Player Discussion David Pastrnak

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
B's fans, Neutral fan coming here to say what an electric player this guy is. And the goal scoring? Finding a Rocket winner and one of the best goal scorers in the NHL for the last 5 years at 25th overall? Diamond in the rough there guys

Amazing talent and ambassador for modern Czech hockey. Formed one of the most dominant lines in hockey too and I don't think that's up for any debate! He'd definitely be the first player I'd get on a Bruins jersey

Tonight, was that slap pass on the Coyle goal intentional? He's so good that I have a hard time thinking it wasn't. Timing and precision make him so dangerous every time he touches the puck

Absolutely not intentional. You can see on the replay he just missed the puck and it caught the toe of his stick and somehow went across to Coyle perfectly. Even considering who it was that did it, executing something like that intentionally is virtually impossible.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
B's fans, Neutral fan coming here to say what an electric player this guy is. And the goal scoring? Finding a Rocket winner and one of the best goal scorers in the NHL for the last 5 years at 25th overall? Diamond in the rough there guys

Amazing talent and ambassador for modern Czech hockey. Formed one of the most dominant lines in hockey too and I don't think that's up for any debate! He'd definitely be the first player I'd get on a Bruins jersey

Tonight, was that slap pass on the Coyle goal intentional? He's so good that I have a hard time thinking it wasn't. Timing and precision make him so dangerous every time he touches the puck
Pasta has a great attitude. He has so much positive energy. He is very easy to like.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Don't want to think about where we'd be without him. Hope he wins the Richard and its not close.

This years depth guys are still TBD but the core players are the reason we don't have any regulation losses yet.

Reactions: Alicat and Ladyfan

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Maybe it's just me, but watching Pasta, from what I can see on TV, during pre-game to the end of the game it seems like he's more dialed-in than ever. Yeah, he still smiles plenty, but he also has a certain seriousness that I haven't seen before from him.

His on-ice play is also getting more well-rounded. He is going for more hits, is more responsible with the puck, playing better defense, and of course is playing great hockey in the offensive zone. Small sample size, I know, but this is the happiest I've ever been with Pasta's overall play. I think we are seeing him take multiple aspects of his game to a new level. Hope he keeps it up.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Maybe it's just me, but watching Pasta, from what I can see on TV, during pre-game to the end of the game it seems like he's more dialed-in than ever. Yeah, he still smiles plenty, but he also has a certain seriousness that I haven't seen before from him.

His on-ice play is also getting more well-rounded. He is going for more hits, is more responsible with the puck, playing better defense, and of course is playing great hockey in the offensive zone. Small sample size, I know, but this is the happiest I've ever been with Pasta's overall play. I think we are seeing him take multiple aspects of his game to a new level. Hope he keeps it up.

I like David a lot as a pure goal scorer, and he's always had that positive vibe. I'm still not thrilled by the flyby's and lack of back checking, both of which were in evidence in the TO game.

But, I loved that hit last night -- he leads the team, if you can believe that -- and when he hits, it's for real.

What I've noticed the past two seasons, especially this year, is that he doesn't look like a kid anymore. I think he's taking the "A" seriously.

My tell tale sign?

Look at his hair. It's (relatively) short.

That's when I know a kid is becoming a man in the NHL.

1699037144101.png

1699037542444.png

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I like David a lot as a pure goal scorer, and he's always had that positive vibe. I'm still not thrilled by the flyby's and lack of back checking, both of which were in evidence in the TO game.

But, I loved that hit last night -- he leads the team, if you can believe that -- and when he hits, it's for real.

What I've noticed the past two seasons, especially this year, is that he doesn't look like a kid anymore. I think he's taking the "A" seriously.

My tell tale sign?

Look at his hair. It's (relatively) short.

That's when I know a kid is becoming a man in the NHL.

View attachment 762486

View attachment 762494
I kind of like the longer curls. He had them until recently.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

David Pastrnak keeps shooting, keeps scoring, keeps on keeping on, even with the Bruins’ top two centers, Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, permanently off to the sidelines and luxuriating in their post-puck doctorates.
The two elite pivots are gone, but No. 88′s goals just keep coming.
Pastrnak, with an 11-13–24 goals line in 15 games on the heels of his career-best 61-goal effort last season, is scoring at a pace that would deliver another 60-goal season. The exact projection is 60.133 over an 82-game season, in case we have any analytics sticklers ready to demand full decimal point accountability.
Now let’s hold it right there for a second. That’s a pace for another 60-goal season, two in a row, something done by a Bruin only by Phil Esposito in the ‘70s and not accomplished in the NHL at large in 30 years.

The last NHL playerer to put up 60 in consecutive seasons was Pavel Bure, the Russian Rocket, who posted 60 with the Canucks in 1992-93 and ‘93-’94. The second of those campaigns led the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Final against the Rangers, a playoff run in which the then 23-year old slammed home 16 more goals in 24 games.

“I thought he’d have a harder time producing,” mused Bruins coach Jim Montgomery, recounting a conversation he had with general manager Don Sweeney about Pastrnak on the flight home after Tuesday’s 5-2 win in Buffalo, “without Bergy and obviously Krejci to work with.”

In fact, added Montgomery, in exit meetings last spring, prior to the two elite centers announcing their retirements, he told Pastrnak to be ready for what would come this season.

Things, Montgomery informed Pastrnak, would be different without Bergeron and Krejci, along with their combined 1,168 career assists, scores of those attached to Pastrnak’s 301 goals prior to this season.

“We figured they were moving on, you know?” recounted Montgomery. “He just looked at me and said, ‘Yeah, I’m expecting it, don’t worry about it.’”

With a chuckle, Montgomery added, “That’s what he said to me! And now I don’t worry about it.”

Don’t worry, be happy … Pasta’s still got the party going.

Pastrnak, who scored the second goal in the win over the woeful Sabres, was not made available for comment after Wednesday’s workout in Brighton. Polite, amiable, and often humorous, the 27-year-old Czech winger has engaged substantially less frequently with the media as his profile as one of the game’s elite scorers has soared.

That’s too bad. Everyone would like to hear more from the club’s most prolific striker not to wear a No. 7 sweater, including those who cover the team on a daily basis, and especially his adoring fan base in Boston and across the league.

Fans love Pastrnak for his prolific scoring touch, his crafty puckhandling, his sense of humor, and his often avante-garde clothing choices, particularly the broad-rim hats.

Pastrnak’s run this season is all the more impressive because he has split time with two pivots, Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle, who are getting accustomed to his moves, while also growing into roles as full-time puck distributors on the top two lines.

“Pasta’s become more a puck possession guy,” said Montgomery. “I think it’s a little bit intentional, understanding that it’s going to take a while to create the kind of creativity that naturally happens when you play with a Krejci or a Bergeron, because they’re such intelligent hockey players. But he was already playing with [Zacha] and now we have [Brad Marchand] playing with [those two]. It makes us a little top heavy. But at the same time it gives us the creativity of them playing off each other.”

Entering Saturday night’s faceoff at TD Garden against the Canadiens, Pastrnak has 67 games to score 49 goals and place himself among the elite scorers in the game’s history. Another season of 60 looked like too heavy a lift. Suddenly, it could be in No. 88′s wheelhouse.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

David Pastrnak keeps shooting, keeps scoring, keeps on keeping on, even with the Bruins’ top two centers, Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, permanently off to the sidelines and luxuriating in their post-puck doctorates.
The two elite pivots are gone, but No. 88′s goals just keep coming.
Pastrnak, with an 11-13–24 goals line in 15 games on the heels of his career-best 61-goal effort last season, is scoring at a pace that would deliver another 60-goal season. The exact projection is 60.133 over an 82-game season, in case we have any analytics sticklers ready to demand full decimal point accountability.
Now let’s hold it right there for a second. That’s a pace for another 60-goal season, two in a row, something done by a Bruin only by Phil Esposito in the ‘70s and not accomplished in the NHL at large in 30 years.

The last NHL playerer to put up 60 in consecutive seasons was Pavel Bure, the Russian Rocket, who posted 60 with the Canucks in 1992-93 and ‘93-’94. The second of those campaigns led the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Final against the Rangers, a playoff run in which the then 23-year old slammed home 16 more goals in 24 games.

“I thought he’d have a harder time producing,” mused Bruins coach Jim Montgomery, recounting a conversation he had with general manager Don Sweeney about Pastrnak on the flight home after Tuesday’s 5-2 win in Buffalo, “without Bergy and obviously Krejci to work with.”

In fact, added Montgomery, in exit meetings last spring, prior to the two elite centers announcing their retirements, he told Pastrnak to be ready for what would come this season.

Things, Montgomery informed Pastrnak, would be different without Bergeron and Krejci, along with their combined 1,168 career assists, scores of those attached to Pastrnak’s 301 goals prior to this season.

“We figured they were moving on, you know?” recounted Montgomery. “He just looked at me and said, ‘Yeah, I’m expecting it, don’t worry about it.’”

With a chuckle, Montgomery added, “That’s what he said to me! And now I don’t worry about it.”

Don’t worry, be happy … Pasta’s still got the party going.

Pastrnak, who scored the second goal in the win over the woeful Sabres, was not made available for comment after Wednesday’s workout in Brighton. Polite, amiable, and often humorous, the 27-year-old Czech winger has engaged substantially less frequently with the media as his profile as one of the game’s elite scorers has soared.

That’s too bad. Everyone would like to hear more from the club’s most prolific striker not to wear a No. 7 sweater, including those who cover the team on a daily basis, and especially his adoring fan base in Boston and across the league.

Fans love Pastrnak for his prolific scoring touch, his crafty puckhandling, his sense of humor, and his often avante-garde clothing choices, particularly the broad-rim hats.

Pastrnak’s run this season is all the more impressive because he has split time with two pivots, Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle, who are getting accustomed to his moves, while also growing into roles as full-time puck distributors on the top two lines.

“Pasta’s become more a puck possession guy,” said Montgomery. “I think it’s a little bit intentional, understanding that it’s going to take a while to create the kind of creativity that naturally happens when you play with a Krejci or a Bergeron, because they’re such intelligent hockey players. But he was already playing with [Zacha] and now we have [Brad Marchand] playing with [those two]. It makes us a little top heavy. But at the same time it gives us the creativity of them playing off each other.”

Entering Saturday night’s faceoff at TD Garden against the Canadiens, Pastrnak has 67 games to score 49 goals and place himself among the elite scorers in the game’s history. Another season of 60 looked like too heavy a lift. Suddenly, it could be in No. 88′s wheelhouse.
Bruins are so lucky to have Pasta.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I can't help but stat watch when it comes to Pasta and his overall numbers. Two things to me I'm always amazed at:

1. His age. He's really 27? Where did the time go?

2. His career goals relative to his age. He has a shot at 400 goals by the time he's 29, which really sets himself up well for the 2nd half of his career. He's got a legit shot at 600-650 goals if he retires in 10 years and remains relatively healthy.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can't help but stat watch when it comes to Pasta and his overall numbers. Two things to me I'm always amazed at:

1. His age. He's really 27? Where did the time go?

2. His career goals relative to his age. He has a shot at 400 goals by the time he's 29, which really sets himself up well for the 2nd half of his career. He's got a legit shot at 600-650 goals if he retires in 10 years and remains relatively healthy.
I think 600 is doable if he stays healthy. That's about 6 or 7 more years at a 40 goal pace, or 8 or 9 at 35 goals. If he plays until 40 he'd just need 23 goals per year to reach 600.

Imagine where he'd be if he didn't lose games in his prime due to the pandemic shutdown or that thumb injury in 2018-19.

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think 600 is doable if he stays healthy. That's about 6 or 7 more years at a 40 goal pace, or 8 or 9 at 35 goals. If he plays until 40 he'd just need 23 goals per year to reach 600.

Imagine where he'd be if he didn't lose games in his prime due to the pandemic shutdown or that thumb injury in 2018-19.

I was thinking, if he retires 10 seasons from now at 38 years old, averages 30 goals a year, he'll hit the 650 club ( assuming he hits 350 at the end of this season ).

Reactions: McGarnagle

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I wouldn't mind seeing him put the soft breakaway backhand to bed. Otherwise man his hands looked nasty last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad