Player Discussion David Pastrnak XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
You think...thing again you're not paying attention. He's a great scorer and somewhat passer when he's on his game. It's well documented he's a give away machine. It's the bad that comes with the good. Not someone I would trade unless it's a massive overpayment. But let's call a spade a spade.

He did brake the rules by mingling with outsiders when he was supposed to quarantine himself until ready to join the bubble.

He didn't break any rules actually. As shown by the GM of the team saying so.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Pasta and Kase say **** Off. Worldwide epidemic killing thousands daily and sports fans bitching over if they are snow white on decisions so they can get their entertainment fix.

C'mon....

Reactions: LSCII

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I couldn't give two shits about the what the Press in this town thinks. They are the most negative sky is falling bunch of idiots in the country. It's clearly rubbing off on the fans here too.
You're missing the point by a mile.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But Pastrnak just admitted today that the practice in Malden with those high schoolers was the cause of his quarantine, and he was there with Kase, so it seems to me that it was a decision they both made. The only difference is that Pastrnak got lucky and Kase didn't.

Again, they're grown ass men that made their own individual decisions. Nobody forced Kase to do anything. So he gets to own his mistake. Think of it like this, if you and your buddies went to a party in high school, got drunk, and you snuck into your home, but one of your friends got caught, did you go to his house and tell his parents to blame you instead? No f***ing way. You let your buddy eat that shit sandwich because he did it to himself. And you kick his ass if he rats you out to his parents, as a matter of fact.

Kase is responsible for Kase. Pasta is responsible for himself. Yeah it sucks that Kase isn't cleared, but he's only got himself to blame. Nobody forced him to do anything. It's called being a gown up and owning your own shit.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Pasta and Kase say **** Off. Worldwide epidemic killing thousands daily and sports fans bitching over if they are snow white on decisions so they can get their entertainment fix.

C'mon....
Imo, they should've cancel everything until it's safe to resume... but like everything else...its always about the money... except for the fans, some of them want their fix. As far as Pasta go...he shit the bed ...again. not really his fault though...he wasn't aware of the consequences.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He didn't break any rules actually. As shown by the GM of the team saying so.

No, Pasta and Kase violated the Phase 2 Return to Sport protocols. In Section B it states that “individuals returning to the Club’s home city by public transportation, including commercial air or rail travel, must serve a 14-day self-quarantine period post-travel before engaging in training activities at their Club’s facility.” Pasta and Kase were within this 14-day period when they skated with others in Malden. We know this to be true because quarantine was the reason they couldn’t join the Bruins camp until a couple of days in. Surely self-quarantining does not permit you to go and skate in a suburban rink with a bunch of kids.

So they broke the rules, regardless of whether this was out of ignorance or otherwise, and that’s why they had to quarantine all over again. Sweeney tried to deflect by saying that players in Phase 2 could skate where they liked, but this was a deliberate misdirection, because the issue for the Czech pair was never training rules but their status as players returning to the USA from abroad. In a nutshell, it’s as simple as that. It’s not a big deal, but we can’t pretend it’s nothing either, as the consequences could have been significant. As it is, it’s a minor infraction, and it’s been dealt with.

As to why Pasta is now deemed fit to join the group in Toronto but not Kase, my best guess is that Ondrej got sick. Not Covid necessarily, but something that’s been enough to keep him away for longer until he’s also cleared. Hopefully we see him soon.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Again, they're grown ass men that made their own individual decisions. Nobody forced Kase to do anything. So he gets to own his mistake. Think of it like this, if you and your buddies went to a party in high school, got drunk, and you snuck into your home, but one of your friends got caught, did you go to his house and tell his parents to blame you instead? No f***ing way. You let your buddy eat that shit sandwich because he did it to himself. And you kick his ass if he rats you out to his parents, as a matter of fact.

Kase is responsible for Kase. Pasta is responsible for himself. Yeah it sucks that Kase isn't cleared, but he's only got himself to blame. Nobody forced him to do anything. It's called being a gown up and owning your own shit.

I think we're in an apples-to-oranges situation here. You can't really compare classic high school shenanigans with actions during a pandemic. Also, in your example, just because I got lucky doesn't suddenly mean that I didn't make a poor decision. The ends don't always justify the means. Pastrnak and Kase made the exact same decision, but got different results. That difference doesn't justify Pastrnak's.

I think neither of us is going to convince the other of our position, but if you want to keep going...

tenor.gif

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think we're in an apples-to-oranges situation here. You can't really compare classic high school shenanigans with actions during a pandemic. Also, in your example, just because I got lucky doesn't suddenly mean that I didn't make a poor decision. The ends don't always justify the means. Pastrnak and Kase made the exact same decision, but got different results. That difference doesn't justify Pastrnak's.

I think neither of us is going to convince the other of our position, but if you want to keep going...

tenor.gif

You can blame one guy for another guy's bad decision all day long? Really? Weird thing to focus on, but have at it. :naughty:

If you're trying to say that Pasta is to blame for Kase, I simply see it as Kase being an adult and capable of making his own decisions. As Pasta is fulfilling his responsibilities despite making a bad decision, I again say no harm no foul on his end. You're hung up on Kase, but Kase has nobody to blame but himself for being in this spot and for hurting the team. I have yet to see any report or stories about how Pasta forced Kase to do anything against his will. Up until I see that, I can't blame someone else for him not being there. It's on Kase.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Pastrnak apologizes for quarantine violation that delayed his return - The Boston Globe

David Pastrnak is one of the NHL’s premier goal scorers. On Tuesday, the Bruins winger proved that even a superior marksman can be off-target, confirming that his extended stay in quarantine was a product of his misfiring around the league’s return-to-play protocols.

“I take full responsibility for my actions,” said the Bruins’ 48-goal scorer, making his first public comments since early March. “I am sorry.”

Pastrnak, as reported here July 17, erred when he and Bruins teammate Ondrej Kase skated a number of days earlier in the month with a collection of amateur and minor pro players at a Malden rink.

Yeah, that’s correct, you said it right,” said Pastrnak Tuesday, when asked during a Zoom meeting if it was the Malden workouts that forced him into the added quarantine. “So you said it right. You said it even better.”

The Bruins at the time chose to make no comment about Pastrnak’s involvement in the Malden practices, photos of which were splashed across social media.
“First of all, I was never sick, so I don’t think I did anything wrong,” Pastrnak said. “Obviously, it was a tough bounce there. And unfortunately what happened [is] what happened and I had to miss some times.

Obviously, the protocol is to stay in quarantine and unfortunately I had to be locked down at home for a while. There is nothing I can control.”

But it’s clear now the Bruins ultimately learned that both Pastrnak and Kase had violated the Phase 2 protocol with their Malden practices and therefore had to reenter quarantine. The mistake ultimately prohibited them from participating in the full two weeks of the official camp.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
You can blame one guy for another guy's bad decision all day long? Really? Weird thing to focus on, but have at it. :naughty:

If you're trying to say that Pasta is to blame for Kase, I simply see it as Kase being an adult and capable of making his own decisions. As Pasta is fulfilling his responsibilities despite making a bad decision, I again say no harm no foul on his end. You're hung up on Kase, but Kase has nobody to blame but himself for being in this spot and for hurting the team. I have yet to see any report or stories about how Pasta forced Kase to do anything against his will. Up until I see that, I can't blame someone else for him not being there. It's on Kase.

I'm saying they're both to blame. Pastrnak was just luckier than Kase. That doesn't make one's decision better than the other. Pastrnak isn't fulfilling his responsibilities because he chose to and Kase didn't. He simply got lucky and Kase didn't. Same actions, different results. Neither should get more or less blame than the other. It sounds like you're willing to let Pastrnak's actions slide because he turned out fine, while Kase deserves to be criticized because he didn't. Again, the result shouldn't impact whether the decision was right or wrong here.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm saying they're both to blame. Pastrnak was just luckier than Kase. That doesn't make one's decision better than the other. Pastrnak isn't fulfilling his responsibilities because he chose to and Kase didn't. He simply got lucky and Kase didn't. Same actions, different results. Neither should get more or less blame than the other. It sounds like you're willing to let Pastrnak's actions slide because he turned out fine, while Kase deserves to be criticized because he didn't. Again, the result shouldn't impact whether the decision was right or wrong here.

Yeah, Pasta got lucky. But he's not missing time and he cleared testing. So again, bad decision and an extra few days of isolating aside, what did he really do that hurt the team? I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with hero. :laugh:

Kase on the other hand is still out. And he gets to blame himself because nobody made him make his bad decision. He did that himself. Which is why he gets to live with his mistake. Sucks, but that's just the way it is.

So again, I say you're in the wrong thread. You need to go to the Kase thread and complain about his poor choices and why they've put the team and himself in a bad spot. Because his choice and the ramifications are not the same as Pasta's bad choice.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
So he confirmed that the reason he had to go back into quarantine was because of the group in Malden. He evades the question multiple times until Dupont (at 6:25) is finally able to point blank ask him about the group in Malden and if that was the reason he had to go into quarantine again:

Literally the whole reason I was upset about the whole thing is him being irresponsible and breaching protocol, but people just jump down my throat as if it's absurd to take issue with that. It does not matter where he came into contact with it, or that he did not get sick. The entire issue is him being irresponsible.

You went in total overreaction talking about suspending him and starting and absurd thread about trading him.

That’s why you got those responses.

Overreaction.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, Pasta got lucky. But he's not missing time and he cleared testing. So again, bad decision and an extra few days of isolating aside, what did he really do that hurt the team? I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with hero. :laugh:

Kase on the other hand is still out. And he gets to blame himself because nobody made him make his bad decision. He did that himself. Which is why he gets to live with his mistake. Sucks, but that's just the way it is.

So again, I say you're in the wrong thread. You need to go to the Kase thread and complain about his poor choices and why they've put the team and himself in a bad spot. Because his choice and the ramifications are not the same as Pasta's bad choice.

His choice is literally the exact same choice that Pastrnak made. Just because the results were different doesn't retroactively change the choice. The issue isn't the result. It's the choice that could lead to the result. It's not taking as much precaution as they should have.

I honestly don't know why I'm still arguing this point :laugh: because we can't go back and change anything, and I'm sure the players will be a lot more careful (and safe) in the bubble. I guess I'm just frustrated that people are giving Pastrnak a pass because he turned out fine when he admitted that he made a mistake. I'm not trying to crucify or trade him (and I've even said that I put more of the blame on team management). I just think it's crazy to say he did nothing wrong. Let's just call a spade a spade.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What mistake is that, exactly? Slipping on ice in the middle of a New England winter? How dare he.
That’s so short sighted. When I see a weather report that suggests icy conditions I get out my crampons and wrap myself head to toe in 72 yards of bubble wrap and then hire six minders: two to sprinkle salt on the ice in front of me, two to support each arm, and two to act as roving spotters. One in front and one in back. I’d prefer two on each side as well but the cost becomes prohibitive. It also takes me three hours to get to my mailbox.

But that’s just me. I’m perfect and never in my life have I ever made an irresponsible or responsible mistake or misstep. Pasta just doesn’t have my discipline or obsessive mania over perfection. Human fallibility is avoidable and therefore entirely unacceptable. Shame.

This place sometimes.........:nod::help::nod:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
That’s so short sighted. When I see a weather report that suggests icy conditions I get out my crampons and wrap myself head to toe in 72 yards of bubble wrap and then hire six minders: two to sprinkle salt on the ice in front of me, two to support each arm, and two to act as roving spotters. One in front and one in back. I’d prefer two on each side as well but the cost becomes prohibitive. It also takes me three hours to get to my mailbox.

But that’s just me. I’m perfect and never in my life have I ever made an irresponsible or responsible mistake or misstep. Pasta just doesn’t have my discipline or obsessive mania over perfection. Human fallibility is avoidable and therefore entirely unacceptable. Shame.

This place sometimes.........:nod::help::nod:
LOVE your post :thumbu:

Reactions: Number8

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The human brain isn’t fully developed until 25. Throw in a pandemic that most people on the planet haven’t experienced before and you might get some mixed results.

My question is, why was anyone skating in phase 2 if it wasn’t allowed?

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Imo, they should've cancel everything until it's safe to resume... but like everything else...its always about the money... except for the fans, some of them want their fix. As far as Pasta go...he shit the bed ...again. not really his fault though...he wasn't aware of the consequences.

I agree on the $$$ side. I think we have to understand that these are not indentured servants to a club and have an actual life outside the game. I work for a F 500 org and as much as I like the mgmt, what I do on my time is my business and my CEO and staff can pound sand on that. They don't own me or my time off the clock. These days there are a lot of unhealthy trends to have business tell employees what they can / should think and do. If it is not a contractual obligation agreed in the worker contract, that that is called opression...

As for Pasta and Kase, there are consequences to fulfilling the contractual obligations of a contract and as much as we see it as an entertainment thing, they are living it day to day. Good, bad, ugly decisions, they will own the consequences health wise, financially and career wise. We are ultimately observers / consumers of their entertainment, so I just take it the wrong way when we questions their ethics and moral because we are possibly missing and "entertainment fix" on the screen. It's lazy and egotistical given everything going on right now and more pressing issues than ******* sports in this ****** up society we live in. Btw - the real travesty is university and college programs whining about lost 100's of millions on "revenue" because college sports no longer exist. Since when was college sports supposed to be a core subsidy for quality higher education for the masses??? It is a disgrace that we have become so addicted to the easy $ / entertainment that we forget what it's all about at the core...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
But again, he wasn't negligent in anyone's eyes but yours. When he skated with that group, he was allowed to. You may not like it, but Sweeney said he was allowed as it was phase 2. So I fail to see the issue or understand why you still have your indignation over it. But hey, you do you.

Oh it was certainly unwise to skate with some randos, come on. But it all turned out ok. And it was a sin of loving hockey not him getting caught in a bar or something.

Reactions: Kalus and LSCII

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Hey so in other news I liked that he showed good patience on that goal and waited for the tendy to open up instead of just ripping it on net when it bounced to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad