Speculation: David Perron, Why not?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Perron would be the last player I'd sign honestly. I want nothing to do with him, I'd rather roll the dice with Hudon, Lehkonen and company.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
What an ignorant thing to say. Do some research before making statement like this, make you look ridiculous.

Just so you know:

Plekanec 15-16 salary 5M$ for 54 pts

I mostly agree with your point and I don't think the point/$ in Plek's case is that bad at all, especially considering his defensive play.

However one thing that's been bothering me with Plek is when he produces. He always produces a lot early on in the season, and usually cools down as the season progresses and it doesn't go back up in the playoffs.

I think his work ethic and professionalism makes him start the season just a step ahead of pretty much everyone else, and he racks up points. But nearing the end of the season when there's less space and eveyrone is giving it all, he has a hard time putting up points, and he becomes pretty expensive for a mostly defensive role.

I'm not a fan of his contract. Nothing against the player, I think he can be on a winning team in a 2rd/3rd line center role, but right now I think he's too expensive for a team that lacks playoff performers.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
David Perron is a skilled top 6 forward capable of 50 points, and who's not gonna steal Galchenyuk's spot at center. If you can get this guy for around 3M$, you just do it, quebequer or not.

50 points twice in 9 NHL seasons. Very debateable if he is even capable at this point in his career. Dont care about pace, injuries count

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I mostly agree with your point and I don't think the point/$ in Plek's case is that bad at all, especially considering his defensive play.

However one thing that's been bothering me with Plek is when he produces. He always produces a lot early on in the season, and usually cools down as the season progresses and it doesn't go back up in the playoffs.

I think his work ethic and professionalism makes him start the season just a step ahead of pretty much everyone else, and he racks up points. But nearing the end of the season when there's less space and eveyrone is giving it all, he has a hard time putting up points, and he becomes pretty expensive for a mostly defensive role.

I'm not a fan of his contract. Nothing against the player, I think he can be on a winning team in a 2rd/3rd line center role, but right now I think he's too expensive for a team that lacks playoff performers.

Plus, by those in the industry, he is considered one of the best 2 way forwards in the league.
Listen to the way they talk about him on TSN, Sportsnet, etc...
He is consistently compared or at least rank right behind Patrice Bergeron.
Many of the fans on this board severely undervalue good players like Plekanec, while simultaneously overvaluing mediocre players like Eller.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Hed be another Parenteau. My main target is Loui Eriksson or Okposo but the latter will be pricey.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Hed be another Parenteau. My main target is Loui Eriksson or Okposo but the latter will be pricey.

All the top targets will be pricey and most probably not coming to Montreal. If the GM wants us to have low expectations, Perron is pretty low expectations.

Marksman

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site

There is an easy explanation to that.

18:31.

Plekanec is, along with Pacioretty, our most used forward.

Also hes one of the usual PK forwards too, which really burns his energy for 5-5 play.

If we didnt have DD as 3rd line center, he could stay fresh longer.

Marksman

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site

There is an easy explanation to that.

18:31.

Plekanec is, along with Pacioretty, our most used forward.

Also hes one of the usual PK forwards too, which really burns his energy for 5-5 play towards the end of seasons.

If we didnt have DD as 3rd line center, he could stay fresh longer.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If we can sign him cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Our priority though must be Stamkos, JVR, Okposo, Eriksson and etc. Perron is simply that extra piece once we have our main guy. Still, I would flirt with what Edmonton wants for Yakupov first. He's much younger and I suspect a change of scenery will do him wonders.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Perron for 1 year or 2 if the cap hit is lower than is current salary would make sense. He scored 28 in 2013 and is the same age as Patches.

I am not all that tempted by Eriksson. He is a perimeter player who conveniently just had his best season in 6 years right before entering the UFA market. His post season stats aren't really impressive and I don't remember noticing him at all during our most recent playoffs battles with the Bruins.

Okposo sounds appealing but he got injured and was playing with Tavares so his points total may have been inflated a bit. He has interesting size (Rene Bourque size) but is he a true power forward? I have some reservations there.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If we can sign him cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Our priority though must be Stamkos, JVR, Okposo, Eriksson and etc. Perron is simply that extra piece once we have our main guy. Still, I would flirt with what Edmonton wants for Yakupov first. He's much younger and I suspect a change of scenery will do him wonders.
I honestly don't think Boston will let Eriksson walk, also I don't see MB willing to pay up for Stamkos. That leaves us JVR and Okposo. Of those, Okposo is the obvious primary target due to positional needs.
If MB can't address that RW issue this off season, he should be fired and replaced before puck drop on opening night.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Not sure Perron is the solution. I would rather have Carr and Andrighetto taking shots at the top 6 then signing Perron at 4+mil a year.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Not sure Perron is the solution. I would rather have Carr and Andrighetto taking shots at the top 6 then signing Perron at 4+mil a year.

Apparently he's looking at 3.5 for 2 years according to the OP. At 4 million+, it's an automatic no thank you, but the guy is willing to sign lower so... It's discussion worthy.

It's the same kind of deal I would offer to McGinn and/or Stempniak. It gives just enough space for the youngster to challenge the position without taking the risk of being caught with nobody if they fail. If they succeed you can play whoever you signed on the 3rd line without too many issues.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I honestly don't think Boston will let Eriksson walk, also I don't see MB willing to pay up for Stamkos. That leaves us JVR and Okposo. Of those, Okposo is the obvious primary target due to positional needs.
If MB can't address that RW issue this off season, he should be fired and replaced before puck drop on opening night.

I tend to agree. While it won't happen, if we do miss out on Stamkos, I wish we'd go after both JVR and Okposo. With Galchenyuk moving to center, we need a LW as well. Perhaps more so now since Ghetto players RW. In any case, I'll be among the first demanding Bergevin's head if we go into 2016-17 without a good top six winger.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I tend to agree. While it won't happen, if we do miss out on Stamkos, I wish we'd go after both JVR and Okposo. With Galchenyuk moving to center, we need a LW as well. Perhaps more so now since Ghetto players RW. In any case, I'll be among the first demanding Bergevin's head if we go into 2016-17 without a good top six winger.

I wonder why the impasse between Okposo and the Islanders? Is it a salary thing, a personality thing or something else?

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I wonder why the impasse between Okposo and the Islanders? Is it a salary thing, a personality thing or something else?
I don't know as fact, but I'm thinking it's term and money.
The Isles have JT coming up in a couple years, plus other players who will want more money, so they might not be willing to commit what KO wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad