Player Discussion David Pastrnak VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
id probably point to the sedin twins... signed multiple short term deals that allowed the team to build to contender status... once they became older got rewarded with a big deal

rejected Toronto to stay for less... are huge members of the community...

would be hard to find a better example I think... but theres certainly ones out there

Not sure I'd count the Sedin's count there; that 3rd contract isn't really a bridge deal.

I know you dislike the CH% argument, but just to put the deal into context, their 3Y/$3.575M AAV deal was 8.13% -- meaning cap-hit-wise it was more on par with a long-term deal than a bridge deal. For example, using guys from that same draft class, Martin Erat signed a 7Y/$4.5M AAV deal in 2008 which came in at 8.95% (after a 2Y/$1.675M AAV bridge deal, a CH% of only 3.81%), while Zetterberg signed a 4-year bridge deal in 2005 at 4Y/$2.65M AAV, which was at 6.79% (a fairly standard CH% on bridge deals for high-end players, like Kucherov's at 6.53% today). I think the Sedin's deal was more just a short-term deal at a longer-term price.

But even then, I still wouldn't say it actually worked out for the team. Had they taken an 8-year deal (instead of a 3Y and then a 5Y, just to match the numbers up nicely) even at the same CH% they ultimately signed their long-term deal at (10.74%), it would have been an 8Y/$4.725M deal. Over the course of those 8 years, their real deals cost the Canucks $41,225,000, while that projected 8 year deal would have cost them $37,800,000...so ultimately ~$3.5M more than the long-term deal (almost a whole season's pay).

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
logic will prevail though

It's like when you are in school and the teacher says 'Lawrence, you take the side of JP Barry representing Pastrnak'

you want long term deal maybe 6 years so he's out at 27

you want close to $8 M

you want NMC

you want as much bonus money as possible

I take Sweeney;)

you want around Forsberg, Drouin money and term

you want limited NMC

you want low bonus money especially in the year 2020-21 where there may be an issue

CONCLUSION OF FAIRNESS

$7 M AVV if 6 years

higher if longer like 8 years

modified NMC for later years he picks 10-15 teams something like that

bonus money similar to Marchand and try and get at least a couple in 2020-21

the one that riverhawkey91 did seemed fair and well thought out

the Bruins management needs to get over what they paid Marchand, this makes no sense in all seriousness when Krejci makes more:laugh:

How many points would Krejci put up with Mcdavid on his wing. Would it be more than that center who just got paid ? Horton going down and Lucic leaving killed the dominance of that line. Krejci has become a back page story now, but i think he still has something left for another run if he gets help

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
CONCLUSION OF FAIRNESS

$7 M AVV if 6 years

higher if longer like 8 years

I think the Bruins will lose any deal that is not 8 years or a bridge in the realm of 2-3 years.

The market it the market, but it's absolutely absurd these guys are getting UFA money before UFA status. There should be a build up. They are restricted for a reason. Like who are you bidding against? Use that negotiating power. Doesn't surprise me that it's Chairelli who is caving to agent demands and throwing things out of whack.

At least this is being handled better than Hamilton's situation. That was amateur hour. Different circumstances, I know, but the whole offer sheet thing was a load of crap. It is every year. You get to pick and choose your destination and salary at 27. Or with so many years of service. If Sweeney is offering the the range of 6.5-7.5 x 8 years, there's nothing wrong with sticking with it. No need to look for deals or force a trade.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
It's kind of funny that for as much **** as he gets on here, Krejci was one of the few guys of his calibre to take not one but two team friendly deals after a 73 point season with selke votes(under 7% of the cap) and then later, leading the playoffs in scoring en route to winning a stanly cup at 5.25(under 8.2 percent of the cap at the time).

People that are worrying about this need to realize that a deal can wait until the last minute of the offseason. Pastrnak has let his agent handle this while he visits China(on behalf of the Bruins). Pasta wants to be here, the Bruins want Pasta here, there is nothing but time right now and my honest guess would be a longterm deal around 7m coming in the next few weeks.

Just as his agent is responsible to earn Pastrnak as much money as possible, it's also Sweeney's job to get him as cheap as possible. There is plenty of time for either side to come to terms.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think the Bruins will lose any deal that is not 8 years or a bridge in the realm of 2-3 years.

The market it the market, but it's absolutely absurd these guys are getting UFA money before UFA status. There should be a build up. They are restricted for a reason. Like who are you bidding against? Use that negotiating power. Doesn't surprise me that it's Chairelli who is caving to agent demands and throwing things out of whack.

At least this is being handled better than Hamilton's situation. That was amateur hour. Different circumstances, I know, but the whole offer sheet thing was a load of crap. It is every year. You get to pick and choose your destination and salary at 27. Or with so many years of service. If Sweeney is offering the the range of 6.5-7.5 x 8 years, there's nothing wrong with sticking with it. No need to look for deals or force a trade.
I couldn't agree more, Pasta is the RFA, Sweeney is in the position of strength and that's the way it's supposed to be. Make him a reasonable offer and Pasta can take it or explore his options.
I was a big Chiarelli fan when he got to Boston, he took care business, he paid the players and he got things done quickly. It was a part of a huge culture change for the franchise. Now it seems that agents just love doing business with him, ask for the world and settle for slightly less.
Seems like a big shift in thinking going on in league and with the fans, it use to be pay the player for what he's done but now it's pay the youth for potential. It can't be both ways, when the player is an RFA the team has to exercise as much control as possible. IMO some GMs just don't get.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I couldn't agree more, Pasta is the RFA, Sweeney is in the position of strength and that's the way it's supposed to be. Make him a reasonable offer and Pasta can take it or explore his options.
I was a big Chiarelli fan when he got to Boston, he took care business, he paid the players and he got things done quickly. It was a part of a huge culture change for the franchise. Now it seems that agents just love doing business with him, ask for the world and settle for slightly less.
Seems like a big shift in thinking going on in league and with the fans, it use to be pay the player for what he's done but now it's pay the youth for potential. It can't be both ways, when the player is an RFA the team has to exercise as much control as possible. IMO some GMs just don't get.

I disagree with the bolded.

Were this the Kessel situation and you have a team that was coming off a 116 point season, then I think the team would be in a position to play hard ball.

However, I'll go back to a point I've made several times; What is this team without Pastrnak?

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia

Were this the Kessel situation and you have a team that was coming off a 116 point season, then I think the team would be in a position to play hard ball.

However, I'll go back to a point I've made several times; What is this team without Pastrnak?

No doubt the Pasta camp has leverage for that reason and the Bruins are bubble playoff team with him and without him there's not even the bubble. However Pasta's camp would have to wait to see the Bruins flounder for a month or two before he could hope to use that kind of leverage and I'm very doubtful Pasta is willing to go the route. Add to that the relation between team and player would essentially be ruined by then. I still maintain that Sweeney has to reasonable but not a pushover like Pete.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think it's a playoff team. He's that important.

Not only that, the Bruins have NOTHING like him under the age of 25. He is, by far, the most dynamic scoring forward this organization has.

He's their young superstar, it just so happens that unlike most young NHL superstars, he happens to play on a team with superstars from the previous generation as he wasn't drafted by a team at the bottom. That's not his fault, and only amplifies his importance to this franchise. The is literally an 8-year age gap between him and the youngest of the "core-veteran-forwards", that being Marchand.

Given his unique value to this team, I don't see how the Bruins are in any position to draw a hard line in the sand with Pastrnak. Sure you don't want to let the Pasta camp bend them over, but is playing hardball risking losing the player further down the line?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Not only that, the Bruins have NOTHING like him under the age of 25. He is, by far, the most dynamic scoring forward this organization has.

He's their young superstar, it just so happens that unlike most young NHL superstars, he happens to play on a team with superstars from the previous generation as he wasn't drafted by a team at the bottom. That's not his fault, and only amplifies his importance to this franchise. The is literally an 8-year age gap between him and the youngest of the "core-veteran-forwards", that being Marchand.

Given his unique value to this team, I don't see how the Bruins are in any position to draw a hard line in the sand with Pastrnak. Sure you don't want to let the Pasta camp bend them over, but is playing hardball risking losing the player further down the line?

I agree with all of this.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia

I'm struggling with superstar, he has to give me a couple of more seasons in the mid 30's plus range first. I'm not saying he won't but teams can figure him out and life could get a lot more difficult for him. He's all about speed, agility and shot, I want to see the hockey IQ come out when the temperature gets turned up on him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm struggling with superstar, he has to give me a couple of more seasons in the mid 30's plus range first. I'm not saying he won't but teams can figure him out and life could get a lot more difficult for him. He's all about speed, agility and shot, I want to see the hockey IQ come out when the temperature gets turned up on him.

That's fair, everyone evaluates talent differently, but I disagree on the hockey IQ part. His hockey IQ is extremely high, this kid just knows how to play, and has a large bag of tricks in his arsenal. He's far from a one or two trick pony or a guy who simply survived on his athletic gifts alone or because he's always played with better players. I'd argue his hockey mind is his greatest asset.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

He's an emerging star

Crosby is a super star

Marchand is a star

Last year st this time he was 'part' of Trouba trades with improven Carlo. It's there folks go look - his durability and consistency was fairly questioned

Love him but this place has many posters overrating him

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Superstar is a giant leap. He'd need to score 40-50 before I'd even begin to use the "superstar" tag. He needs to be more consistent. For the first 1/3rd of last season he was on a 60 goal pace then had a 17 game drought before finishing the last 49 with a 25 goal pace and 2 goals in 6 playoff games. I think teams began to "figure him out",now it's up to him.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He's an emerging star

Crosby is a super star

Marchand is a star

Last year st this time he was 'part' of Trouba trades with improven Carlo. It's there folks go look - his durability and consistency was fairly questioned

Exactly. This league may have 3 superstars,in my opinion.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He's an emerging star

Crosby is a super star

Marchand is a star

You can certainly question his viability as a player. He's obviously got holes in his game. Not even a question. But where you make the mistake is suggesting that people here are overrating him. We're not. It's the market that is doing that, and most here simply understand that it's just part of the business side of the league. He's going to get paid a lot of money because he had his breakout season at the right time. You can dislike it all you want, point out holes in his game, etc, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not going to sign for the 6x6 deal rumored to have been offered. The market will bear more for a guy in his situation.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You can certainly question his viability as a player. He's obviously got holes in his game. Not even a question. But where you make the mistake is suggesting that people here are overrating him. We're not. It's the market that is doing that, and most here simply understand that it's just part of the business side of the league. He's going to get paid a lot of money because he had his breakout season at the right time. You can dislike it all you want, point out holes in his game, etc, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not going to sign for the 6x6 deal rumored to have been offered. The market will bear more for a guy in his situation.

Your right. He's a super star

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
He will get signed. I've never been worried about Pasta and I'm not now.

I do wonder if a team like New Jersey would step up with a 5 X 7.8 mil offer sheet, with 5 mil signing bonuses each of the last two years. I mean, it would only cost them a 1st, 2nd & 3rd to do that. I know offer sheeting RFA's isn't really a thing anymore, but I wonder if they are tempted. Put a kid like Pasta with Hischier and Hall as part of their rebuild. Especially now with Zajac down for the count.

I don't think an offer sheet is realistic though. I think he'll get signed, but I'll definitely feel better once it's done.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He's an emerging star

Crosby is a super star

Marchand is a star

Crosby = generational talent
Kane = super star
Marchand = star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad