David Desharnais part XI - We don't hate him but ... Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
I really like Desharnais as a winger on a 2nd / 3rd line. He is also center depth insurance if ever one of our guys goes down

my 2 cents

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
In before post 1000 with my two cents:

DD's time with the Habs is coming to an end... certain he will no longer be in the lineup at the start of next year. No room for DD at center as a top six and too small to play as a bottom six center or play as winger on any line. With the emergence of Andrighetto and Hudon this year and one of De la Rose, Marschak or Big Mac possibly making the team from training camp next year.. this should be the end for DD as a hab.

Enough with the DD and Eller comparision! They are not battling for same roster spot, as Therrien made clear when he put Eller as center when he returned from injury. Eller is a prototypical 3rd line center on a cup contending team and lacks the vision to be a top six center.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

DD's time with the Habs is coming to an end... certain he will no longer be in the lineup at the start of next year. No room for DD at center as a top six and too small to play as a bottom six center or play as winger on any line. With the emergence of Andrighetto and Hudon this year and one of De la Rose, Marschak or Big Mac possibly making the team from training camp next year.. this should be the end for DD as a hab.

Enough with the DD and Eller comparision! They are not battling for same roster spot, as Therrien made clear when he put Eller as center when he returned from injury. Eller is a prototypical 3rd line center on a cup contending team and lacks the vision to be a top six center.

You're in for a rude awakening. lol

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

"We should remove our versatile, hard working player because one of our players may or may not make the team and may or may not contribute more."

While you're right they can possibly make the team, I think they are in for AHL time still.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
50th to go!

Question :
After each DD points, how do you feel?
1. Thank God, we still have some goal when he’s on ice. Cause he so bad at everything…
2. He has stolen another point from XXX
3. Oh non… if he still got point, he may take the place of XXX
4. To much ice time stolen from xxx
5. It was soft minutes… too easy
6. The goaler was sssooo soft…
7. French media pay to keep him on ice

Or simply

8. GOOOAAAALLL!

At first, it's number 8.....and THEN i analyze the play and give credits where credits is due. And No, those who gets the points aren't always the one who should get it and credit should be also going for plays that don't results in a goal.

For example: Desharnais' last goal against Pittsburgh. Thank you Fleury. That doesn't make DD a great shooter with a nice shot. That play happens 25 times a game. That point meant nothing i my evaluation of DD.

BUT, i will value a lot more that nice play he made for Parenteau (who sadly missed a picture perfect play). Proving that he still can do what he does best on the wing.

I'm happy about every goal, but i won't blind myself about how the play went down either.

I am ! Strong skilled player make place for skilled player. Strong players are … strong. With no skill, they can bench press a lot, but may not be the best player out there!
Moen & Bourque were not helping anyone out there… & they are strong, but not « better » compared to what we have now. (Bournival, Sekac , ...)

You know what, skilled player, that aren’t very strong still make place to skilled player. Savard, Koivu, etc. ...

And strong player still got some skills to put it in...Remember Weise with Pacioretty/DD?

Every player is different ratio of Strong and Skill.....and MANY are both strong and skills. Don't need to be 6'4" to be strong either, don't need to smash head or even be physical.

And as for Sekac...he's one who got both...just like Eller who is stronger but less skilled...just need more of them considering our team is already filled with not so strong player and more is coming.

And the most important thing about all this: Strong player seems to be showing up in the PO. Strong players are needed in a cup run. Kings got a ******** of strong players

Not sure why you mention Bournival as he doesn't seem like a small dude to me. We could keep DD and Gally as small guys cause one has a good vision, the other is the engine of our whole team. The others though I'm not that interested in keeping them.

Bournival isn't undersize as players like Gally, DD or Andrighetto are....but he isn't big either and not even average. There's a lot of Lucic outhere.

PricePkPatch*

People have been saying the bolded for the past 3 years.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
"We should remove our versatile, hard working player because one of our players may or may not make the team and may or may not contribute more."

While you're right they can possibly make the team, I think they are in for AHL time still.
Isn't Desharnais like our 3rd or 4th best winger?

Plus, he bring a valuable asset in being able to play center in case of injury or illness?

We only have 5 Top-9 wingers, and would be actually prefer to pay $.5M more for Parenteau?

Seems ridiculous.

If we can upgrade on Desharnais - no issue. If we're moving him just to move him that's ridiculous.

Galchenyuk and Desharnais provide this team with most versatility at this point.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
People have been saying the bolded for the past 3 years.

There's a difference this time.....he might be on board with that himself this time.
He's acting like a true gentleman here, but he's not happy about the situation at all.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
There's a difference this time.....he might be on board with that himself this time.
He's acting like a true gentleman here, but he's not happy about the situation at all.

I think you're speculating here and I'm not sure where you got that he's unhappy.

At this point I think you guys are making up story lines.

DD knows he had moderate success in his career. He knows no one will trade for him to be a first line center. He's pretty much hoping to be a top 6 guy no? He is that now so I can't imagine him losing it.

PricePkPatch*

Oh well. Since you have insider information about Desharnais, its obvious you arent taking stuff out of your ass. You would have looked pretty ridiculous if you did.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
People who want DD out of MTL even now that he is on the wing are crazy.

He is a valuable 2nd or 3rd line winger but not as a C. Trading him away for spare parts would IMO be a step back for this team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Isn't Desharnais like our 3rd or 4th best winger?

Plus, he bring a valuable asset in being able to play center in case of injury or illness?

We only have 5 Top-9 wingers, and would be actually prefer to pay $.5M more for Parenteau?

Seems ridiculous.

If we can upgrade on Desharnais - no issue. If we're moving him just to move him that's ridiculous.

Galchenyuk and Desharnais provide this team with most versatility at this point.

I was merely entertaining his idea that even IF McCarron, scherbak, etc... end up better than DD they are not necessarily ready, let alone better as soon as next year.

I agree with you on all counts.

The biggest mystery to me is anointing our prospects as sure fire NHLers. DD has had a relatively modest career up to now and who knows how much longer he'll play in the NHL but generally speaking that's a successful career considering many NHLers come and go. Guys like Greg Stewart come and impress and never stay. Guys like the kostitsyns come and go, etc...Yet somehow, every single one of our prospects will be here for the next 10 years locked in a position without flaw. It's strange that people think this way. Let them prove they are capable and then we'll have a good problem on our hands. You don't trade quality players just because X player MIGHT make it.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think you're speculating here and I'm not sure where you got that he's unhappy.

At this point I think you guys are making up story lines.

DD knows he had moderate success in his career. He knows no one will trade for him to be a first line center. He's pretty much hoping to be a top 6 guy no? He is that now so I can't imagine him losing it.

Oh well. Since you have insider information about Desharnais, its obvious you arent taking stuff out of your ass. You would have looked pretty ridiculous if you did.

Sorry, i didn't know we only talks about cold hard facts between ourselves....might just close all the trade threads...

I said he MIGHT, of course this comes from my ass.
I doesn't mean that this is false either.
Would you be happy to jump right across the board from 1st line center to a winger?

There would be plenty of good reasons for Desharnais to really dislike what's happening right now. No place for him where he wants to be.

And if Eller or Plekanec would be put on the wing, i would say exactly the same thing.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Sorry, i didn't know we only talks about cold hard facts between ourselves....might just close all the trade threads...

I said he MIGHT, of course this comes from my ass.
I doesn't mean that this is false either.
Would you be happy to jump right across the board from 1st line center to a winger?

There would be plenty of good reasons for Desharnais to really dislike what's happening right now. No place for him where he wants to be.

And if Eller or Plekanec would be put on the wing, i would say exactly the same thing.

Maybe, just maybe DD gets it. He plays a little less a game, team is winning, etc...

There's a MAJOR difference between being demoted and us losing and being demoted and us winning with you still being a contributor.

This isn't pee-wee, they spoke to DD for sure.

Besides, the guy is confident in his ability and he's still getting paid.

Eller played 3rd line role for years and while I feel he's a 3rd line center he might want more. Who doesn't want more minutes? Lapierre wanted more, Sekac probably wants more. Pacioretty already has the most for forwards and probably wants more. Subban probably wants 30 minutes a game too.

This isn't a big deal. They didn't throw him into the doghouse, bench him or humiliate him. They made a line change regarding him and max for the first time in years.

In your mind you think DD must be upset but remember when he was bad to start last season? The players and the coaches were by his side and he eventually came out of his slump. THIS my friend is why the nonsensical reactionary posts make no sense and never will. The public humiliation of players, the mistreatment of your core players, etc... After the support he received and the opportunity he got there's more reason to believe he's a loyal hab than anything else at this point.

Furthermore, any player would love a bigger role but DD knows he hasn't produced like a star and more of a filler. The guy lives here. You think he thought Plekanec would become a winger or that Galchenyuk would be traded? He knew at one point he'd be 3rd line C or a winger. That simple.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Maybe, just maybe DD gets it. He plays a little less a game, team is winning, etc...

There's a MAJOR difference between being demoted and us losing and being demoted and us winning with you still being a contributor.

This isn't pee-wee, they spoke to DD for sure.

Besides, the guy is confident in his ability and he's still getting paid.

Eller played 3rd line role for years and while I feel he's a 3rd line center he might want more. Who doesn't want more minutes? Lapierre wanted more, Sekac probably wants more. Pacioretty already has the most for forwards and probably wants more. Subban probably wants 30 minutes a game too.

This isn't a big deal. They didn't throw him into the doghouse, bench him or humiliate him. They made a line change regarding him and max for the first time in years.

In your mind you think DD must be upset but remember when he was bad to start last season? The players and the coaches were by his side and he eventually came out of his slump. THIS my friend is why the nonsensical reactionary posts make no sense and never will. The public humiliation of players, the mistreatment of your core players, etc... After the support he received and the opportunity he got there's more reason to believe he's a loyal hab than anything else at this point.

Furthermore, any player would love a bigger role but DD knows he hasn't produced like a star and more of a filler. The guy lives here. You think he thought Plekanec would become a winger or that Galchenyuk would be traded? He knew at one point he'd be 3rd line C or a winger. That simple.

Not so sure he saw Eller taking a center spot ahead of him though..

You forget a little thing in your Disney drama......Millions and Millions of dollars involved and a career. It's not about being "upset", it's about being smart.

Smart thing to do for Desharnais is to play for a team where he'll be able to play his position, using his skills that made him an NHLer and then get another contract.

If he knew (speculating also here) at one point he'd be a 3rd line C or a winger.....then he must know it's gonna be really hard to keep his job as a winger while fighting against bigger guys than him playing that position for years.

I'm not saying he wants to be traded, never said that.....but he MIGHT welcome a chance of scenary with a team who got more room for him.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
At first, it's number 8.....and THEN i analyze the play and give credits where credits is due. And No, those who gets the points aren't always the one who should get it and credit should be also going for plays that don't results in a goal.

For example: Desharnais' last goal against Pittsburgh. Thank you Fleury. That doesn't make DD a great shooter with a nice shot. That play happens 25 times a game. That point meant nothing i my evaluation of DD.

BUT, i will value a lot more that nice play he made for Parenteau (who sadly missed a picture perfect play). Proving that he still can do what he does best on the wing.

I'm happy about every goal, but i won't blind myself about how the play went down either.

Jesus Christ dude get a grip, maybe take a break from hockey or something. I've never, ever seen a fan simply discredit his player for scoring, that's atrocious and shameful. :shakehead

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not so sure he saw Eller taking a center spot ahead of him though..

You forget a little thing in your Disney drama......Millions and Millions of dollars involved and a career. It's not about being "upset", it's about being smart.

Smart thing to do for Desharnais is to play for a team where he'll be able to play his position, using his skills that made him an NHLer and then get another contract.

If he knew (speculating also here) at one point he'd be a 3rd line C or a winger.....then he must know it's gonna be really hard to keep his job as a winger while fighting against bigger guys than him playing that position for years.

I'm not saying he wants to be traded, never said that.....but he MIGHT welcome a chance of scenary with a team who got more room for him.

He MIGHT or he MIGHT prefer to live in his home province near his family with term still left on his contract playing for a contender.

He MIGHT like long walks on the beach too, I'll ask Dregger about it.

Maybe he spoke to his agent and regardless, he'll take top 6 forward. He won't get 'superstar' center tag anywhere else. He'll get top 6/9 duties and that's what he's getting now.

Would he rather play C? Sure, but he's still getting an offensive role, he's still with his best buddy, he's still in his home province, etc...

He still has term on his contract too, I highly doubt he's worrying about his place so soon. His primary goal is likely to stay in the top 6.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Typical Therrien. After two vs TB, his boy Desharnais leads all Habs F in ES and PP TOI :(

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Jesus Christ dude get a grip, maybe take a break from hockey or something. I've never, ever seen a fan simply discredit his player for scoring, that's atrocious and shameful. :shakehead

But you didn't see i give him a tons of credit for a play that didn't result as a goal.
I don't discredit a player for scoring....i just don't take every points as proof of skills.

He MIGHT or he MIGHT prefer to live in his home province near his family with term still left on his contract playing for a contender.

He MIGHT like long walks on the beach too, I'll ask Dregger about it.

Maybe he spoke to his agent and regardless, he'll take top 6 forward. He won't get 'superstar' center tag anywhere else. He'll get top 6/9 duties and that's what he's getting now.

Would he rather play C? Sure, but he's still getting an offensive role, he's still with his best buddy, he's still in his home province, etc...

He still has term on his contract too, I highly doubt he's worrying about his place so soon. His primary goal is likely to stay in the top 6.

Okay, i get it...it's impossible that DD doesn't like being pushed around the line-up to a position he never really played in his life.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Typical Therrien. After two vs TB, his boy Desharnais leads all Habs F in ES and PP TOI :(

I'm not a Desharnais fan, but he was one of our best forwards last night so I don't have a problem with how much he played.

He's looked a lot better with Parenteau out/off his line.. I'd like to see him with Eller/Sekac as he seems to be more productive when he has bigger players who can protect the puck with him.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'm not a Desharnais fan, but he was one of our best forwards last night so I don't have a problem with how much he played.

He's looked a lot better with Parenteau out/off his line.. I'd like to see him with Eller/Sekac as he seems to be more productive when he has bigger players who can protect the puck with him.

I like that line, but then who does Plekanec play with?

I think Bournival Pleks Andrighetto could be successful, but I'd have to try it to stick with in long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad