Signing(s): David Price to Red Sox (7 years/217 M)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As a fan of teams with deep pockets, I love this signing.

Upgrades the Red Sox into contenders and puts the Jays back to medicority land. Love it.

Too bad they will come away empty handed, unless they can sign Heyward. Deep pockets are useless unless you use them.

That's what Nightengale is reporting:

The part about Greinke wanting an answer tonight is interesting too. Wonder if that means he'd be the Red Sox ace now if Price had taken the Cardinals offer.

Seems like Grienke just wants the $$$$ like Price. Think if the Giants or Dodgers matched the money oor came close he'd stay west.

Which is what it obviously came down too. Price could have taken a bit less (still would have gotten 30 million a year) and played for

A) Consistent Winning Team
B) World Series Contender / Already Top Team
C) Arguably the best organization in baseball, one of the best in the Big 4
D) One of the most historic franchises, especially when it comes to pitching.
E) Five hours from his off-season home

If it was me, I'd take the little bit less money and went to play for a much better team. but good for him, he'll only have to work until September going forward ;)

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
The part about Greinke wanting an answer tonight is interesting too. Wonder if that means he'd be the Red Sox ace now if Price had taken the Cardinals offer.

Now this is interesting. I can't believe they chose Price over Greinke considering just how much better Greinke is than Price.

Just read this whole thread. Need a drink now. Or four.

You should see the Toronto thread. You WILL die from Alcohol abuse.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yea if they chose price over grienke then they messed up

Price might've been more attractive with his opt-out, where there's a decent chance he'll take it. Also don't lose a pick with Price. And perhaps Greinke wanted even more than Price to go to Boston. And Price is also younger.

But, yeah, overall if I was in that position I'd choose Greinke as well.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
holy ****

did not expect this. thought price to the cubs was all but done.

so the sox are actually trying to compete? good luck with that. that team needs a rebuild badly and i don't understand why price would even want to go there. no way they'll finish better than last next season.

just two more teams he needs to play for and then he'll have played for the entire al east

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I can't believe the contracts in baseball. Don't get me wrong, I know he's one of the games top pitchers, but he's going to end up making about $1/game (not including playoffs).

I also don't see him opting out. He'd have to have a couple down right out of this world years to be getting more than 32 mil a year.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
After reading that stuff from Nightengale, I'm wondering what the offer was from Greinke was to the Red Sox...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
After reading that stuff from Nightengale, I'm wondering what the offer was from Greinke was to the Red Sox...

This is from Bowden tonight.....

I am now expecting Zack Greinke to land a 6-year deal with an average annual value of $32m per year with his landing spot either with the Dodgers or Giants and a decision in the next 48 hours according to a source close to the situation. tick tock tick tock.

If that's accurate then probably something north of that to pick the Red Sox over one of those NL teams.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Dombrowski gonna Dombrowski.

Maybe now the Red Sox will finally shut up about being some mom and pop organization that's just like the little engine that could.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
the real question is whether or not the red sox can have price play the outfield on his days off to make up for the dearth of outfielders on the roster.

Duh, three prospects to the Padres for Matt Kemp will fix that.

Dave-Dombrowski-fenway.jpg

Sep 19, 2008
Dombrowski gonna Dombrowski.

Maybe now the Red Sox will finally shut up about being some mom and pop organization that's just like the little engine that could.

They haven't been that in over a decade in fact last year they went all out on Sandoval and ramirez

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Cubs will get someone younger with more tread on their tires who pitches better in the POs and maybe even cheaper, although they have the $.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
but the cubs aren't operating like a team with deep pockets
They dont have to. I see the Cubs trading some of their fantastic postional depth for a top end cost controlled pitcher.

Theo is ahead of the curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1