Rumor: David Pagnotta: Leafs exploring market for cost effective top 6 forward.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
On his latest article on TFP's website David Pagnotta mentions the Toronto Maple Leafs are are early in the process of checking the market for a cost effective top 6 forward.

I'm not sure what that means, does it mean cap hit wise? most top 6 forwards are paid decently that's why they are top 6 forwards so retention is probably required especially so early in the season.

Does it mean asset wise? Top 6 forwards can be had for a discounted price, Taylor Hall from Buffalo to Boston immediately comes to mind, but generally they come with decent asset cost.

There are 2 guy that could fit the bill here.

Kane and Garland and maybe even just Garland.

Kane won't cost assets because he's a free agent but we don't know what he wants in terms of money.

Garland is a guy we know Vancouver wants to move, we know Vancouver is willing to retain and Garland probably won't cost a ton.

Plus Doan for sure, and possibly Treliving would know him from their days in Arizona.

Personally I think a top 6 forward is the wrong area to look at, the Leafs are 4-2, in all 4 of their wins, they scored a minimum of 4 goals, goal scoring isn't an issue.

Their issue they can't get a save from Samsonov, I'm not sure how a top 6 forward helps Samsonov pull his head out of his ass.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I really think they need to somehow find a top pairing dman. Preferably a #1 although those don't grow on trees.

It's the most significant move that they can make to help elevate them from simply being regular season warriors.

I don't disagree I'm keeping an eye on Carolina Brett Pesce would be a great addition.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Cost effective forward to me means making $1,000,000 or less.

Turn someone else's trash into treasure. Think a retread like Bunting or Kase--or a veteran like Spezza or Simmonds.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I really think they need to somehow find a top pairing dman. Preferably a #1 although those don't grow on trees.

It's the most significant move that they can make to help elevate them from simply being regular season warriors.
Unless one of the big 3 is on the table The Leafs dont have the assets to get one of those. Also strike Tavares for obvious reasons so it has to be Marner or Nylander.....

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
On his latest article on TFP's website David Pagnotta mentions the Toronto Maple Leafs are are early in the process of checking the market for a cost effective top 6 forward.

I'm not sure what that means, does it mean cap hit wise? most top 6 forwards are paid decently that's why they are top 6 forwards so retention is probably required especially so early in the season.

Does it mean asset wise? Top 6 forwards can be had for a discounted price, Taylor Hall from Buffalo to Boston immediately comes to mind, but generally they come with decent asset cost.

Kane won't cost assets because he's a free agent but we don't know what he wants in terms of money.

Garland is a guy we know Vancouver wants to move, we know Vancouver is willing to retain and Garland probably won't cost a ton.

Plus Doan for sure, and possibly Treliving would know him from their days in Arizona.

Personally I think a top 6 forward is the wrong area to look at, the Leafs are 4-2, in all 4 of their wins, they scored a minimum of 4 goals, goal scoring isn't an issue.

Their issue they can't get a save from Samsonov, I'm not sure how a top 6 forward helps Samsonov pull his head out of his ass.
What kind of forward? A ~one-dimensional scoring one, or a ~one-dimensional defensive one?

Also, why does TOR need another forward? I thought they were looking for defense?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Cost effective! You then mention 3 player who are not even close to cost effective, which means low cap hit/pay.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I think a third team would need to be involved in any Garland deal. The only reasons the Canucks are looking to deal him are to open up cap space, or re allocate resources from the wing to D. The Leafs can't really offer either of those outcomes

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Cost effective! You then mention 3 player who are not even close to cost effective, which means low cap hit/pay.

That's my point cost effective and top 6 forward don't usually go together that's why they are top 6 forwards.

Garland could become a cost effective top 6 forward depending on how much Vancouver ends up retaining.

Habbietat

Jul 1, 2022
Sean Monahan at 50% is 1 mil. for .8ish ppg and 60% fo, can play wing, great for faceoff coverage in defensive zone, penalty killer, cant get much better rate then that, looks healthy and UFA at end of year

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This makes no sense. Any reasonable evaluation of the team would easily conclude that defensemen will be their targets in trades. They have Robertson and McMann on the Marlies already pushing for promotions. Pagnotta is a hack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad