Player Discussion David Krejci VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Good to see him get 3 assists along with DeBrusk and Smith get a goal. Folks who assume Coyle, a career 3rd liner for a reason, can take Krejci minutes will feel the pain. Krejci has been inconsistent in his career, but somehow always seems to put up a decent stat line. It's annoying having to use the excuse that he has no help, but I truly think if we got him some talent such as Lucic/Horton/Iginla then noone would be complaining. Pro hockey is a team sport, not everyone can drive a line on their own or be consistent through 82 games. If they can they are 1st liners. Sure he might be overpaid by a 1 mil or 2, but that isn't an issue right now. Maybe Krejci will want to stick around for a home town discount, if not they should probably let him walk.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
For the DK fans taking a victory lap after his 3 point night against Buffalo, it seems a little premature, IMO. The game last night was great, but he needs to string a bunch of games like last night together before I start thumping my chest over it. Maybe not 3 points every time, but more so the level of involvement and engagement within the game. I mean, if you as his fans can't be honest enough to say what he looked like last night was just different than he's looked for most of the season, I don't know what to tell you. He does that, I'd be fine bringing him back next year. He doesn't and then goes 4-5 games without being noticeable, then Sweeney needs to focus on finding a replacement for him in the offseason.
I don’t know his ppg first 10 of the season was a pretty good stretch too.

I forget who it was that made the point about him having to be the guy who carries it in, makes the play and takes the shot on his line when he’s playing with guys who drag the play it like DeBrusk and Ritchie (neither of who are great carrying the puck into the zone, making plays and finishing this year, though Ritchie can screen the goalie and knock in some rebounds) and yet somehow he’s still a team leader in assists.

Hell, he had a career year production wise centering DeBrusk and Heinen... what 700pt career players do that?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Krejci probably going to be near his career average with .7 ppg this year, and probably similar in the playoffs. But because of a contract he signed like six years ago and because he doesn't "look like he's trying", people will still expect more out of him.

When he and Rask leave, and the Bruins are hoping Studnicka, Beecher, Vladar can fill these spots, it's going to be rough times. Obviously I'm impressed with Vladar based on his one game, just pointing out how truly lucky we are as fans.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Krejci probably going to be near his career average with .7 ppg this year, and probably similar in the playoffs. But because of a contract he signed like six years ago and because he doesn't "look like he's trying", people will still expect more out of him.

When he and Rask leave, and the Bruins are hoping Studnicka, Beecher, Vladar can fill these spots, it's going to be rough times. Obviously I'm impressed with Vladar based on his one game, just pointing out how truly lucky we are as fans.
I hope they can resign Krejci in offseason for a short term deal but let’s not kid ourselves here, Krejci goes through 6-8 game streaks where he watches the Bergeron line carry the team and does not contribute on the scoreboard at all.

I agree that Coyle is not a 2nd line center and there is no Bruin currently in the system who is ready to take over 2nd line center. Krejci 2 years/ 10m.

Reactions: smack66

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don’t know his ppg first 10 of the season was a pretty good stretch too.

I forget who it was that made the point about him having to be the guy who carries it in, makes the play and takes the shot on his line when he’s playing with guys who drag the play it like DeBrusk and Ritchie (neither of who are great carrying the puck into the zone, making plays and finishing this year, though Ritchie can screen the goalie and knock in some rebounds) and yet somehow he’s still a team leader in assists.

Hell, he had a career year production wise centering DeBrusk and Heinen... what 700pt career players do that?

Yeah, I don't know man. I just see this year in it's entirety as a bit of a disappointment for him so far. A lot can obviously change and if he plays like he did last night, it will improve greatly. I just see the guy from last night and look at the majority of the rest of his games and see a stark difference, you know?

Like I've said probably a million times now, this team is dependent on DK being successful and contributing regularly. If he can do that, they're a legit contender. He plays like he's played for a lot of this season, they're not. And I don't say this to reignite the constant debate about his line mates and how he's got nobody to play with. I have zero interest in that debate again. Just looking at the way he played individually last night and the impact it had on the outcome of the game as compared to the majority of the season, whatever reasons people want to attribute it to aside.

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Eh, I don't know. Is it really a surprise that Jake DeBrusk and Craig Smith scored last night when David Krejci played his best game of the year, by far? I also don't think it's a coincidence that those same two guys looked invisible most nights before, while playing with DK, while he was clearly not at his best.

The point being, if you're on a line, you all have to be rowing in the same direction. You can't have your most important player on that line struggling and expect the other two forwards to still produce. As DK goes, so does that line. He strings a few games like last night together, and the questions around not having enough secondary scoring will stop. Just watch.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Eh, I don't know. Is it really a surprise that Jake DeBrusk and Craig Smith scored last night when David Krejci played his best game of the year, by far? I also don't think it's a coincidence that those same two guys looked invisible most nights before, while playing with DK, while he was clearly not at his best.

The point being, if you're on a line, you all have to be rowing in the same direction. You can't have your most important player on that line struggling and expect the other two forwards to still produce. As DK goes, so does that line. He strings a few games like last night together, and the questions around not having enough secondary scoring will stop. Just watch.

At the same time, it was never Krejci's fault that Jake would not skate or go to the dirty areas, or that Smith put every shot ten feet over the bar or wide of the net. Those two have been struggling in their own right and we can't put that all on DK. That said, this is prone to happen with this team and that line in particular, and I hope a few decent games doesn't lull management into thinking secondary scoring is no longer a problem.

Reactions: kjpm and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At the same time, it was never Krejci's fault that Jake would not skate or go to the dirty areas, or that Smith put every shot ten feet over the bar or wide of the net. Those two have been struggling in their own right and we can't put that all on DK. That said, this is prone to happen with this team and that line in particular, and I hope a few decent games doesn't lull management into thinking secondary scoring is no longer a problem.

No doubt. And like I said, everyone on the line has to be on the same page. They get on the same page, they're fine. If they're not, it's a hot mess. Like we've seen for most of the year so far.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
No doubt. And like I said, everyone on the line has to be on the same page. They get on the same page, they're fine. If they're not, it's a hot mess. Like we've seen for most of the year so far.
Everyone should just be equally accountable for their own good, bad, or mediocre play.

If everyone is doing their job doubt we have endless threads running in circles for the most part.

Either way, build off any chemistry they have and move forward. If they make any moves everyone just continue playing their role.

Reactions: Dr Hook and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Everyone should just be equally accountable for their own good, bad, or mediocre play.

If everyone is doing their job doubt we have endless threads running in circles for the most part.

Either way, build off any chemistry they have and move forward. If they make any moves everyone just continue playing their role.

It really sucks that the next couple of games are postponed. I would have loved to see them continue this success as soon as possible instead of delaying it. But it is what it is.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yeah, a lot of cup winners have 3Cs as their 2Cs. Good luck.
The pickings are slim on the 2021 UFA market for centers. Somebody is going to over pay for Krejci.

I just don't want it to be us.

I got nothing against him as a player. He's been great for us. That said, unless he's willing to take a serious hometown discount (and I don't see why he would) its time to move on.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

he’s too inconsistent!!

No matter what those specific stats say, he still is. I don't think anyone with a straight face can say the Krejci we all saw yesterday has been the same Krejci we've seen 5 on 5 the whole season this far. Take production out of it, it was how he and his line moved their feet, moved the puck well, and generated chances that made Krejci look like the Krejci we all know. The production, which should be expected from the 2nd line, is a bonus.

I'm not going to speak for others, but if that line played like that, which we know they can, all season, that in itself would go a long way to wear down the other team's defense and pull the giant weight off the 1st line's shoulders.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I hope they can resign Krejci in offseason for a short term deal but let’s not kid ourselves here, Krejci goes through 6-8 game streaks where he watches the Bergeron line carry the team and does not contribute on the scoreboard at all.

I agree that Coyle is not a 2nd line center and there is no Bruin currently in the system who is ready to take over 2nd line center. Krejci 2 years/ 10m.

I agree with all of this. For some reason I am ok with his loafing stretches, maybe because he almost always rises to the occasion when Bergy is out or in the playoffs. I'd be fine with 2 years, $5M AAV.

The only circumstance where you can have Coyle as your #2 is during a rebuilding/retooling phase. Its a tough contract, but is what it is at this point.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Krecji debrusk and smith get out of their slumps and get covid :sarcasm:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

he’s too inconsistent!!

He's been a great, great player for us for a sustained period of time. Nobody is questioning that. But we aren't paying a player for past performance. We are paying a player for future expected performance.

If you think he's going to maintain that pace on the back side of 35, then go for it.

I'm perfectly fine extending him for a 2 year deal at reasonable money. I just don't see him signing for that when he can get a much better offer elsewhere.

I'd rather keep my powder dry for 2022 when the UFA market for centers is much more robust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad