Player Discussion David Pastrnak XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Yeah, but you can replace the media members, the pit crews, and the fans far more readily than you can a star player on a team. If the Bruins roll into this playoffs without Pasta or any of the other 8 guys that are "unfit to play", they're really starting behind the 8 ball, imo.
We need to all just cross everything crossable that when it comes time to play that's not the situation. :)

Reactions: LSCII

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hope everyone is well.Teams leave for Toronto Sunday but before being allowed into Canada you need 3 negative tests in the 7 days prior & tests are spaced 48 hours apart.Somebody in Boston is not making that like say Kase going on my gut..Is it fair to say Canadian teams have an advantage?One less hurdle for them at very least unless I am wrong in my assessment.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Hope everyone is well.Teams leave for Toronto Sunday but before being allowed into Canada you need 3 negative tests in the 7 days prior & tests are spaced 48 hours apart.Somebody in Boston is not making that like say Kase going on my gut..Is it fair to say Canadian teams have an advantage?One less hurdle for them at very least unless I am wrong in my assessment.

I would imagine Canadian teams also have to have a certain number of negative tests to get IN the bubble, right? I mean, that may not be a Canadian government edict, but rather an NHL edict because they don't want to tourney to be ruined because some dirty Hab brought his COVID inside the bubble.

If someone from, say, Winnipeg tested positive in that batch last week, it still creates a barrier to get them to Edmonton. Maybe not as much of a barrier, since the flight wouldn't be international...but still a barrier.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I would imagine Canadian teams also have to have a certain number of negative tests to get IN the bubble, right? I mean, that may not be a Canadian government edict, but rather an NHL edict because they don't want to tourney to be ruined because some dirty Hab brought his COVID inside the bubble.

If someone from, say, Winnipeg tested positive in that batch last week, it still creates a barrier to get them to Edmonton. Maybe not as much of a barrier, since the flight wouldn't be international...but still a barrier.

I see no reason why it would be different for Canadian teams. Canadian teams have players coming back from Europe and the US just like any other team. Both from a government and NHL edict, I see no reason for it to be different for Canadian teams to enter the bubble.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
So I’ve steered clear of this thread for many days since Pasta was declared “unfit to play” knowing that’s the generic term for a player not being able to play for any reason.

Can one of the “disappointed” people explain to me what the issue is? Sweeney and Cassidy have both said he wasn’t being punished for any decision. I can’t even figure out what people are upset about...

It's been overblown in some quarters but essentially Pasta and Kase putting their arms around strangers in the North End for a photo and skating with youngsters at a local rink when they should have been in post-travel quarantine is risky behaviour that put them at unnecessary risk of infection which in turn risked hurting the team given how important Pasta especially is to their performance.

Small, well-intentioned mistakes probably mostly out of over-kindness, a desire to keep their legs moving while awaiting camp, and a lack of understanding of the state of the pandemic in America. Personally I'm not 'disappointed' in them. It's not bad or callous behavior, just a little misguided. It's a situation that could have been avoided and hopefully there are no further consequences from it.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I get that, but I can also see scenarios where teams are competing for titles and end up losing key members of their roster to Covid, which pretty much invalidates the entire thing, IMO.

How would that be different from losing Gryz to a cheap hit, then see the guy that did that hit be involved in the OT winning goal?

Or allowing a 2-1 goal seconds after ref didn’t call a blatant trip?

Did those invalidate the Blues first Cup ever?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
How would that be different from losing Gryz to a cheap hit, then see the guy that did that hit be involved in the OT winning goal?

Dude, you gotta give a trigger warning before you bring that stuff up. *shudder*

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

They've played enough regular season games to warrant a playoff. Sports may never go back to normal and this is the way the cup is won now. Habs used to win all their cups getting all the best Quebec players so that is probably more unfair

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I see no reason why it would be different for Canadian teams. Canadian teams have players coming back from Europe and the US just like any other team. Both from a government and NHL edict, I see no reason for it to be different for Canadian teams to enter the bubble.

I keep looking and all I have seen is American teams need 3 tests in the week prior to entering Canada spaced 48 hrs apart.Not saying what you 2 suggested is not correct just saying I have not saw nothing that says its the same either.

Reactions: JOKER 192
Mar 11, 2013
QC
I don’t want to make excuses for the Czech guys but their reality is they came from in a country that largely has Covid under control. Probably has their safety calibration a bit off. I half want to blame management for not setting expectations correctly.
I don't get the criticism personally but if that was the case the Czech Republic has it under control because of the strict measures taken very early.

Even stuff like masks were mandatory in mid March (none of the half mandatory stuff, strict fines) until recently, a lot of what the stuff the US is introducing now was mandatory in March, it shouldn't be an excuse, they're more than used to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I keep looking and all I have seen is American teams need 3 tests in the week prior to entering Canada spaced 48 hrs apart.Not saying what you 2 suggested is not correct just saying I have not saw nothing that says its the same either.

Ya, that's fair. I haven't read or heard anything to that effect either.

Actually when you think of it I would imagine American and Euro players returning to Canada have already meet those protocols in Phase 2 or 3.

Though I have to imagine some kind of protocol to enter the bubble will be required just the same.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Uh, not to state the obvious, but losing Gryz would be due to something that happens in a game, and a team losing it's best player or players to a virus because of potential exposure does not? Go look at Neely's comments yesterday. Said the team is struggling just to ice a roster with all the covid stuff. If the Bruins roll into the playoffs missing part or all of their 9 players unfit to practice, do you really think that was a true representation of the Bruins playing? Now do that times 24. It's simply not the same. Especially since they will lose other players during the grind of this playoff tournament. So now you start off shorthanded and then lose additional players? The cup is going to end up having quite a few AHL and ECHL player's names on it this year. lol

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Uh, not to state the obvious, but losing Gryz would be due to something that happens in a game, and a team losing it's best player or players to a virus because of potential exposure does not? Go look at Neely's comments yesterday. Said the team is struggling just to ice a roster with all the covid stuff. If the Bruins roll into the playoffs missing part or all of their 9 players unfit to practice, do you really think that was a true representation of the Bruins playing? Now do that times 24. It's simply not the same. Especially since they will lose other players during the grind of this playoff tournament. So now you start off shorthanded and then lose additional players? The cup is going to end up having quite a few AHL and ECHL player's names on it this year. lol
This COVID situation is like WW2 in the NHL. Competition happened, the Stanley Cup was won, but historians tend to look at this period as tainted as many of the best players were overseas.

If this all goes ahead, this year is a total crap shoot, and this year's winner will have an unofficial asterisk.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This COVID situation is like WW2 in the NHL. Competition happened, the Stanley Cup was won, but historians tend to look at this period as tainted as many of the best players were overseas.

If this all goes ahead, this year is a total crap shoot, and this year's winner will have an unofficial asterisk.

Exactly how I see it as well. May change if things break right, but for now it is what it is.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Dude, you gotta give a trigger warning before you bring that stuff up. *shudder*
I agree. I was having a perfectly normal day. Not too high, not too low. Generally feeling unperturbed which is a reasonably big achievement in this crazy day and age.

And then BAM!!! --- I'm pissed off, irritable and thinking about that f***ing goal after that f***ing no call by that f***ing ref who was part of a refereeing unit last year that f***ing sucked -- and I just have to sit here and think about that, because I can't go anywhere and 2020 kind of f***ing sucks, but then again I'm alive and healthy and my family is healthy, but I'm still kind of pissed about 2020. Is that whining? Well who cares if it is... I have a right to whine...... oh shit, I'm losing my mind here....

Yeah, a little spoiler alert warning would have been nice. That post f***ed me up bad!:laugh:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I feel the exact opposite about the asterisk. There are more teams in the playoffs than any other year. The round robin tournament doesn’t guarantee any top team the number one seed so it will be a blood bath for seeding.

Potentially the most difficult post season in league history to date. Any team who wins should be 100% vindicated.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I feel the exact opposite about the asterisk. There are more teams in the playoffs than any other year. The round robin tournament doesn’t guarantee any top team the number one seed so it will be a blood bath for seeding.

Potentially the most difficult post season in league history to date. Any team who wins should be 100% vindicated.

Only an asterisk for me if a breakout happens inside the bubble that only hurts certain teams.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It's been overblown in some quarters but essentially Pasta and Kase putting their arms around strangers in the North End for a photo and skating with youngsters at a local rink when they should have been in post-travel quarantine is risky behaviour that put them at unnecessary risk of infection which in turn risked hurting the team given how important Pasta especially is to their performance.

Small, well-intentioned mistakes probably mostly out of over-kindness, a desire to keep their legs moving while awaiting camp, and a lack of understanding of the state of the pandemic in America. Personally I'm not 'disappointed' in them. It's not bad or callous behavior, just a little misguided. It's a situation that could have been avoided and hopefully there are no further consequences from it.
This is why I am disappointed. I can roll my eyes at the rule breaking but it is the unnecessary risk they took.

I do put some heat on the league for them not giving the players coming in from Europe a specific return date but due to all the restrictions I understand why they didn't and likely couldn't.

As long as they are on the flight tomorrow, I will be happy. They'll have a few practices to get up to speed and be fine.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This is why I am disappointed. I can roll my eyes at the rule breaking but it is the unnecessary risk they took.

I do put some heat on the league for them not giving the players coming in from Europe a specific return date but due to all the restrictions I understand why they didn't and likely couldn't.

As long as they are on the flight tomorrow, I will be happy. They'll have a few practices to get up to speed and be fine.

That's the bottom line isn't it? As long as Pasta is on the plane tomorrow and able to play I'm not really worried about his ability to preform. That line has shown in the past to be able to pick up where they left off .

As far as Kase goes, he still had to figure it out before the season was locked down and I'm not really expecting much from him anyway.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
That's the bottom line isn't it? As long as Pasta is on the plane tomorrow and able to play I'm not really worried about his ability to preform. That line has shown in the past to be able to pick up where they left off .

As far as Kase goes, he still had to figure it out before the season was locked down and I'm not really expecting much from him anyway.
That is indeed the bottom line. I just hope he's able to perform. Last year he wasn't that great in the playoffs. I want the fearless Pasta we saw all season not the I'm afraid of the corners Pasta from last June.

I don't think Kase will play tbh.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So he confirmed that the reason he had to go back into quarantine was because of the group in Malden. He evades the question multiple times until Dupont (at 6:25) is finally able to point blank ask him about the group in Malden and if that was the reason he had to go into quarantine again:

Literally the whole reason I was upset about the whole thing is him being irresponsible and breaching protocol, but people just jump down my throat as if it's absurd to take issue with that. It does not matter where he came into contact with it, or that he did not get sick. The entire issue is him being irresponsible.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad