Speculation: David Perron, Why not?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
he has played with many star players. never produced

I'm not interested at all

He had 57 points in Edmonton plus 42pts in 57 games one year he was hurt...0.58 PPGM in today's NHL is nothing to spit on.

...and I'm not a huge Perron fan...but I think in this market he might be a great value for 1-2 years.

BUT he can't be your big top 6 addition.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
i would not go all in on that. If Danault cant replace Eller than you shot yourself in the foot.

if he can you move Eller later in season.

I would rather get a higher end guy liek those mentioned (Okposo, Boedker, Eriksson).

One guy that doesn't get enough respect is Brouwer. He would bring size and scoring to our top siz on the right side. He is the player they should target.

I think you need TWO top 6 caliber forwards...one big gun(Okposo Boedker etc) and a secondary "buy low" guy that should be cheap in this market to buy you a year for Andrighetto/Carr/Mccarron/Lehkonen to play top 6. Ideally, Carr and Andrighetto help form a skilled 3rd line with Danault.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Please find comparable to Eller at 1.5-1.8...

So Eller has a value around:
Mark Letestu/John Mitchell 1.8
Melker Karlsson 1.65
Nate Thompson 1.6
Alexander Burmistrov 1,55
Cody McCormik/Greg Campbell 1.5

Yeah sure.

As for Danault, he's a RFA so of course he cost less, but Eller is better than him.

Bonino at 1.9 is wayyy better.

Mitchell is a good comparison.

D.Moore was making 1.5 mil.

3.5 mil for an inconsistant 25 point guy is bad value.

Danault will cost around 800k and can do 90 to 95% of what Eller does, if you can dump him and save the 3.5 mil you do it...FAST!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Aspirations must be higher than perron. He would likely be an upgrade on semin or kassian, but the Habs should be looking for bonafide top 6 options.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Perron > Eller

100 times out of 100

That doesn't make sense.. Eller is a 3C... Perron is a winger that can only work in the top 6 and we're unsure if he will.

Maybe I do Perron for 2 years if we trade for JVR because we could do the cap-hits, but they are both LW.. so it doesn't make sure.

JVR through trade and Okposo on free agency remains the best option for this team. Our GM will do neither.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No one is talking Staal.............do you guys think he would take a cheap 2 yr deal from a team?
3.5M X 2yrs?? He has declined big time, but was that because the Canes were a bottom feeder without a future?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
No one is talking Staal.............do you guys think he would take a cheap 2 yr deal from a team?
3.5M X 2yrs?? He has declined big time, but was that because the Canes were a bottom feeder without a future?

he will get paid significantly more than 3.5m

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.

The thing with Staal is that he is a declining centerman. He has size, he is physical, he has good possession number, but cant finish anymore.

If we sign Staal it has to be ala Brad Richards deal (lower then 2M$), and you need to trade DD and Eller, cauze he'll be taking their place.

He has leadership that we lacks. But is he the one you go after at first? Nop, maybe in mid-july, when all your other options are over.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Perron is a loser, you don't win with a guy like that. There's a reason why two contending teams like St. Louis and Pittsburgh had enough of him.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I would not mind Perron, but in order to sign him we would need to shed Desharnais or Eller.

He would be my #6 top 6 F, so you still need to sign a guy like Eriksson Lucic Stamkos(unlikely you can afford Perron) Backes Okposo Boedker as your #3, 4 or 5 F

IMO we need to move both regardless. That's 7M we could spend in a much much better way. And that better way probably isn't Perron. Why not two of Lucic, Eriksson, Okposo ? If we got rid of both DD and Eller we would definitely have the cap room.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Perron > Eller

100 times out of 100

In the last 2 seasons:

Perron: 56 EV points -26 / 22 EV goals
Eller: 47 EV points -19 / 25 EV goals

And the worst part is that Perron was actually used in a pure offensive role while Eller was more in a defensive\2-way role with less TOI.

Of course Perron is 100 times better than Eller....if he's on the PP and only play offensive hockey.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Perron could be a nice add for second wheel in case of. He's good but I think McCaron could be a better option at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad