Player Discussion David Pastrnak X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I was really hoping "his" goal would get the monkey off his back but he still played awful. Even when he's slumping he's usually still getting chances and looking good here and there. He must be hurt, he's a shell of himself. He just gets run off the puck every time he has possession, is whiffing on every shot, horrendous passes and passing decisions... He has absolutely no confidence.

I do really like the Mojo-Coyle-Pasta line. Hopefully he can get going, we really need him.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Looks like Butch is listening! :naughty:

Today’s practice lines have:
Heinen on 1st
JDB - Krejci - Kuhlman
Mojo - Coyle - Pasta

So during these playoffs, we've moved him off the top line to try to free him up......Now we are moving him off the second line for the exact same reason. At what point do we quit scrambling our line combos simply to get #88s fragile confidence rebuilt?

I'm sorry, but there comes a point in time where #88 needs to put his big boy pants on and start pulling his weight, regardless of the line he's on. And I'm not simply talking about getting on the score sheet more frequently. How about starting by winning a simple board battle? Just one. The next one he wins will be his first in these playoffs. His decision making has been putrid, and I am honestly starting to question his consistency of effort and compete level. Especially after Game 2.

This series against Columbus is trench warfare. They pack 5 in front of the net and block everything within reach. If we are going to beat this team, it is going to require hard work, pain, sacrifice and a willingness to go into areas and take a hit to make a play. For the most part, we've had 11 forwards willing to do that, with one exception....

There, I said it.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
There is something seriously wrong with him. I would honestly sit him for Backes at this point. Or heck, give me Senyshyn.
giphy.gif

aguineapig

I seem to remember him flying Kuraly like into the corner and rocking Muzzin against the Leafs and coming back to the bench kind of chicken winging. But none of us know how injured they may be. To question any players commitment is fair at times, but when Pasta and Bergie are brought up on these charges I'm throwing em out of court. Look at Mitch Marner for crissakes 2 goals in Game one, failure to appear the rest of series with 2 assists finished minus 4. But i don't think he was not trying. Playing against another team with Chara, Carlo, etc who all are out there wanting to shut you down so they can win just might have a little to do with it too.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
...and one more thing. I don't want to hear anymore crap about Pasta's thumb affecting his play.

Take a look at Sean Kuraly and his busted hand and the effort he's brought to the ice since he's returned.....

Those are two very different players you're comparing.

One is ultra skill, the other, not. Yes Kuraly had a fractured hand. But it's completely plausible to suggest that #88's thumb is effecting his ability to make plays, shoot & finish -- all of which could hamper his overall game, and his confidence. His skills are elite, and he's not exactly Patrice Bergeron or Brad Marchand -- who have also been quiet, by the way.

I'm not giving him a pass. I'm saying there may be more to his poor play than we know. It will come out, whatever it is. If the problem is simply poor play, period, then of course David will have own up to that.

CBJ will continue to target him. Moving to the third line might be a decent idea. At least for a few shifts or a period.

Last edited:

member 96824

It’s clear to me Pastrnak is playing through a hand injury, more than likely thumb but definitely something affecting grip.

Even when he had time and space, his passes are wide right ~20% or so. I recall a specific play on the half wall where he was trying to put it in the crease and bounced it off the CBJ d-man in the slot in game 1.

Which then makes sense because he’s frustrated with what he can’t do and lost on options. Mix that with being forced to be soft on your stick and it’s a tough go... I mean I don’t believe for a second that overnight the guy forgot how to connect on a one timer or make a short pass in the NZ.

To me, it appears Bruce is making a risk-reward decision between Backes/Wagner/Kuhlman and Pastrnak. Is the potential that Pasta can grunt the pain and make a couple plays worth more than whatever the other 3 bring? Bruce says yes so far.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
So during these playoffs, we've moved him off the top line to try to free him up......Now we are moving him off the second line for the exact same reason. At what point do we quit scrambling our line combos simply to get #88s fragile confidence rebuilt?

I'm sorry, but there comes a point in time where #88 needs to put his big boy pants on and start pulling his weight, regardless of the line he's on. And I'm not simply talking about getting on the score sheet more frequently. How about starting by winning a simple board battle? Just one. The next one he wins will be his first in these playoffs. His decision making has been putrid, and I am honestly starting to question his consistency of effort and compete level. Especially after Game 2.

This series against Columbus is trench warfare. They pack 5 in front of the net and block everything within reach. If we are going to beat this team, it is going to require hard work, pain, sacrifice and a willingness to go into areas and take a hit to make a play. For the most part, we've had 11 forwards willing to do that, with one exception....

There, I said it.
so you're happy with Bergeron, Krejci and Debrusk in this series so far?

btw, remind me where Pasta scored his goal from the other night

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I don't mind this idea, and also putting him on PP 2 and Krejci on 1. If you do that move though you gotta sub in Kuhlman over Wagner. Kuhlman can go with Debrusk and Krejci and Heinen with PB/March. I'm curious if they'll make any lineup changes and/or what they'll do with the lines/PP. Bottom line we need more from our best players or we're screwed.
You got it right. Boston went as you said.

Reactions: TwineTickler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad