Player Discussion David Pastrnak

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
imo honestly deserved the mvp last year. Considering what the award means , MVP of the team , well look at the stats and the year they had and the next guy on the bruins points wasnt even close . Take MCdavid out and they have Leon . And there is this year and what he is able to do without a number one center compared to the other players on top of the league leaders . Just sayin
1David PastrnakR826152113+343818013440715.019:3422.242.1
2Brad MarchandL73214667+2774904018311.518:3224.238.6
3Patrice BergeronC78273158+3522927024910.817:2425.261.1
4Pavel ZachaC82213657+2616303

1Connor McDavidC826489153+223621411235218.222:2323.351.9
2Leon DraisaitlC805276128+72432111124721.121:4422.754.9
3Ryan Nugent-HopkinsC823767104+12351513020118.419:4822.945.2
4Zach HymanL79364783+13391503

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
1706027209621.png

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

TORONTO — David Pastrnak likes apples, too.
The Bruins All-Star right wing, known for his ability to score goals like it’s nobody’s business, has continued to do just that — he has 33 in 49 games.
This season, however, it hasn’t just been about putting the biscuit in the basket. He’s also been feeding his teammates at an impressive clip, amassing 39 assists (a.k.a. apples in hockey parlance).
It may be a surprising development to most, but not to Pastrnak, in town for his fourth career All-Star Game appearance.
“I guess they just started burying the goals finally after my passes now,” said Pastrnak, playfully chiding his teammates. “No, I’m not surprised at all. I know my hockey IQ was always there. It was always there before any of my shots or one-timers came. My hockey IQ growing up, I was always a passer/playmaker. I’ve never scored more goals than I had apples until I came to the NHL, so I’m not surprised at all.”

“I’m more surprised about the goal scorer I became and obviously happy because scoring goals is addictive,” said Pastrnak, who has 334 goals in 641 regular-season games. “I love scoring goals, so it’s amazing. But more if I have to pick, I’m definitely more surprised about the goal scorer I’ve become than the playmaker.”

Fresh off a season in which he collected career highs in goals (61) and points (113), many predicted a dip in production, especially with the retirements of his two main setup men: Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci.

Instead, Pastrnak has turned his game up a notch and is on pace for 120 points. He knew the burden to produce would be there and he embraced it.

“I think it’s just his mentality that he loves the pressure of having to lead us offensively and just how much better he’s gotten. He’s a much better hockey player this year than last year,” said coach Jim Montgomery. “It’s 200-foot-wise. It’s how now he’s carrying the puck more. He’s hanging onto the puck more; he used to dart in and out, now he’s kind of like the guy that drives the play.”

Pastrnak’s done it all while seamlessly getting used to and comfortable with new linemates. As he pointed out, you can’t just show up and be the same player when the guys you’re skating with change. You must change, too.

“Yeah, I definitely adjust my game a lot when I play. I’m used to it because when I played with Bergy and Marchy [Brad Marchand], it would be such a fast game. They like to play fast,” said Pastrnak of the famed Perfection Line. “And then when I played Krech, he would like to slow the game down. So, I had never had a problem with that.”

This season Pastrnak has had to adjust to a couple of new centers, first Pavel Zacha and more recently Charlie Coyle.

“With Pav, I played previously, but he was always on the wing. This is the first time he’s at center, so there were some adjustments we had to make and I am still honestly learning with Pav at center, and we work on it every day,” he said. “So yeah, there are always new linemates. Same with Charlie. With Charlie, I’ve only played two or three games and didn’t have much practice, so I didn’t get much time to work yet.”

Not only has Pastrnak been counted on to fill up the scoresheet, but he’s also helped fill the leadership void, being named an alternate captain for the first time.

“Knowing that I have to have a voice a little bit more in the locker room than past years. I was always the same on the ice and on the bench. I spoke up when I feel like I should on the bench, but in the room, I would never speak up because we had leaders like Bergy, previously Z [Zdeno Chara], Marchy always, [Nick] Foligno, David Backes. Previously, there were always a lot of voices in the locker room,” saidthe 27-year-old.

“This year obviously we lost some of the voices in the locker room. So, I know it’s been amazing and there’s a lot of guys who stepped up and anybody can speak up in the locker room, so it’s amazing. So that’s probably my only change — that I definitely try to speak up ands hear my voice a little bit more in the locker room between periods than in the past.”

Montgomery has been impressed with the leadership Pastrnak has displayed.

“I see someone who understands that now, what he does every day besides in games, matters,” said the coach. “And it’s nice to see him want to be a role model for the other players, and Marchy needed that kind of help from him and Mac [Charlie McAvoy].”

Despite the added responsibilities, Pastrnak has been playing what fellow All-Star Igor Shesterkin called “relaxed” hockey.

“He’s [a] special player. He looks like relaxed and … sometimes it feels like he doesn’t want to score,” the Rangers goalie said of Pastrnak passing instead, “and it happens. When you don’t think about it, that’s when it can happen. You have to be ready for anything when he’s on the ice.”

Pastrnak said Shesterkin’s scouting report is right on target.

“Yeah, because soon as I am not relaxed, that’s when I start making mistakes,” he said. “That’s when I don’t feel well, don’t play well. So yeah, I know I have to enjoy it, have to have fun, and be relaxed.”

Of all his new roles, the one Pastrnak enjoys most is being a dad to his daughter, Freya, born last June. She stole the show at his All-Star press conference and will sometimes show up at TD Garden for pregame warm-ups.

“It’s great. I enjoy every second of it. I love playing with her. It’s just watching her grow and change every single week,” he said. “It’s crazy how they’re so small, but they change so much, so quickly and growing and every day; every week there’s a new thing she does that she didn’t do the week before. So, I think that’s my favorite so far.”

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

TORONTO — David Pastrnak likes apples, too.
The Bruins All-Star right wing, known for his ability to score goals like it’s nobody’s business, has continued to do just that — he has 33 in 49 games.
This season, however, it hasn’t just been about putting the biscuit in the basket. He’s also been feeding his teammates at an impressive clip, amassing 39 assists (a.k.a. apples in hockey parlance).
It may be a surprising development to most, but not to Pastrnak, in town for his fourth career All-Star Game appearance.
“I guess they just started burying the goals finally after my passes now,” said Pastrnak, playfully chiding his teammates. “No, I’m not surprised at all. I know my hockey IQ was always there. It was always there before any of my shots or one-timers came. My hockey IQ growing up, I was always a passer/playmaker. I’ve never scored more goals than I had apples until I came to the NHL, so I’m not surprised at all.”

“I’m more surprised about the goal scorer I became and obviously happy because scoring goals is addictive,” said Pastrnak, who has 334 goals in 641 regular-season games. “I love scoring goals, so it’s amazing. But more if I have to pick, I’m definitely more surprised about the goal scorer I’ve become than the playmaker.”

Fresh off a season in which he collected career highs in goals (61) and points (113), many predicted a dip in production, especially with the retirements of his two main setup men: Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci.

Instead, Pastrnak has turned his game up a notch and is on pace for 120 points. He knew the burden to produce would be there and he embraced it.

“I think it’s just his mentality that he loves the pressure of having to lead us offensively and just how much better he’s gotten. He’s a much better hockey player this year than last year,” said coach Jim Montgomery. “It’s 200-foot-wise. It’s how now he’s carrying the puck more. He’s hanging onto the puck more; he used to dart in and out, now he’s kind of like the guy that drives the play.”

Pastrnak’s done it all while seamlessly getting used to and comfortable with new linemates. As he pointed out, you can’t just show up and be the same player when the guys you’re skating with change. You must change, too.

“Yeah, I definitely adjust my game a lot when I play. I’m used to it because when I played with Bergy and Marchy [Brad Marchand], it would be such a fast game. They like to play fast,” said Pastrnak of the famed Perfection Line. “And then when I played Krech, he would like to slow the game down. So, I had never had a problem with that.”

This season Pastrnak has had to adjust to a couple of new centers, first Pavel Zacha and more recently Charlie Coyle.

“With Pav, I played previously, but he was always on the wing. This is the first time he’s at center, so there were some adjustments we had to make and I am still honestly learning with Pav at center, and we work on it every day,” he said. “So yeah, there are always new linemates. Same with Charlie. With Charlie, I’ve only played two or three games and didn’t have much practice, so I didn’t get much time to work yet.”

Not only has Pastrnak been counted on to fill up the scoresheet, but he’s also helped fill the leadership void, being named an alternate captain for the first time.

“Knowing that I have to have a voice a little bit more in the locker room than past years. I was always the same on the ice and on the bench. I spoke up when I feel like I should on the bench, but in the room, I would never speak up because we had leaders like Bergy, previously Z [Zdeno Chara], Marchy always, [Nick] Foligno, David Backes. Previously, there were always a lot of voices in the locker room,” saidthe 27-year-old.

“This year obviously we lost some of the voices in the locker room. So, I know it’s been amazing and there’s a lot of guys who stepped up and anybody can speak up in the locker room, so it’s amazing. So that’s probably my only change — that I definitely try to speak up ands hear my voice a little bit more in the locker room between periods than in the past.”

Montgomery has been impressed with the leadership Pastrnak has displayed.

“I see someone who understands that now, what he does every day besides in games, matters,” said the coach. “And it’s nice to see him want to be a role model for the other players, and Marchy needed that kind of help from him and Mac [Charlie McAvoy].”

Despite the added responsibilities, Pastrnak has been playing what fellow All-Star Igor Shesterkin called “relaxed” hockey.

“He’s [a] special player. He looks like relaxed and … sometimes it feels like he doesn’t want to score,” the Rangers goalie said of Pastrnak passing instead, “and it happens. When you don’t think about it, that’s when it can happen. You have to be ready for anything when he’s on the ice.”

Pastrnak said Shesterkin’s scouting report is right on target.

“Yeah, because soon as I am not relaxed, that’s when I start making mistakes,” he said. “That’s when I don’t feel well, don’t play well. So yeah, I know I have to enjoy it, have to have fun, and be relaxed.”

Of all his new roles, the one Pastrnak enjoys most is being a dad to his daughter, Freya, born last June. She stole the show at his All-Star press conference and will sometimes show up at TD Garden for pregame warm-ups.

“It’s great. I enjoy every second of it. I love playing with her. It’s just watching her grow and change every single week,” he said. “It’s crazy how they’re so small, but they change so much, so quickly and growing and every day; every week there’s a new thing she does that she didn’t do the week before. So, I think that’s my favorite so far.”
Thanks Wally, great read.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think part of my offseason acceptance of the Bruins being "not great" this year was that in losing Bergeron, a guy like Pastrnak was not consistent enough to be able to fill that steady void Bergy provided. Have always loved Brad, but didn't know if he had it in him either.

Pasta is an insanely talented player, but he's always had his stretches, where even if he is still contributing in points, he is out of sync.

I'm not sure if it's a better workout routine, a different headspace, or whatever. But this season, the lulls and drops in his level of play are very few and far between. The one game I really think of this year in terms of him being "off" was the game against the Avalanche in Denver. But whereas in previous seasons, that would have been the beginning of a handful of games where he was not at his best, he came right back the following game.

It can't be understated how big of a difference it has made to have both him (and at a physical level) Trent Frederic seemingly erase almost all of the lulls and drops in play that intermittently plagued both players. That consistency (along with Marchand stepping up big time as captain) is, IMO, what has made this team so good...again...this season.

Huge bonus also that he seems like a genuinely good-natured, humble guy. A fantastic representative of the more skill-based Bruins of modern times.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He has been rounding out his game more and it’s good to see that it hasn’t come at the expense of his offense

Reactions: Ladyfan

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think part of my offseason acceptance of the Bruins being "not great" this year was that in losing Bergeron, a guy like Pastrnak was not consistent enough to be able to fill that steady void Bergy provided. Have always loved Brad, but didn't know if he had it in him either.

Pasta is an insanely talented player, but he's always had his stretches, where even if he is still contributing in points, he is out of sync.

I'm not sure if it's a better workout routine, a different headspace, or whatever. But this season, the lulls and drops in his level of play are very few and far between. The one game I really think of this year in terms of him being "off" was the game against the Avalanche in Denver. But whereas in previous seasons, that would have been the beginning of a handful of games where he was not at his best, he came right back the following game.

It can't be understated how big of a difference it has made to have both him (and at a physical level) Trent Frederic seemingly erase almost all of the lulls and drops in play that intermittently plagued both players. That consistency (along with Marchand stepping up big time as captain) is, IMO, what has made this team so good...again...this season.

Huge bonus also that he seems like a genuinely good-natured, humble guy. A fantastic representative of the more skill-based Bruins of modern times.

Becoming a dad and having the old guard all retire the same year certainly seem like a couple of things that could cause a shift in your mindset.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Based on everything out there right now, at least we know it's just a dollars issue. I wonder what the gap is, maybe 1.5m?

Strikes me as a situation where Jake would be sad to leave, but isn't gonna come off his number. This might be an ok free agent class for him to gamble like that.

This feels like a spot where we just want Jake to go on a wicked heater and we sign him at his number and it's over.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
From where we sit, we have seen Pasta developing into a leader for a few years. The "A" belongs on him. I notice he is often interviewed to speak for the team. He has grown. It has been fun to watch.
you said it all I think this kid has grown right in front of us and in all aspects. I also like this kid does not seem full of himself and seems to be enjoying what he does it ,with who does he does it , and who he does it in front of.............

Reactions: Alicat

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
you said it all I think this kid has grown right in front of us and in all aspects. I also like this kid does not seem full of himself and seems to be enjoying what he does it ,with who does he does it , and who he does it in front of.............
exactly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad