Player Discussion David Krejci VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I like a two year extension at about 5.5m per. Get the most out of what he has left, just in time for Studnicka to be really ready to go and possibly Beecher too.

I'm actually wondering whether the Bs might only offer him a 1 year extension, or possibly even nothing at all. Not because he doesn't deserve a new contract, but because I don't think the Bruins are going to want to be in a position for much longer where their top 2 centers are not just mid-30s but pushing well into the twilight zone of most players' careers. I'd say as a GM you'd be wanting to move on from Bergy and Krej one at a time, not together. The hope ideally has to be that Studnicka can fill the 2C role post-Krejci, but that's still far from certain and we're unlikely to get an answer on whether that's probable before next season. Any possibility of Coyle at least temporarily taking on that role seems to be declining. If they want to keep banking on Stud then I can envision Krej getting a short-term deal while they see if Jack can make the grade, or at least not saddling him with a contract that is immovable if necessary.

The alternative is Sweeney doesn't wait on Studnicka and he takes Krej's $7 mil and goes out and finds the best possible center he can this summer, hopefully someone who also has the potential to step up to the 1C role in time, which still keeps a possible place for Stud should he indeed prove a top 6 player.

Either way, I think Krejci's shelf life with Boston is one more year tops, and if he gets that I wouldn't be surprised if in mid-2022 he just hangs up the skates and walks away a one-team guy. It would be fitting for someone who's never really looked like ever being anything but a Bruin.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's difficult to not be a fan of Krejci but it simply is odd that any winger he plays with now becomes largely ineffective - Debrusk, Smith, Ritchie are the most recent. Unfortunately the Bruins have absolutely nothing behind Bergeron to be that second line center - certainly not Coyle with his play.

If Krejci is to miss additional games, is Studnicka even ready? I doubt it.

I think there's merit in raising that concern, but to be fair to Krej he only fairly recently assisted a young, raw DeBrusk to bank multiple 40-point seasons, which is pretty decent, Ritchie is never going to be an even-strength points machine, and his time with Smith has been very brief and I don't think was originally what Sweeney had in mind. Otherwise his RW has been a revolving door of average to outright awful. If he actually did get longer with Pasta on his wing or someone else who was genuinely of top 6 calibre and that line still couldn't produce, then I'd say for sure there was a problem with Krej himself, but it's hard to say from the available evidence. A case could definitely be made that Krej may simply be in decline, but I'm not yet convinced.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's difficult to not be a fan of Krejci but it simply is odd that any winger he plays with now becomes largely ineffective - Debrusk, Smith, Ritchie are the most recent. Unfortunately the Bruins have absolutely nothing behind Bergeron to be that second line center - certainly not Coyle with his play.

I find the dynamic of constantly trying to find a wing or wings to get him going to be maddeningly frustrating. As the highest paid player on the roster, he should be getting them going and not be dependent upon them to make him better. It's one of the reasons why he frustrates me at times. The other main reason being his apparent lack of interest in some games during the regular season. He's got the talent to be a dominant player when he wants. I just wish he wanted to be that guy more frequently. Now that he's hurt though, I'm sure people will use that to excuse away some of his inconsistency.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I find the dynamic of constantly trying to find a wing or wings to get him going to be maddeningly frustrating. As the highest paid player on the roster, he should be getting them going and not be dependent upon them to make him better. It's one of the reasons why he frustrates me at times. The other main reason being his apparent lack of interest in some games during the regular season. He's got the talent to be a dominant player when he wants. I just wish he wanted to be that guy more frequently. Now that he's hurt though, I'm sure people will use that to excuse away some of his inconsistency.

There's calling it like you see it, and then there's calling it like YOU see it!! :naughty:

(Not that I am disagreeing with anything you said)

Reactions: LSCII and Alicat

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

I hope they can find him two doctors to get him back on the ice

Reactions: LSCII

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I just watched first and I’m going with 5 minutes left he got hurt to the left side of Halak

hard awkward fall and Devils player landed on him

ironically first goal Palmeiri scored early in second they flip Coyle out there for Krejci after he opened period Witt Smith & Frederic.

why wasn’t this addressed during intermission????

Coyle and Ritchie both go in deep in Carlo wrap around which screws up coverage and Ritchie can’t get back on Palmeiri

cluster fixk

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I hope they can find him two doctors to get him back on the ice

That's the irony, right? He's a good player and he means so much to the team despite the constant struggles to get him line mates he can be effective with. So when he goes down, it's a big hole to fill.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

How does he produce so much without any goals by making his line mates ineffective? He’s got the most even strength pts outside of the top line too.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How does he produce so much without any goals by making his line mates ineffective? He’s got the most even strength pts outside of the top line too.

Do you think he's been particularly effective this season so far? Not what the stats say or 5 on 5 points, etc. Just your opinion on what you've seen from his play to this point.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Krejci played well the first handful of games, I did notice. Since then, not so much and it might not be saying much that he is the leading 5v5 scorer after the top line sadly. Without seeing the data I have to think there are a lot of 0s and 1s this season.

I have always been of the mind that he and Debrusk never clicked because those two were always playing shorthanded with no right winger... but I am not so sure as I see Debrusk 100x more effective on the two other lines he has played on. Ritchie has become downright ineffective recently. Smith, granted a tiny sample size, likewise.

Krejci is still absolutely a great 2nd line center but with what he is paid, he needs to find a way to elevate whatever linemates he has since they actually are decently competent wingers this season. Regardless of play styles.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Krejci played well the first handful of games, I did notice. Since then, not so much and it might not be saying much that he is the leading 5v5 scorer after the top line sadly. Without seeing the data I have to think there are a lot of 0s and 1s this season.

I have always been of the mind that he and Debrusk never clicked because those two were always playing shorthanded with no right winger... but I am not so sure as I see Debrusk 100x more effective on the two other lines he has played on. Ritchie has become downright ineffective recently. Smith, granted a tiny sample size, likewise.

Krejci is still absolutely a great 2nd line center but with what he is paid, he needs to find a way to elevate whatever linemates he has since they actually are decently competent wingers this season. Regardless of play styles.

i dont see krejci elevating jags in the playoffs, bruins will just get run over by a team with depth scoring. Hes mid 30s, its not happening

Reactions: kdog82

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Do you think he's been particularly effective this season so far? Not what the stats say or 5 on 5 points, etc. Just your opinion on what you've seen from his play to this point.
I’ve always underestimated him so, no. But I’ve also learned that I’m often wrong. You tell me, how does he produce so much without goals and without elevating his line mates? It’s an honest question because I don’t see it in the games but it’s plain as day in the #

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’ve always underestimated him so, no. But I’ve also learned that I’m often wrong. You tell me, how does he produce so much without goals and without elevating his line mates? It’s an honest question because I don’t see it in the games but it’s plain as day in the #

Tertiary assists? :laugh:

See, I notice him when he's motivated and playing hard. He's hard to miss when that's happening, actually. It's why I get critical of him at times because his periods of less than 100% effort make me crazy. I think the challenge for him is that the team is set up to play a specific way, and his game basically clashes with the rest of the roster. So they're always in this endless cycle of trying to find a guy that suits his style, which is crazy. If anything, I believe that having him and JDB together for so long is part of the problem for his disinterest at times. Maybe if and when Kase is back, he can create some chemistry with a fellow countryman.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I cannot see Sweeney re-signing Krejci. He's been a tremendous Bruin but time to let him walk and move on.

They will bring him back unless they have or acquire someone capable of replacing his overall game and production.

Reactions: HustleB

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Tertiary assists? :laugh:

See, I notice him when he's motivated and playing hard. He's hard to miss when that's happening, actually. It's why I get critical of him at times because his periods of less than 100% effort make me crazy. I think the challenge for him is that the team is set up to play a specific way, and his game basically clashes with the rest of the roster. So they're always in this endless cycle of trying to find a guy that suits his style, which is crazy. If anything, I believe that having him and JDB together for so long is part of the problem for his disinterest at times. Maybe if and when Kase is back, he can create some chemistry with a fellow countryman.
Think that where we differ - I’ve given up on thinking I can see a players motivation. Guys are either effective or they’re not. There’s little doubt that Krejci’s been effective. He’s been on what, a 50-60pt pace? That’s where he was 10 years ago

If we’re going to judge a guy by how much effort it looks like they’re giving them Kuhlman would be an all star

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Think that where we differ - I’ve given up on thinking I can see a players motivation. Guys are either effective or they’re not. There’s little doubt that Krejci’s been effective. He’s been on what, a 50-60pt pace? That’s where he was 10 years ago

If we’re going to judge a guy by how much effort it looks like they’re giving them Kuhlman would be an all star

He'd be on his way to the HOF :laugh::laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

So you don't see a difference in playoff Krejci versus regular season Krejci? Or you don't notice some nights he dominates and some he's invisible? I think you (collective you, not specific to just you) can and do see effort or lack of effort if you're being honest about the player. I get the consistent production of 60ish points too, but I feel he's always had the talent to be better but never has for whatever reason.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Technically he's behind Coyle, McAvoy, and Smith in terms of 5v5 production. He has just 3 points 5v5 points on the season. Tied with Lauzon, Carlo, Bjork, Ritchie, and Kuraly. He also has a 3v3 assist and and empty net assist, bringing his ES point total to 5. Prior to getting injured yesterday, he was leading all forwards in total ES TOI.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

I think we've watched Krejci long enough to understand he shows his "effort" in a different way from most players. Some might never notice it at all but there is absolutely a difference in the tempo of the very deliberate Krejci when he is engaged vs not, and it has nothing to do with speed of skating, hitting, etc. unlike so many of his peers. His execution is simply better when he is playing his best and he forces his play style difference to be irrelevant. A player like Krejci always has a place on an NHL playoff team roster. He is a fantastic player.

As I wrote earlier, he started this season engaged, very much so, playing like he was ten years younger. Whether the points were there or not (I believe he was around a point per game during that stretch as well however). Recently it dropped off, fairly dramatically I believe. Perhaps this injury was a lingering one and that is the cause...

Reactions: Tbaybruin and LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia