Signing(s): David Price to Red Sox (7 years/217 M)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ive heard Price would have taken a little less to remain in Toronto, since he loved it and the team so much. Plus AA could have really convinced Rogers to pony up, showing them how close they ere to winning it all and how much of an impact he made.

Well said. At least he'll sell some jerseys.

Price back in Toronto with healthy Stroman and Estrada coming back. Add another good bullpen piece to complement Osuna and Sanchez and you get a very scary team. Oh well.

Fortunately for Jays the AL East is weak again and are still the favorites to take it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
To add on, these were Sabathia's playoff numbers before signing with the Yankees:

8.89 ERA 2.26 WHIP.

He won ALCS MVP the next season. lol.

Price's playoff woes are overblown.

Remember Kershaw sucks in the postseason too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
To add on, these were Sabathia's playoff numbers before signing with the Yankees:

8.89 ERA 2.26 WHIP.

Maybe if they were based off one or two posts reasons, but he's had 6 appearances now. Two coming with all-star lineups behind him.

Sabathias numbers went up likely because he had a very very good team behind him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wow 6 appearances, that's a massive sample size to draw conclusions from

He has one quality start in his entire career. It may seem a smalls amp size but remember how many teams make the playoffs.

2010 ALDS 0-2 4.97 ERA
2011 ALDS 0-1 4.05 ERA
2013 ALDS 0-1 9.00 ERA
2014 ALDS 1-0 2.25 ERA
2015 ALDS 1-1 7.20 ERA
2015 ALCS 0-1 5.40 ERA

Guy just hasn't been good in the playoffs plain and simple.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
You don't get that many opportunities. You better win every time. Don't want a million dollar baby who ever collapses when the big one is on the line; zero tolerance for that kind of dough.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Price pitched fine in his latest playoff series, this year's ALCS. He owned the Royals for the majority of an afternoon before having one bad inning, and fared well in Game 6. If you strikeout 16 and walk one every 13 innings, as he did during the ALCS, odds are your ERA isn't gonna be in the 5s too often.

As a Red Sox, I hope he never pitches in the postseason again, but he will and I'll be surprised if he doesn't do a good job. His past playoff struggles aren't even worth a second thought. A handful of starts spread out over a multiyear period means jack ****.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hard to imagine him not opting out unless he gets hurt or his play just falls off a cliff within the next three years. With the way contracts are, even at 33 years old, I think he'll easily get more than the 4 yrs, $127M that'll be left on his deal at that time.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hard to imagine him not opting out unless he gets hurt or his play just falls off a cliff within the next three years. With the way contracts are, even at 33 years old, I think he'll easily get more than the 4 yrs, $127M that'll be left on his deal at that time.

I disagree, even with salaries rising I don't think anyone is going to give a 33/34 year old pitcher more than what he's making now, unless he dominates the Cy Young race (by that I mean winning 2 or 3, out of 3) the next few seasons. Grienke should have won the Cy this year and has been more dominant than Price has so his deal is more justified.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

8.89 ERA 2.26 WHIP.

Tigers fans said the same thing, Jays fans said the same thing... he is who he is. Great in the regular season but chokes large in big games. What was his ERA in the post season this year? I think something like 4.50 or 5.00 When you're being paid 31 mil a year you gotta be better than that plain and simple. Facts are facts and outside of a few good outings in the playoffs for the most part he's been mediocre to flat out bad.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
He also had a few to help lift the Jays from being a .500 team to being a playoff team

yeah but none of those starts came in the arbitrary time between the end of the regular season and the end of the postseason. who cares that he was outstanding for the jays! he can't get it done in certain weeks of october!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad