Player Discussion David Pastrnak X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
For a guy with elite hands to suddenly have shoddy hands, don't you think that would impact his mental game as well?

It could well do, I wouldn't rule it out. He is just not making smart plays out there. I wonder if it isn't something more. He was flying around throwing hits in game 2, took a beating in the other games. I would say he needs a rest. Right now he shouldn't be on the 1st PP unit at all, and probably a game off might help.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I see a kid who is frustrated and lacking some confidence and often when that happens, it shows in all 3 zones. He fanned on 2-3 shot attempts last night, straight up fans. I have to guess it`s still about adjusting to life with the splint or whatever it is on his hand. As long as he`s not costing the B`s goals with his play I`m ok in accepting his game. I haven`t seen him shying away from contact or being hesitant in being the initiator of it himself so that`s good but the kid`s struggling for sure.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It could well do, I wouldn't rule it out. He is just not making smart plays out there. I wonder if it isn't something more. He was flying around throwing hits in game 2, took a beating in the other games. I would say he needs a rest. Right now he shouldn't be on the 1st PP unit at all, and probably a game off might help.

there isn`t a world where Pasta is watching a playoff game unless hurt

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
His timing is way off. I don't think playing opposite of DeBrusk who loves to use his speed and push the pace is doing Pastrnak any favors either. He needs to simplify his game. His hands and feet can't keep up with what he wants to do.

Reactions: zaYG

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Thus my suggestion he needs a rest. Something isn't right with him and it's more than just adjustment to wearing a brace on his thumb. He was fine in the season when he came back after a couple games getting used to it. It could be all in his mind, no doubt. The yips are terrible things- you golf and you know :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thus my suggestion he needs a rest. Something isn't right with him and it's more than just adjustment to wearing a brace on his thumb. He was fine in the season when he came back after a couple games getting used to it. It could be all in his mind, no doubt. The yips are terrible things- you golf and you know :laugh:

I don`t see him having the yips though, the yips would mean he`s struggling to release the puck. I also don`t see him playing hesitant, I see a guy struggling with confidence missing one timers, fanning on one timers, passes not as crisp. He doesn`t need rest, he needs a shot to go in, give him some much needed confidence. Either way, I`m taking him down to the other end of the rink today and working on one timers all day

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I remember Pasta came back looking awful, but then he went back to playing like normal; he did have 15 points in his last 9 games. Not sure if you can use the injury excuse unless it's something else.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
He's a turnover machine in the neutral zone. If he takes the puck to the boards in the O-zone, he just gets smushed by anyone that comes near him. He can't win a board battle at all right now.

Seems more of a mental problem than physical.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I remember Pasta came back looking awful, but then he went back to playing like normal; he did have 15 points in his last 9 games. Not sure if you can use the injury excuse unless it's something else.

I think he picked up a new injury in the Toronto series. To me he looks like someone trying not to get hit in a vulnerable position, possibly protecting an injured part of the body or playing through pain, which is why his gaffes seem to be coming from all over the ice, not just whiffs on his shots due to the splint and/or lost confidence.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think he picked up a new injury in the Toronto series. To me he looks like someone trying not to get hit in a vulnerable position, possibly protecting an injured part of the body or playing through pain, which is why his gaffes seem to be coming from all over the ice, not just whiffs on his shots due to the splint and/or lost confidence.
The one thing he did well in the Toronto series IMO was engage physically. I remember quite a few hits he threw just simply to throw a hit.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Valid point, but to me, it looked like he was getting by on his near-elite hockey IQ with elite linemates in regular season games. He wasn't stick handling anything like he had done before. I don't remember him getting a good one timer off or stick handling through traffic like he used to do on a nightly basis.

Playoff intensity ramped up and he needs his hands to be his effective self.

And, yes, he may also have suffered an injury against Toronto

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I know majority say no way to bench him for one game

but he is "shaky" at best these days. Even on the PP, he has provided very little

giving away pucks. Not shooting the puck. Cassidy was livid that one play where Pasta missed a clean chance to tip the puck from mid ice and instead it became icing

I hated his pre game interview response of "at least the team is winning"

that is a lazy way to play

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

but he is "shaky" at best these days. Even on the PP, he has provided very little

giving away pucks. Not shooting the puck. Cassidy was livid that one play where Pasta missed a clean chance to tip the puck from mid ice and instead it became icing

That response is more sad than it is enraging to me.

It’s pretty clear both from his words, and from his play on ice, that he has no confidence whatsoever in his current game. He goes through waves normally, but it seems obvious to me that injury is severely limiting his abilities right now and he does not feel good about it.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Are you really Steve Kasper?

Reactions: LSCII

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Valid point, but to me, it looked like he was getting by on his near-elite hockey IQ with elite linemates in regular season games. He wasn't stick handling anything like he had done before. I don't remember him getting a good one timer off or stick handling through traffic like he used to do on a nightly basis.

Playoff intensity ramped up and he needs his hands to be his effective self.

And, yes, he may also have suffered an injury against Toronto
Definitely looks injured to me but as I watched last night it became clear that because that is so/if it is so, all the more reason to put him back with 37 and 63. Bruce needs to make that adjustment.

While I’m at it, the PP needs some new tactics. Ones which have 88 neither as a point man nor sitting at top of left circle all the time (where anyone with a pulse is waiting for him).

Oh, and don’t want 90 on first PP

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I see a kid who is frustrated and lacking some confidence and often when that happens, it shows in all 3 zones. He fanned on 2-3 shot attempts last night, straight up fans. I have to guess it`s still about adjusting to life with the splint or whatever it is on his hand. As long as he`s not costing the B`s goals with his play I`m ok in accepting his game. I haven`t seen him shying away from contact or being hesitant in being the initiator of it himself so that`s good but the kid`s struggling for sure.
Yes i see the same. But he needs to adjust. Bring a more safe game, shoot more, and avoid bad turnovers and bad decisïon. But that goes also with confidence. I thought in overtime yesterday he was doing better and he might turn the situation around .. if the case we add atleast one goal per game

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Definitely looks injured to me but as I watched last night it became clear that because that is so/if it is so, all the more reason to put him back with 37 and 63. Bruce needs to make that adjustment.

While I’m at it, the PP needs some new tactics. Ones which have 88 neither as a point man nor sitting at top of left circle all the time (where anyone with a pulse is waiting for him).

Oh, and don’t want 90 on first PP
DK needs to be on the first unit. And the one timer does not need to come across the dawn crease...

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Disagree. One more game like that and he needs to sit. Worst three-four game stretch I have seen him play. Negative value to the lineup at this point.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Or instead of sitting him, or playing him with 63-37, play him with Coyle and MoJo, so he get some TOI against lesser D - plus play with a possession-monster C and slick passing LW. Maybe then he'll pot a few and get his confidence back?

I don't mind this idea, and also putting him on PP 2 and Krejci on 1. If you do that move though you gotta sub in Kuhlman over Wagner. Kuhlman can go with Debrusk and Krejci and Heinen with PB/March. I'm curious if they'll make any lineup changes and/or what they'll do with the lines/PP. Bottom line we need more from our best players or we're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad