Rumor: David Pagnotta: Leafs exploring market for cost effective top 6 forward.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The whole world thought Tavares was going home. Not like it was a surprise.
His wife had taken a job at a local hospital in Toronto. Everyone knew it was happening. All Pagnotta did there was jump the gun when all the real insiders were looking for confirmation on the signing and now people use it as some example that he has sources.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm sure his season ending injury had nothing to do with not being able to get assets for him!

There is a major difference between getting assets and getting a 1st.

You seem to think he can get a 1st, even though he's missed huge chunks of the last 2 seasons

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If Sens retain on Kubalik I’d take him for cheap. Czech connection with Kampf, and he’s a decent complimentary winger. If it doesn’t work, toss him on waivers / it’s just one year. Wouldn’t mind someone with a one timer like that

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Only way this makes sense is if
A. They feel that Timmins can step in and continue playing at the level he was before injury
B. 1 or both of Bertuzzi and or Domi just aren't clicking with the group.
C. they received a trade offer too good to say no to for Nylander

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
On his latest article on TFP's website David Pagnotta mentions the Toronto Maple Leafs are are early in the process of checking the market for a cost effective top 6 forward.

I'm not sure what that means, does it mean cap hit wise? most top 6 forwards are paid decently that's why they are top 6 forwards so retention is probably required especially so early in the season.

Does it mean asset wise? Top 6 forwards can be had for a discounted price, Taylor Hall from Buffalo to Boston immediately comes to mind, but generally they come with decent asset cost.

There are 2 guy that could fit the bill here.

Kane and Garland and maybe even just Garland.

Kane won't cost assets because he's a free agent but we don't know what he wants in terms of money.

Garland is a guy we know Vancouver wants to move, we know Vancouver is willing to retain and Garland probably won't cost a ton.

Plus Doan for sure, and possibly Treliving would know him from their days in Arizona.

Personally I think a top 6 forward is the wrong area to look at, the Leafs are 4-2, in all 4 of their wins, they scored a minimum of 4 goals, goal scoring isn't an issue.

Their issue they can't get a save from Samsonov, I'm not sure how a top 6 forward helps Samsonov pull his head out of his ass.
McCabb has much of the very worst individual analytics of any defender in the NHL.
so Toronto goes out and targets a top six forward. This team really wants to outscore their defensive deficiencies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Leaf fans are saying it, fix defense before offense. It’s not just “people like you”
Nah it’s a narrative that hasn’t been accurate in several years. You’re projecting your sens shortcomings onto the leafs

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Sounds made up just to stir the pot.

When you have the top 4 forwards the Leafs have, you dont need much more in the top 6.

Heck, they added Bertuzzi and Domi, and Knies is looking good. What more do they want?

They need to find a Forsling type on D. A guy thats overlooked but blooms out of nowhere.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
On his latest article on TFP's website David Pagnotta mentions the Toronto Maple Leafs are are early in the process of checking the market for a cost effective top 6 forward.

I'm not sure what that means, does it mean cap hit wise? most top 6 forwards are paid decently that's why they are top 6 forwards so retention is probably required especially so early in the season.

Does it mean asset wise? Top 6 forwards can be had for a discounted price, Taylor Hall from Buffalo to Boston immediately comes to mind, but generally they come with decent asset cost.

Kane won't cost assets because he's a free agent but we don't know what he wants in terms of money.

Garland is a guy we know Vancouver wants to move, we know Vancouver is willing to retain and Garland probably won't cost a ton.

Plus Doan for sure, and possibly Treliving would know him from their days in Arizona.

Personally I think a top 6 forward is the wrong area to look at, the Leafs are 4-2, in all 4 of their wins, they scored a minimum of 4 goals, goal scoring isn't an issue.

Their issue they can't get a save from Samsonov, I'm not sure how a top 6 forward helps Samsonov pull his head out of his ass.

Maybe they need to sign a replacement for a forward they are moving to fill a hole on the backend or in goal?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not only is he not a good source, it makes no sense either. Brad commented early he wanted to add to the defense and never was able to due to the cap and tight turnaround after his hire.

With what cap we have, and how our team is constructed, who thinks the Leafs need forward help? Absolutely no one. They really don't even need D help to be the team they have been the past few years.

But it would be nice to add a top pairing D like Muzzin was for us in a similar trade with a few prospects and a first for a Dman like that with a couple years of term.

Reactions: The Management

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Maybe Tor is looking at moving one of their top 6 for that defensive help and is looking to see if they can replace who ever they trade away?

0 chance they are doing this in season.

Why is the narrative Toronto is the Oilers? They are winning games, yes they look disorganized defensively but 99% of teams do this time of year and the Leafs have proven they can get good team defense out of similar Dcores the past few seasons.

Hell even NJ last night their defense was putrid for half the game before they outscored their problems and they have what many would consider a "good" dcore.

drede

Jul 13, 2023

Sammy will be fine im sure he will figure his game out. Agree leafs don't need a top 6 forward they need an upgrade on defense

drede

Jul 13, 2023
I don't think either is good enough to stick in the NHL

They need a save from Samsonov.

I'm not going to blame an 831 save%

Everyone and their mom knew Tavares was going to the Leafs. I guess I "broke" that signing too.

Did he "break" the Reaves transaction or jump on after the other insiders?

Like I said, Pagnotta just throws so much stuff at the wall, that once in a while it sticks.

This particular piece also doesn't qualify as any kind of inside information either. Every team would like a "cost-efficient" top-six foward. Duh, of course they would.
Everyone did not know JT was coming to the leafs that was huge signing when it happened and alot of ppl were surprised. And when it happened no big free agents were coming to the leafs usually it was the leafs losing good players to free agency

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
There is a major difference between getting assets and getting a 1st.

You seem to think he can get a 1st, even though he's missed huge chunks of the last 2 seasons
Passable 2nd line center that can play all three forward positions and all situations and makes sub 2 million. I definitely think he'd return a 1st but given the injury history there would probably be conditions on games played, a 2nd if he plays less than 70% of games or something along those lines

The90

Feb 27, 2017
There’s leaf fans in this thread and on your forum saying it. The narrative is on your head,
Is the narrative that they allowed the 6th least goals / shots against last year? Seems pretty stupid to say that’s bad defence.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
That kind of save percentage means a bad goalie is being hung out to dry by terrible team defence, especially from the defenders. You can keep blaming a single person, but there's plenty of blame to go around.
Agree

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Oh, so he's just like Dreger, Friedman and all the other fluff hockey insiders.
Dreger, yeah. He's a chud now.

Friedman clearly actually has "insider" information and breaks a lot of transactions. He also notes when he himself is speculating vs. when he's "hearing" things. Pagnotta doesn't make that distinction and chucks everything out there as "rumours".

Everyone did not know JT was coming to the leafs that was huge signing when it happened and alot of ppl were surprised. And when it happened no big free agents were coming to the leafs usually it was the leafs losing good players to free agency
I guess you were surprised if you hadn't followed hockey at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad