Player Discussion David Pastrnak XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Just before Christmas Pasta was on Czech night tv show. He is a great showman off the ice as on the ice. Few tidbits:

The trouble with the hip was going on for a year.
Kase was covid positive and because he stayed at Pasta's place both missed the pre bubble camp in the summer.
Discussing his outfits in different cities:" Toronto, I knew I would score a goal." :laugh:
As a teenage boy was a bit of a swindler in the gym. That had changed once he moved to Sweden.
He loves to play for fans. Not bothered by the critics at all.
He values more he achived the best goalscorer alongside Ovechkin the last season rather than be the lone top scorer.
Has a lot of praise and respect for Ovechkin.

In native Czech

this is hilarious watching this czech version of a late show, got a band and everything!

i really wish i could speak czech but thanks for some of the summary

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Love the line of

Ritchie Krejci Pasta

that he’s on

I’d like to see that line for a few when he returns to game action

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Love the line of

Ritchie Krejci Pasta

that he’s on

I’d like to see that line for a few when he returns to game action

That's the line I was saying I wanted to see after the last game. I like Jake with Bergy, he is a straight line player and fits in with them. Krech and Jake have never clicked. Pasta and Krech with Ritchie can balance out the top six. May have to copy right some of my ramblings, Sweeney is channeling me:sarcasm:.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I don't get why people are so eager to break up pasta with bergy and marchy.

If coach feels he can make a great 2nd and 3rd line, he of all people knows.
It's frustrating because, as we saw against the Devils, Cassidy has no issue juggling the lines to the point where the forwards have no time to gel. At the same time, he rarely breaks up the top line aside from Pastrnak getting the occasional shift with Krejci.

When you have such a top-heavy lineup, wouldn't it make sense to spread the offensive wealth? As someone pointed out in another thread, 63-37-88 are still going to get their PP time together, so what's the harm in breaking them up 5 on 5?

I guess I'm fine with reuniting the "Perfection Line" (cringe-inducing name btw) to start, so long as Cassidy breaks them up if the other lines struggle, which is not something he's shown a willingness to do in the past. 2019 Stanley Cup Finals say hello!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's frustrating because, as we saw against the Devils, Cassidy has no issue juggling the lines to the point where the forwards have no time to gel. At the same time, he rarely breaks up the top line aside from Pastrnak getting the occasional shift with Krejci.

When you have such a top-heavy lineup, wouldn't it make sense to spread the offensive wealth? As someone pointed out in another thread, 63-37-88 are still going to get their PP time together, so what's the harm in breaking them up 5 on 5?

I guess I'm fine with reuniting the "Perfection Line" (cringe-inducing name btw) to start, so long as Cassidy breaks them up if the other lines struggle, which is not something he's shown a willingness to do in the past. 2019 Stanley Cup Finals say hello!

Yep in the absence of consistent scoring from any line outside of that 1st line, I would prefer to see the wealth spread around. Krejci can dish the puck and if Pasta gets the puck he scores. Berggy-Marchand can make just about anyone work, We saw it with Heinen, seeing it with a limited sample size in JDB, so why not put Pasta on another line and try to get some more threat out there.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Yep in the absence of consistent scoring from any line outside of that 1st line, I would prefer to see the wealth spread around. Krejci can dish the puck and if Pasta gets the puck he scores. Berggy-Marchand can make just about anyone work, We saw it with Heinen, seeing it with a limited sample size in JDB, so why not put Pasta on another line and try to get some more threat out there.
The bolded is so true. Also, if Pastrnak is 1RW, where does Debrusk slot in? I would assume, given the makeup of the other lines and the recent successes of guys like Ritchie and Frederic, that he replaces Studnicka as 2RW. If that's the case, now you've got two net-front guys in Ritchie and Debrusk on the same line. It's just a strange way to configure the lines. But what do I know, I'm just a fan.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The bolded is so true. Also, if Pastrnak is 1RW, where does Debrusk slot in? I would assume, given the makeup of the other lines and the recent successes of guys like Ritchie and Frederic, that he replaces Studnicka as 2RW. If that's the case, now you've got two net-front guys in Ritchie and Debrusk on the same line. It's just a strange way to configure the lines. But what do I know, I'm just a fan.

Aren't we all? I really like Bruce as a coach and have enjoyed his tenure here so far, but he does make the odd decisions from time to time that I guess are for deeper hockey reasons that I don't get. That's why he makes the big bucks and I do something else for a living that has nothing to do with hockey :laugh:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Debrusk is a square peg in a round hole no matter what. I've never really liked him with Krejci, but you're not breaking up the Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta line nor do I want to touch the Frederic-Coyle-Smith line which looks gangbusters, so by elimination there's nowhere else for Jake to go than with Krejci and Ritchie.

Reactions: wintersej

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don't want to pull Pastrnak off Bergeron's right side, but I think this teams track record with that top line in the post season is suspect at best. The blame isn't entirely on that line obviously, since they're the only trio that opponents have ever had to focus on. If Krejci and/or Coyle find legitimate success with their revolving doors on either side, Pastrnak stays. Otherwise I think they gotta move Pastrnak down to establish another threat.

Personally, I'd rather flesh this out during the regular season than try to figure it out in the playoffs, should they get there.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Ugh to not playing with Krejci

but glad he should
Be back Saturday

Ugh, and why would he? DK is a streaky player that when he's on is tremendous, but when he's cold is invisible. Why would you hinge Pasta's return to trying to adjust to new line mates, especially streaky players? At the very initial stages, it makes far more sense to get him back in where he's comfortable and doesn't have to think about things versus letting him shake off the rust while trying to figure out playing with different guys. Once he's back and looking like the Pasta of old, do whatever you want to mix things up, but I like the idea of easing into it with some comfort at first.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

Agreed on everything including the cringe-inducing name.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I’d love to see both combinations:

Lineup A:

Marchand — Bergeron — Pastrnak
Ritchie — Krejci — Studnicka
DeBrusk — Coyle — Smith
Frederic — Kuraly — Wagner

Lineup B:

Marchand — Bergeron — Smith
Ritchie — Krejci — Pastrnak
DeBrusk — Coyle — Studnicka

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Ugh, and why would he? DK is a streaky player that when he's on is tremendous, but when he's cold is invisible. Why would you hinge Pasta's return to trying to adjust to new line mates, especially streaky players? At the very initial stages, it makes far more sense to get him back in where he's comfortable and doesn't have to think about things versus letting him shake off the rust while trying to figure out playing with different guys. Once he's back and looking like the Pasta of old, do whatever you want to mix things up, but I like the idea of easing into it with some comfort at first.

I agree that it makes sense for Pasta to start back with his familiar linemates on the top line. No problem with that - getting the band back together is surely the quickest way to get Pasta up to speed again.

However I don't see Krejci as a streaky player. I think he goes through small patches where his motivation is maybe 2-3% short of total commitment, but his form and points production are pretty consistent. Consider this - take away Bergeron's clear advantage in PP production and occasional SH points, and in the last 5 seasons Krejci has racked up 199 even strength points compared to Bergy's 192. Krej has played 11 more games in that timeframe, so really they're about even, and Krejci has achieved that mostly with a young DeBrusk and a revolving door of RWs while Bergeron has enjoyed the superior support of Marchand and Pasta.

Point is that Krejci is a damn good offensive center who somehow still remains underrated. With some consistent time with a player of Pasta's calibre I've no doubt he could work magic. Not saying it has to happen, just that Cassidy needs to remain open to it or to whatever else maximises our scoring threat throughout the lines.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Totally agreed.

Reactions: LSCII

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I’d love to see both combinations:

Lineup A:

Marchand — Bergeron — Pastrnak
Ritchie — Krejci — Studnicka
DeBrusk — Coyle — Smith