David Legwand

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
With the money he was paid, I think the expectation was that he would be the #2 center was very reasonable.

When was he ever given the opportunity as second line center ( I'm not arguing that he should have been, but he wasn't. )

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I think Legwand is pretty much the player the Sens thought they were getting. I believe he was signed as a veteran presence who might get some kind of return at the trade deadline. His signing helped us get to the cap floor and, by all accounts, he's a good team guy and better than any alternative in Binghamton.

I don't think anyone in management expected Legwand to duplicate his 51 point season of last year. He's only topped that total twice in a 14 year career. He is who they thought he was.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah i think Legwand is pretty much what we wanted too. Some insulation for Zibanejad to develop. A veteran presence with leadership experience for special teams. Help to get the cap floor. And no really long term commitment. All the youngsters need to do to win a spot is outperform Legwand and Phillips. Shouldnt be that a high a bar but it has been so far.

As Murray said:

A veteran group joining what was a very young team at the end of the 2014 season should help ease any concerns about leadership heading into next season.

"We're more competitive," Murray said. "We've got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That's important to me when you're adding young players every year. There's a short term and a long term. The long-term is that your young players get better. Your young players become pros. They're not just good players, they're good NHL players, and I think that this group of people that we've added today can help in that regard."

That was Tim Murray as Buffalo GM this year after signing Moulson, Gionta, and Meszaros.

5 yrs at $5 mil for Moulson, 3 yrs at $4.25 for Gionta, and one year at $4.1 for Mesz. So thats the trick to tanking, sign more ufa's? :)

Sure that might have made us better than Legwand, Michalek, and Phillips. Like Dallas when signing Spez and Hemsky. But we could also be in the same position as today calling Murray names for overpaying these bums and handcuffing the org long term.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He just bought the Sarnia Sting?

Terry Bridge ‏@ObserverTerry 10m10 minutes ago
BREAKING: The Sarnia Sting have been sold to derian hatcher and David legwand

DNCarolyn

Oct 7, 2014
Guelph

Wow, I just.. I mean, good for him I guess? I'm just a little stumped as to how he plans to be a "hands-on" owner when he's also an active hockey player with another year left on his contract.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

I hope he plans to be there full time. Its a positive step after a good NHL career.

He can spend a few minutes and tell Zacha all of the good restaurants here in the area and maybe sublet his place (if we draft him of course!)

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
1 goal 0 assists this month. Plays a boring game with 0 creativity. Seems uninterested. For a 4th line he isn't bad but the whole point was to push for 2nd center minutes and he has done anything but that. Do we move him for a draft pick or a prospect?

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
1 goal 0 assists this month. Plays a boring game with 0 creativity. Seems uninterested. For a 4th line he isn't bad but the whole point was to push for 2nd center minutes and he has done anything but that. Do we move him for a draft pick or a prospect?

Guy can't skate/keep up with the play. Has no value. Actually, at $3.5m for next year, he has negative value. Would be shocked (overjoyed) if Murray could deal him now or in the summer.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
He'd probably play the same way...look at de la rose in Montreal, people slobbering all over him. No difference between he and a guy like Legwand. If Legwand was 21 Youd all be praising him nonstop.

Even if he does play the same way I'd still give him a shot. He's faster, bigger, makes just under 2 million less than Legwand and is 10 years younger.

And yes of course we would, expectations are not even close to as high for 21 year old's, unless they happen to be a blue chip prospect.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Even if he does play the same way I'd still give him a shot. He's faster, bigger, makes just under 2 million less than Legwand and is 10 years younger.

And yes of course we would, expectations are not even close to as high for 21 year old's, unless they happen to be a blue chip prospect.

IMO, it's way too risky to bring too many rookies at the same time... Heck the team already suffered from it in the last few years...

This year, you have Ceci, Lazar, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman and Borowiecki who are graduating, with guys like Puempel, Prince, Hammond and probably Wideman getting some experience

At some point, you need a little bit of patience lol, Rome wasn't built in a day

And that's why a young rebuilding team like the Sens signs veterans like Legwand, Michalek and even Phillips to short term deals. BUY SOME FREAKING TIME.

Karlsson2Turris*

The poll in this thread was ridiculous when it was created, and every day that goes by just makes it look even worse.

Just... jeez. JEEZ.

This x1000

Would've been a slap in the face to Alfie to let this scrub wear #11.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unless Legwand is traded he will be a part of this roster until at least next yr's trade deadline & that is only if someone actually wants to trade for him. I would be very surprised if management waived him next yr & he has contributed more than 20 pts playing mostly 4th line minutes. Same for Chiasson & both these guys have outscored fan favourites Pageau, Condra & Lazar this yr. Those three are playing some exciting hockey but Chiasson & Legwand are contributing on the scoreboard where apparently it counts the most.

I don't think that Legwand, Phillips or Neil will be moved until around the next yr's trade deadline & maybe not all three will be traded, Phillips might just stay & retire a Sen at the end of the yr. Smith is another guy signed for next season who has missed most of this yr, it will be interesting to see what happens with him on this team. We saw no trades at all this yr, I wonder how many we will see next yr.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Unless Legwand is traded he will be a part of this roster until at least next yr's trade deadline & that is only if someone actually wants to trade for him. I would be very surprised if management waived him next yr & he has contributed more than 20 pts playing mostly 4th line minutes. Same for Chiasson & both these guys have outscored fan favourites Pageau, Condra & Lazar this yr. Those three are playing some exciting hockey but Chiasson & Legwand are contributing on the scoreboard where apparently it counts the most.

Pageau, Condra and Lazar all get less than 10 seconds of PP time per game, whereas Legwand gets north of 2 minutes. At even strength all three of those guys produce at a better rate, even if you factor in icetime.

Also, Legwand has been getting third line, borderline second line minutes this year (14:10/game).

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
I am bumping a seriously thread to say one thing.

The value of David Legwand is lost on many of us.

Anybody watch the post game celly video after Philly? Guys love him. He almost looks like he's a de-facto leader.

It is my honest opinion that his off-ice contributions have been enormous.

Discuss.

Karlsson2Turris*

The problem isn't Legwand, it's that we have too many fourth liners/healthy scratches on bad contracts because they provided "leadership and toughness"

Now Murray wants to shed salary, but nobody is gonna take those contracts.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I am bumping a seriously thread to say one thing.

The value of David Legwand is lost on many of us.

Anybody watch the post game celly video after Philly? Guys love him. He almost looks like he's a de-facto leader.

It is my honest opinion that his off-ice contributions have been enormous.

Discuss.

With Phillips out of the picture Legwand is the new Sens dad.

The Jangle Meister*

I do the Legwand signing 0 times out of 1 million.

Just another ****** contract we need to shed in the off season

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The problem isn't Legwand, it's that we have too many fourth liners/healthy scratches on bad contracts because they provided "leadership and toughness"

Now Murray wants to shed salary, but nobody is gonna take those contracts.

Phillips Legwand Niel and Gryba all have 1 year left on their contract after this season

definitely moveable in the summer or at worst the deadline

BigBush*

Some people cant see that a reason the team is having success is because they have a good bottom 6.

Do Legwand and Chiasson suck? Not really. They aren't great players, but they make a good 4th line.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Some people cant see that a reason the team is having success is because they have a good bottom 6.

Do Legwand and Chiasson suck? Not really. They aren't great players, but they make a good 4th line.

I like Legwand because I think he's a good veteran presence on this team and he can still play in the league. We could get rid of Chiasson tomorrow and nobody would notice or care

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad