David Legwand

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Cool, this makes more sense. I'd say Bondra's short stint was equally disappointing in that regard, as was Arnason, but to each their own.

Great cases for both.

Bondra was good in the season. Not the playoffs.

Arnason was such a dumb pickup. Way too soft.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Note : this is a very general comment and my opinion about reading the boards these days...

Things are not changing around here... Opinions are so all over the place... How can anyone say anything subjective with any conviction?

At least, facts exist and should tell you when it's time to sit in the corner. But so many people just won't and prefer to think that their opinion is worth more than facts and objectivity. Our opinions are just opinions and making a copy/paste of another poster won't make it a certainty, even if it's a "popular" opinion. How many times in history people have been wrong with "popular opinions"?

I usually hang out for the free laughs, but I'm not finding it very funny these days it seems. lol it's worse than groundhog day, so many posts sounds like brainless robots repeating the same things over and over again (particularly in GDTs), boring. Add a good dose of paranoia and misconceptions and I'm about to virtually throw up lol

You don't even need to read whole threads as you can see very fast where threads are heading and the scapegoating goes on (hi Phillips), even if NHL players and ex players, coachs, analysts, executives would say otherwise. Sucks for you Legwand, you should have started on fire playing a shutdown role with Neil and Smith. You're doomed as a Senator this year. See you next year.

Arnason was worse for us than Cheechoo was, which is pretty impressive. At least Cheechoo gave it his all, Arnason sucked and was lazy.

Bell was beyond awful and only was on the team because we had zero puck movement. Marty Lapointe was beyond useless, he wasn't even good as a pest. Lundin was all sorts of useless. Basically a worse version of Brian Lee.

I get that Phillips isn't what he used to be and people like to jump on his mistakes, but lets drop the hyperbole. Defensive D always look the worst on bad teams, and we've been a bad team for a few years now.

Agreed 99% of the time with you, but 92, 96 (pro-rated) and 88 points were the last 3 years results for this team... How is it "bad"? Sounds pretty much "middle of the pack" to me... Of course reading this board gives the impression that the Sens are the Oilers of the East, but what does that have to do with reality?

Last edited:

Karlsson2Turris*

After watching him play so far, I think I understand how this happened :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm not really getting all the hate Legwand is seeing here. Smart player, I liked the signing when it happened and still do.

I guess all I can say is that in my opinion he will be seen as a very important player for this team as the year moves forward.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
He showed so much promise during the preseason and I though he would be our 2nd line centre for they year and play really good defence. So far he's been garbage defensively and absolutely shouldnt be on the powerplay,but that's not his fault!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He showed so much promise during the preseason and I though he would be our 2nd line centre for they year and play really good defence. So far he's been garbage defensively and absolutely shouldnt be on the powerplay,but that's not his fault!

Name he a player who hasn't looked bad with smith and Neil. Outside of lazar for the Colorado game.

We've had a bad line for the past 3 seasons. It has always featured one or both of those two players.
Even greening away from those two looks revitalized.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Name he a player who hasn't looked bad with smith and Neil. Outside of lazar for the Colorado game.

We've had a bad line for the past 3 seasons. It has always featured one or both of those two players.

Oh I tottaly agree. Neil and Smith, especially this year, have been absolute gongshows that kill any offence for our team and cause a ton of turnovers whenever on the ice. But Legwand himself, ignoring Smith's and Neil's play has also turned over the puck a lot, lost key faceoffs and made some terrible passes when playing with good players like Karlsson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Oh I tottaly agree. Neil and Smith, especially this year, have been absolute gongshows that kill any offence for our team and cause a ton of turnovers whenever on the ice. But Legwand himself, ignoring Smith's and Neil's play has also turned over the puck a lot, lost key faceoffs and made some terrible passes when playing with good players like Karlsson.

He has. But he's not known for that. So I'm of the belief that his team mates are a bigger problem than he himself. And karlsson hasn't been making the smart pinches and making himself available like he has in the past. Everytime hes been put with better players I thought he has looked fine.
I'm all for zib-legwand-chiasson.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Or maybe he's not the same player he was 2 or 3 years ago. He played on the 4th line in DET and now is playing on the 4th line here. Your happiness with Legwand depends on your expectations. If you expected him being our 2nd line center than you are unhappy with his production. If you expected him being our 4th line center than you are ok with what he's brought.

I personally called him a 3rd line center at best at this point in his career in the pre-season. I got called out on that. Looks like I was correct.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Or maybe he's not the same player he was 2 or 3 years ago. He played on the 4th line in DET and now is playing on the 4th line here. Your happiness with Legwand depends on your expectations. If you expected him being our 2nd line center than you are unhappy with his production. If you expected him being our 4th line center than you are ok with what he's brought.

I personally called him a 3rd line center at best at this point in his career in the pre-season. I got called out on that. Looks like I was correct.
We don't have a second line center. We have 3 thirds. One of which is playing with fourth line wingers. And that's legwand.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Yes. Most NHL teams have there 4th line scoring 50 goals a season and get top defensive play and tons of secondary scoring.
Ohhhh wait this isn't an All star team or the Olympics?

Wait we don't have a stacked team with Kelly and Vermette on the fourth line anymore? Wait there is a salary cap now? Really? We ripped up our stacked 03/04 05/06 teams because of a Cap? Chicago lost a zillion quality depth players after their first Cup win because of the Cap? Geez I thought you could just fill your lineup with stars and semi-stars?

Our "4th" line has 30 pt guy Smith, 52 point last year Legwand, and 10 goal a year enforcer Neil. Pretty sick 4th line I think. Of veterans.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Yes. Most NHL teams have there 4th line scoring 50 goals a season and get top defensive play and tons of secondary scoring.

Wait we don't have a stacked team with Kelly and Vermette on the fourth line anymore? Wait there is a salary cap now? Really? We ripped up our stacked 03/04 05/06 teams because of a Cap? Chicago lost a zillion quality depth players after their first Cup win because of the Cap? Geez I thought you could just fill your lineup with stars and semi-stars?

Our "4th" line has 30 pt guy Smith, 52 point last year Legwand, and 10 goal a year enforcer Neil. Pretty sick 4th line I think. Of veterans.

Top 9
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Lazar - Ryan
Michalek/Chiasson - Legwand - Zibanejad (interchangeable)

4th Line
Puempel - Pageau - Chiasson/Michalek

Neil (because he has the A)

Trade Smith & Methot in a package; Condra, Greening

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

This was all such a pathetic over exaggeration of what I was suggesting.
I honestly don't know and don't want to check. But which year did smith get 30 points? Did you mean his entire hockey career? Or in he NHL?

Legwand can be 50 point guy. But not in between smith and Neil. Which is my point.

Edit: meh. I checked. Yeah. He's never had thirty points with the Ottawa senators. He had 70 with the swift current broncos though.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. He has value. As a true fourth line guy. But don't try and tell me legwand is playing with a couple of the best fourth liners. "Sick" as you put it. They're not. They're just not fifty goal scorers bro. Unacceptable from a fourth line.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
This was all such a pathetic over exaggeration of what I was suggesting.
I honestly don't know and don't want to check. But which year did smith get 30 points? Did you mean his entire hockey career? Or in he NHL?

Legwand can be 50 point guy. But not in between smith and Neil. Which is my point.

Edit: meh. I checked. Yeah. He's never had thirty points with the Ottawa senators. He had 70 with the swift current broncos though.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. He has value. As a true fourth line guy. But don't try and tell me legwand is playing with a couple of the best fourth liners. "Sick" as you put it. They're not. They're just not fifty goal scorers bro. Unacceptable from a fourth line.

I take Smith-Legwand-Neil as a "4th" even strength line any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Seriously if Legwand is going to be our 4th line centre that says a lot about Lazar, Zibby and Turris.

We freaking role 4 lines!!! I love that! Each game almost every line gets at least 10-11 minutes. Good teams can do that. No 5 min a night goons. No playing around. 4 legit lines of NHL quality players that can all play on both ends of the ice. Neil and Legwand aren't top scorers, but are hardly barren. The kid line aren't top defenders but aren't bad and were on versus Datsyuk and Toews and Kane and survived and went back and forth against them and had as much pressure.

4 freaking solid lines. Maybe it is more like 2a, 2b, 2c and the 3rd line then a traditional 1,2,3,4 lines.

I take it. I take it. I take inserting a healthy scratch onto ANY line like we did Condra or Greening. I take the fact that we can mix it up if we want to but that Maclean has been pretty consistent with the lines.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I take Smith-Legwand-Neil as a "4th" even strength line any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Seriously if Legwand is going to be our 4th line centre that says a lot about Lazar, Zibby and Turris.

We freaking role 4 lines!!! I love that! Each game almost every line gets at least 10-11 minutes. Good teams can do that. No 5 min a night goons. No playing around. 4 legit lines of NHL quality players that can all play on both ends of the ice. Neil and Legwand aren't top scorers, but are hardly barren. The kid line aren't top defenders but aren't bad and were on versus Datsyuk and Toews and Kane and survived and went back and forth against them and had as much pressure.

4 freaking solid lines. Maybe it is more like 2a, 2b, 2c and the 3rd line then a traditional 1,2,3,4 lines.

I take it. I take it. I take inserting a healthy scratch onto ANY line like we did Condra or Greening. I take the fact that we can mix it up if we want to but that Maclean has been pretty consistent with the lines.
Well if you like how that legwand line goes out there and plays that's fine. I'm not gonna call you an idiot for it. I personally don't really enjoy their play. And would rather condra be in there. Have legwand play with smith and condra. Or greening and condra (condra seems to bring out the best greenjng) would give us a much more effective "2c" line if that's what you think they are. I would prefer not being hemmed in our own zone constantly. I would prefer that. You don't need to.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Well if you like how that legwand line goes out there and plays that's fine. I'm not gonna call you an idiot for it. I personally don't really enjoy their play. And would rather condra be in there. Have legwand play with smith and condra. Or greening and condra (condra seems to bring out the best greenjng) would give us a much more effective "2c" line if that's what you think they are. I would prefer not being hemmed in our own zone constantly. I would prefer that. You don't need to.

If our problem is who of Condra, Greening, Smith and Neil plays wing beside Legwand on what has now become our "4th" line in ES ice time... Then we don't have many problems. 4 legit bottom 6 wingers to play beside a 1000 game vet centre who got over 50 points last season? On our 4th line?
Those are kinda first world problems. Like the gardner called in sick, the pool boy left leaves in the pool or the maid puts raisins in her cookies.
I mean we coulda had problems with Methot out. Phillips stepped up. Boro stepped up. Ceci get all smooth like Rob Thomas and Santana. Cowen got a detention and seemingly got tutored damn well for his return. Gryba is getting better. Jumps up smart, and he is getting consistently more mean. I mean someone hits Neil in the head and Gryba gets an instigator 2 seconds later? You take that penalty 11/10. That is a team builder. That is what you want.

We ain't got no real problems. We are young and inexperienced and we are competing hard.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If our problem is who of Condra, Greening, Smith and Neil plays wing beside Legwand on what has now become our "4th" line in ES ice time... Then we don't have many problems. 4 legit bottom 6 wingers to play beside a 1000 game vet centre who got over 50 points last season? On our 4th line?
Those are kinda first world problems. Like the gardner called in sick, the pool boy left leaves in the pool or the maid puts raisins in her cookies.
I mean we coulda had problems with Methot out. Phillips stepped up. Boro stepped up. Ceci get all smooth like Rob Thomas and Santana. Cowen got a detention and seemingly got tutored damn well for his return. Gryba is getting better. Jumps up smart, and he is getting consistently more mean. I mean someone hits Neil in the head and Gryba gets an instigator 2 seconds later? You take that penalty 11/10. That is a team builder. That is what you want.

We ain't got no real problems. We are young and inexperienced and we are competing hard.

Didn't say that was our only problem. You keep calling legwand a fifty point player. He isn't on this team. Not playing with players that do anything with the puck. Which is what started this whole thing. He is better than playing with those two.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Didn't say that was our only problem. You keep calling legwand a fifty point player. He isn't on this team. Not playing with players that do anything with the puck. Which is what started this whole thing. He is better than playing with those two.

I think he will get about 30 points this year which is fine.
Neil will get 7-10 goals (usually important ones. Smith or Condra or Greening will combine for 10-12 more.

If our depth chart puts Legwand as 4th C. (Like he was in Detroit in the playoff last year). Fine. Injuries, or if Lazar or Zibby struggle... He moves up. He gives us experience. He gives us savvy. He is smart and plays hard.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Terrible game yet again. His play to Karlsson on PP which lead to Byron breakaway was cringe worthy.

His passes in PP in general are cringe worthy. It's a waste of the extra man. Then again, it's not really his fault as much as it's MacLean's. Especially since Zibby not playing all that well.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Honestly, if he was used in a purely shutdown type player to take crucial faceoffs and then get the hell off the ice he'd be perfect. 8-9mins a game tops

1st PP unit is way over his head though

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Terrible game? I thought his line was our most consistent tonight

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
squidward-bashing-a-cash-regis-o.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad