Speculation: David Perron, Why not?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If you can nab him at 3.5M, it's a very interesting option. He's highly skilled and has proven to be able to give you top 6 production.

But as others have echoed, he's not a top priority. I would definitely target Okposo, Eriksson, Stamkos are top targets on the FA front and I'd definitely target JVR for a trade.

But if you can land one of those guys, Perron becomes a great depth signing if it's cheap.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
A bunch of those aren't in the same salary range - and Juri Hudler, really?

Sure but when you start limiting yourself based on contract demands, that's why you have to settle for guys like Perron/Semin. Jiri Hudler is a year removed from 76 points which is only a point less than DP's last two seasons. Hudler has also reached the 50 points mark 4 times in his career. I'd rather roll the dice on Hudler's season being an off year than commit to Perron and his idiotic style of play.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Apparently he's looking at 3.5 for 2 years according to the OP. At 4 million+, it's an automatic no thank you, but the guy is willing to sign lower so... It's discussion worthy.

It's the same kind of deal I would offer to McGinn and/or Stempniak. It gives just enough space for the youngster to challenge the position without taking the risk of being caught with nobody if they fail. If they succeed you can play whoever you signed on the 3rd line without too many issues.

Perron wants $3.5M per year for 2 years, or total?

If it's per year, I'm gonna pass.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Perron wants $3.5M per year for 2 years, or total?

If it's per year, I'm gonna pass.

Following on the OP's replies, it's per year. You pass on July 1st sure, but then again in the middle of the summer when you realize our GM is still Marc Bougearien... I would probably do it. 2 years isn't the end of the world and 3.5 million is a manageable contract or at worst it's another Eller contract.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Perron is trash and would be run out much like PAP. If you are looking at budget options Hudler is probably much better at around $4 million per for a couple years.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Only way we should be fine with acquiring Perron is if he's the second best forward we acquire this offseason.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd be fine with 2-3 years at $3-3.5m. Allows us to still pursue Eriksson or Okposo. I'm leaning towards Eriksson. He's a fantastic two way winger and he's not exactly small. Okposo is about equal offensively, but younger. Nowhere near Eriksson defensively though.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I'd be fine with 2-3 years at $3-3.5m. Allows us to still pursue Eriksson or Okposo. I'm leaning towards Eriksson. He's a fantastic two way winger and he's not exactly small. Okposo is about equal offensively, but younger. Nowhere near Eriksson defensively though.

The only reason why Okposo seems like a better fit is the fact he's right-handed and would help the cycle in the o-zone, as we lack RH forwards. We only have Gallagher, Mitchell and Flynn.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would not mind Perron, but in order to sign him we would need to shed Desharnais or Eller.

He would be my #6 top 6 F, so you still need to sign a guy like Eriksson Lucic Stamkos(unlikely you can afford Perron) Backes Okposo Boedker as your #3, 4 or 5 F

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
What an ignorant thing to say. Do some research before making statement like this, make you look ridiculous.

Just so you know:

Plekanec 15-16 salary 5M$ for 54 pts

Zetterberg 7.5M$ - 50 pts
D. Brown 7.25M$ - 28 pts
Gaborik 6.025M$ - 22 pts (54games, still a lot worse PPG than Plekanec)
Dubinsky 5.85M$ - 48 pts
Foglino 5.5M$ - 37 pts
Zajac 5.75M$ - 42 pts
Callahan 5.8M$ - 28 pts
Fillipula 5M$ - 31 pts
Marleau 6.66M$ - 48 pts
Vanek 6.5M$ - 41 pts
Parise 7.5M$ - 53 pts
M. Koivu 6.75M$ - 56 pts
Hossa - 5.275M$ - 33 pts
Toews 13.8M$ - 58 pts ---- haha. makes almost 3 times of Plekanec's salary but only outproduced Plek by 4 pts
J. Staal 6M$ - 48 pts
Skinner - 5.75M$ - 51 pts
E. Staal 9.5M$ - 33 pts

These are only the players that makes more than Plekanec. I can go on and on and on.

Plekanec had a tough season, just like everyone else. He wasn't that terrible. The injuries had an impact to EVERYONE. With a full line-up, Plekanec does pretty well like his numbers at the beginning of the season show.

Pleks was absoluete **** last year and he's getting old. He missed scoring chances constantly. He's a big reason why habs were historically awful along with dd and awful goaltending.

Your number 1 and 2 c need to produce 50 goals.

Pleks was flat out terrible at scoring last year given his chances and I dont see him getting better this year.

I stand by my opinion and want him gone along with dd.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Which is still more than DD and 36 points on the habs is top 6 material lol.
Agreed but not only on the Habs.

Teams forwards with 40+ points:
Washington had 7, Dallas had 4, TBL had 4, SJS had 5 (Couture injured), Pens had 5, NYR had 5, Habs had 4, Minn had 6, FLA had 6, CBJ had 6, AVs had 5, BOS had 5.

To resume:
  • Washington with 7;
  • Minn, FLA and CBJ with 6;
  • SJS, Pens, NYR, AVs and Bos with 5.
So top-10 teams (AVs, CBJ, BOS?) with 5 or more 40+ points scorer.

BTW, I do not want to burst your bubble but DD's pace was 36.58 points last season.
About his teammates and TOI, you can also look at this.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Honestly, if the Habs sign Perron, i will literally go ape sh**t. This guy is another Tanguay, and we all know how that worked out..(another bone headed trade by genius Gainey).

Tanguay was nearly a point per game player. Was he that bad? I don't believe he was.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pleks was absoluete **** last year and he's getting old. He missed scoring chances constantly. He's a big reason why habs were historically awful along with dd and awful goaltending.

Your number 1 and 2 c need to produce 50 goals.

Pleks was flat out terrible at scoring last year given his chances and I dont see him getting better this year.

I stand by my opinion and want him gone along with dd.

You need to check your facts.

Plekanc was on pace for 60 points until the two best wingers were both put with Galchenyuk and he finished the year with guys like Byron and Mitchell on his wings for a lot of his minutes.

He had TWO less points than Galchenyuk and you can't compare those two players away from the puck. Galchenyuk also got a boatload more offensive zone starts.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The guy had 36 points last year, he's borderline useless.

Desharnais is useful, but it has to be in the right situation. You have to play him with somebody that can shoot the puck.

He would benefit from a change of scenery, unfortunately with the downward pressure on the cap, it might be hard to move him. If you can get a big fish, I think MB can be creative about moving him, maybe get back a similar contract who needs a fresh start...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I'm in trade one of DD or Eller. Will probably be Eller but DD would be so much better to trade. Give 3.5 too Perron and have a 6-7 Million for a 1st line LW. Perron on the 2nd line would be great for the Habs if they get rid of one of the 3.5 million centers.

I'm sorry but Eller at 3.5M>>>>Perron at 3.5M.

Change for the sake of change. I get it, we are all upset with the way this team has been structured for 4 years now.

But Eller is a good 3rd liner. He plays PK and has size and strength that is nice to have in the playoffs. He isn't my favorite player by any means but moving him out in favour of a guy like Perron is a mistake imo.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Perron + okposo/eriksson, is 100% ok.

Perron + weise isn't.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Perron can be your "depth" addition, maybe a cheap 1 year "prove it" deal or 2 years at 3-3.5 mil.

No matter what you need a 50-60 point C/W to compete with the big boys...and the market is ripe for the picking this summer...unless a bunch of guys re-sign the last 10 days.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm sorry but Eller at 3.5M>>>>Perron at 3.5M.

Change for the sake of change. I get it, we are all upset with the way this team has been structured for 4 years now.

But Eller is a good 3rd liner. He plays PK and has size and strength that is nice to have in the playoffs. He isn't my favorite player by any means but moving him out in favour of a guy like Perron is a mistake imo.

A 3.5 mil top 6 forward is better than a 3.5 mil 3rd liner.

I don't agree that Eller is above average for a 3rd liner, not at a 3.5 mil cap hit...maybe at 1.5-1.8...

I'm not a huge Perron fan, but a 20 goal/48 point second liner below 4 mil is good value and a great fit for the Habs. Danault can replace Eller for a lot less.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I'm not a huge Perron fan, but a 20 goal/48 point second liner below 4 mil is good value and a great fit for the Habs. Danault can replace Eller for a lot less.

i would not go all in on that. If Danault cant replace Eller than you shot yourself in the foot.

if he can you move Eller later in season.

I would rather get a higher end guy liek those mentioned (Okposo, Boedker, Eriksson).

One guy that doesn't get enough respect is Brouwer. He would bring size and scoring to our top siz on the right side. He is the player they should target.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
A 3.5 mil top 6 forward is better than a 3.5 mil 3rd liner.

I don't agree that Eller is above average for a 3rd liner, not at a 3.5 mil cap hit...maybe at 1.5-1.8...

Please find comparable to Eller at 1.5-1.8...

So Eller has a value around:
Mark Letestu/John Mitchell 1.8
Melker Karlsson 1.65
Nate Thompson 1.6
Alexander Burmistrov 1,55
Cody McCormik/Greg Campbell 1.5

Yeah sure.

As for Danault, he's a RFA so of course he cost less, but Eller is better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad