David Desharnais part XI - We don't hate him but ... Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Will DD get traded before the end of this thread?

Yes [ ]
No [ ]
During another thread [ ]

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
See how good he play when not exposed to the best shut down line. The problem with DD is not that he don't belong in the NHL, but that he don't belong on the first two lines. He's a serviceable third line centre with decent offensive upside. The team spent way too much time trying to turn him in a first line centre.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
See how good he play when not exposed to the best shut down line. The problem with DD is not that he don't belong in the NHL, but that he don't belong on the first two lines. He's a serviceable third line centre with decent offensive upside. The team spent way too much time trying to turn him in a first line centre.

And the problem with that is that the coach is so much in love that any signs of greatness will be interpreted as a sign of being able to do it on any lines against any other opponents. Which is not the case. Therrien preaches for depth, well so be it, keep DD there so that every line but the 4th can score.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
And the problem with that is that the coach is so much in love that any signs of greatness will be interpreted as a sign of being able to do it on any lines against any other opponents. Which is not the case. Therrien preaches for depth, well so be it, keep DD there so that every line but the 4th can score.
Yes that my biggest fear. With any luck at some point Bergevin will tell him to cut the crap, or clear his desk. Who knows maybe that conversation already taken place.

habitue*

We gonna have all ours answers when Eller is back and IF Andrighetto keep performing as well. Serious decisions gonna have to be taken. Andrighetto can be sent down without problems, even if he is playing well. Eller or DD could have to play on a wing.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
I predict that these 'DD series' threads (10 000 + posts... and counting) will lose steam if MT keeps him on the 3rd line.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
We gonna have all ours answers when Eller is back and IF Andrighetto keep performing as well. Serious decisions gonna have to be taken. Andrighetto can be sent down without problems, even if he is playing well. Eller or DD could have to play on a wing.

This is a nice luxury to have.

The kind of depth that will allow Bergevin to make a move at the deadline like last year.

Nice to see DD play well the last two games.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Therrien needs to try DD on Eller's wing and hope it works out.

DD can be serviceable on a third line, but he's not a 3rd C u want in tight checking playoff games... Maybe on the wing?

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Has anyone been listening to some of his media scrums in the past 2 days? Yeeeeeeeeesh

The guy is seems pissed. Even l'Antichambre brought up his comments and how misplaced they were. Last night he constantly brought up Crosby, as if thats an equal comparable. He said that he has many roles that he can play for "a" team. A reporter also told him that the "whole Quebec" panicked when he was placed on the third line....wtf was that about. Idk, I've never been too much of a fan of Davey on the ice but he always seemed like a solid dude. His attitude lately has put me off.

habitue*

Has anyone been listening to some of his media scrums in the past 2 days? Yeeeeeeeeesh

The guy is seems pissed. Even l'Antichambre brought up his comments and how misplaced they were. Last night he constantly brought up Crosby, as if thats an equal comparable. He said that he has many roles that he can play for "a" team. A reporter also told him that the "whole Quebec" panicked when he was placed on the third line....wtf was that about. Idk, I've never been too much of a fan of Davey on the ice but he always seemed like a solid dude. His attitude lately has put me off.

DD is the the most charismatic nor the one most at ease in front of medias. He is not as polished as a PK for example. Being dropped from the first to a third line is a big slap in the face for him. And he certainly don't wish Mayor Coderre will come back with his twitter message to send him to Hamilton.

As for the whole Quebec panicking... No way.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

When the reporter told him "Quebec panicked" DD seemed pissed at the question. IMO he's just saying "guys it's no big deal. Even the best slump and I knew it wasn't my last NHL goal. It's a tough league and I have a new role now."

I don't think that's bad at all. People are asking questions to get a nice quote and he's even putting it aside saying life goes on and let's keep playing.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I predict that these 'DD series' threads (10 000 + posts... and counting) will lose steam if MT keeps him on the 3rd line.

Well last night he got 2 points, an ES goal, and half as much PP time as Chucky so there's nothing for people to complain about :laugh:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Put him on the wing next to a strong 2-way C like Eller against mid level competition and I don't see how it will prevent him from being an effective player, as long as he hustles.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Put him on the wing next to a strong 2-way C like Eller against mid level competition and I don't see how it will prevent him from being an effective player, as long as he hustles.
Agreed I think putting DD on the wing with a pair of physical two way guys could really improve his numbers.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Agreed I think putting DD on the wing with a pair of physical two way guys could really improve his numbers.
He's actually been scoring decently over the past handful of games though. His biggest problem is his lack of shooting. He was always hesitant, but it seems like when he slumps he's even more hesitant to shoot and becomes even more reliant on Pacioretty.

He's always been a "pick-my-spot" shooter, which is okay if it leads you to 15+ goals a season, if you're linemates are scoring 50 goals or so.

The problem was, he started to slump, and he became a "I'm not even going to shoot when I've picked a good spot" player and that hurts the entire team, the line, and himself.

A split from Pacioretty is actually more beneficial for Desharnais because he's no longer looking for one player. You can see it that he's making passes he wouldn't be making a week ago. Desharnais playing the exact same as he was except shooting the odd time and looking both ways for a pass is very acceptable for a third liner.

Pacioretty is the one the one that the split will hurt most. And it's not because Desharnais is some great and mighty player, it's because he stopped moving his feet because he knew the puck was coming to him no matter what. Aside from the first game with Galchenyuk, we haven't seen Pacioretty move his feet much SINCE we acquired Vanek (yuck). He's going to have to work with Galchenyuk to make that line work because Galchenyuk is creative, but he's also a workhorse.

PS. What were the lines to finish last game? I don't even know. They were messed up again, lol.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Yup. The traffic in the last thread slowed down when announced he was on the the third line. His usage is what has frustrated people the most. I like him in the role he is now, especially that he is now moving his feet and hustling out there.

All MT has left to do is to move him to Eller's wing. Contrary to popular belief, I think DD can do well as a winger. It's not like he really commands or exploits the centre of the ice. Despite his size, he's pretty good at cycling the puck and making plays from the half-wall. What's more, Eller's offensive talent is starting to weigh more towards goal scoring than play making, DD will be able to find him on the ice.

Getting him off the 1st line and away from Pacioretty is the best thing that could have happened to him and the fan base.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, sure, it could work out for him and Eller on the third line.

Anyways, most good teams try to spread scoring on three lines. With some two way play in the mix, obviously.

If Chuckie manages to stick on the first line and perform accordingly, we'll be a though team to play against. We'll have a lot of talent in our top 9 and very good depth/role players on the 4th (Manny, Weise, Prust, Bournival).

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

That would be a blessing from the Gods...DD series is probably the largest series of all HFBoards...which is staggering...
(10K posts only if you count this year no? As he already had 10K posts last year...)

habitue*

My lines with Eller back and IF Andrighetto sent down to Hamilton

Patches-Plekky-Sekac (Plekky is the best centre for Patches and Sekac is awesome)

Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher ( a real EGG line with some PP minutes). I am sure Eller can play LW on that line, and cover Galchy defensive shortcomings. + take some faceoffs in the d zone

Bournival OR Prust-DD-PAP

Prust OR Bournival-MM-Weise

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
DD's lack of shooting can be fixed. As long as he's off the first unit, I'm fine. Convert him into a winger when Eller comes back and it's perfect. He played on the wing during his first stint with the club back then and was good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad