Signing(s): David Price to Red Sox (7 years/217 M)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
My guess is he's talking about Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart and Holt.

I' like Boggaerts. Bette is okay. Holt had a decent season but I'm curious to see if he will really produce that well again. They do have some potential talent there for the most part but there's still learning curves there. Nome of those guys will carry the team obviously at this point. In time could they become solid players? Yeah possibly but we are talking about this year I don't see them being amazing as far as a tran goes. Maybe one day this contract will work out but not now and I'd have to guess not in the last couple years. There will be a window though they will eventually have to replace a bat like Ortiz and a guy like Pedroia. So they'll have to get the pieces all there collectively. At the moment they are kind of a team in a transition period.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Boston was one of the the top teams in the AL the last two months of the season...it's not like he is going to Philly. And the AL East should be pretty mediocre next year....Toronto should be pretty good, but I don't expect the other 3 teams to be better than they were this year.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
$90M for the first three years and then he can opt out. Might end up being a nice little three-year deal for the Red Sox. If he doesn't opt out? Well, good luck in the last couple years of that contract. :laugh:

You consider those guys the key players on the team? I can't. There's no way you can think that.

I wouldn't pay him any attention.

30M for the first 3 years means that the last 4 could be a straight average of 31.75M (only saying we don't know how the last 4 are structured), we'll see if he exercises it, but perhaps he'll stay if they're winning consistently. I'm over the moon excited for this. Yeah, it is a lot of money, but the Sox needed a frontline SP, and they now got one. Very excited.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Worked out for Sabathia and will now work out for Greinke. Smart by Price and his agent.

Lets see how smart the Red Sox will be if he does opt out. That CC deal was great for the Yankees but then they re-signed him after the opt out and it's terrible now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wouldn't pay him any attention.

30M for the first 3 years means that the last 4 could be a straight average of 31.75M, we'll see if he exercises it, but perhaps he'll stay if they're winning consistently. I'm over the moon excited for this. Yeah, it is a lot of money, but the Sox needed a frontline SP, and they now got one. Very excited.

I doubt he'd opt out. Is he really going to make that much in his mid-late thirties elsewhere?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I' like Boggaerts. Bette is okay. Holt had a decent season but I'm curious to see if he will really produce that well again. They do have some potential talent there for the most part but there's still learning curves there. Nome of those guys will carry the team obviously at this point. In time could they become solid players? Yeah possibly but we are talking about this year I don't see them being amazing as far as a tran goes. Maybe one day this contract will work out but not now and I'd have to guess not in the last couple years. There will be a window though they will eventually have to replace a bat like Ortiz and a guy like Pedroia. So they'll have to get the pieces all there collectively. At the moment they are kind of a team in a transition period.

Bogaerts and Betts are better than okay. Still young and raw but they could be one of the best players in baseball at their positions. Pretty good duo to build your lineup around IMO.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Its the typical RedSox solution, trade all your prospects and spend all your money in hopes of buying a ring. They tried that in 2011.

In 2013 they were smart, no huge money deals, just smaller ones to round out the team.

Well they went 22 years before this year, so maybe :sarcasm: :naughty:

I said second behind Hayward.

Who is better? Defiantly not Cespedes, Desmond or Zobrist.

Csepedes and Davis to me are very similar. Lots of power and they are very streaky but they will also strikeout a lot.

Zobrist is a good "rounding" the team out type of player. He's not a star and doesn't have much power but he does do the little things which can help a contending team but he's not an elite player or anything. Desmond has a lot of potential but that dude can't stay healthy it seems.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lets see how smart the Red Sox will be if he does opt out. That CC deal was great for the Yankees but then they re-signed him after the opt out and it's terrible now.

Yankees hands were tied. CC was still very good and Yankees lacked a TOR arm. Didn't help that the market was thin either.

Sep 19, 2008
Boston was one of the the top teams in the AL the last two months of the season...it's not like he is going to Philly. And the AL East should be pretty mediocre next year....Toronto should be pretty good, but I don't expect the other 3 teams to be better than they were this year.

2016 AL East

New York
Toronto
Boston
Tampa
Baltimore

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
No. People go too too ga ga over young players. They still have to prove they can consistently perform. Baseball people more than any other sport can be so touchy feely and snobbish.

Betts has done nothing but perform - from his time rocketing up the minors to his short, hugely successful MLB career - and his skillset is about as close to bust-proof as it gets.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
No. People go too too ga ga over young players. They still have to prove they can consistently perform. Baseball people more than any other sport can be so touchy feely and snobbish.

He was a 5 WAR (almost) player and played most of the season as a 22 year old.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Bogaerts and Betts are better than okay. Still young and raw but they could be one of the best players in baseball at their positions. Pretty good duo to build your lineup around IMO.

Lots of potential but at this moment its just really that. If we are talking 2016 I highly doubt they will put them over the top or anything. They'll still need guys like Ortiz to perform. In the future it will be different. But not in the immediate. Over time this could work out but there's growing pains too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad