013 was a lot of smart, short signings of guys like gomes, victorino, napoli, dempster, et al and that worked pretty well.

in short, they have made some bad signings as all teams do. their core has kept them in contention though which separates them from most.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
that jd drew deal worked out fine for them, don't listen to the sports radio idiots. they have gotten burned by some of the deals that they've given out but some would question how much of that was the front office intervening.

they also developed most of their core so they could go out and make big signings that wouldn't cripple them. ellsbury, pedroia, youkilis and ortiz made up the core of team for half a decade and they drafted and developed all but ortiz who they picked up off the scrap heap.

2013 was a lot of smart, short signings of guys like gomes, victorino, napoli, dempster, et al and that worked pretty well.

in short, they have made some bad signings as all teams do. their core has kept them in contention though which separates them from most.

This is exactly my point. they pretty much sucks when it comes to mega-contracts and think time and time again they can buy a title. They've tried this repeatedly and failed, they need to replicate what they did in 2013. But thats never happening with Dombo in charge and henry ever so desperate.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The core of the Red Sox under their last few championships were built around talent they developed themselves. Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youk, Lester, Buchholz, Varitek, Boegarts Papelbon, Miller, etc all developed to great players while playing for the Red Sox. Like any other team that wins championships, they had contributions from smart FA signings and trades as well.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Morosi stirring the pot. :laugh:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...gm-cost-team-resign-ace-offer-contract-120215

Would the Toronto Blue Jays have signed David Price if Alex Anthopoulos were still making the team’s baseball decisions?

We can’t say it’s terribly likely, because it’s difficult to imagine the Jays matching Boston’s winning bid of $217 million over seven years.

But this much is known: Toronto would have offered Price a contract.

Sources say Anthopoulos began laying the groundwork to do so in August, before Mark Shapiro was named the team’s new president and CEO. And Price, sources say, had genuine interest in returning to Toronto.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Beeston nor Shapiro would have let him spend the money, nor term (Beeston) to make a competitive offer. Of course "offer" will mean competitive to those who want to hear it.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Soler getting traded is dependent upon where Shewrbs finally figures out where he wants to play.

That kid in the minors who catches is gonna be a defensive gem. But is also a huge trade piece per rumors.

Willson Contreras.

And I don't see any appeal in moving Soler for Miller.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Slight overpayment.. but I'm just bitter he didn't take less money to play for a better team in STL.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Beeston nor Shapiro would have let him spend the money, nor term (Beeston) to make a competitive offer. Of course "offer" will mean competitive to those who want to hear it.

Hypothetically if Anthopolous was still around there'd be no Shapiro (no need to hire him if they trust Anthopolous with full control) or Beeston (retired)

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Hypothetically if Anthopolous was still around there'd be no Shapiro (no need to hire him if they trust Anthopolous with full control) or Beeston (retired)

That doesn't mean Rogers would consent to 217mil/7yr. In that hypothetical situation, AA can try to convince them (even though I think he wouldn't do it just because of how obscenely expensive it is), but that is a risky deal to take with the team's financial structure in mind.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Good for Boston! With all that money, he should pitch them into the playoffs. Then with his current track record, he can pitch them out of the playoffs. Give me a guy that can win the BIG ones not the Little ones.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Good for Boston! With all that money, he should pitch them into the playoffs. Then with his current track record, he can pitch them out of the playoffs. Give me a guy that can win the BIG ones not the Little ones.
Yeah, i prefer to start Marco Estrada over David Price because... small sample size.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That doesn't mean Rogers would consent to 217mil/7yr. In that hypothetical situation, AA can try to convince them (even though I think he wouldn't do it just because of how obscenely expensive it is), but that is a risky deal to take with the team's financial structure in mind.

Ive heard Price would have taken a little less to remain in Toronto, since he loved it and the team so much. Plus AA could have really convinced Rogers to pony up, showing them how close they ere to winning it all and how much of an impact he made.

Well said. At least he'll sell some jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00