David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No one denies Salo is injury prone, yes? Some food for thought. Since 2007, Booth's first full season. He has played less games than Salo in that same time frame; 329 to 336 respectively. If we include the two seasons prior for Salo, defaulting to a percentile basis for analysis. Booth has played 61% while Salo, 66%

I find it difficult to call one injury prone and not the other. Granted, my definition of "injury prone" is based on frequency of being injured, not the severity; an "is it more likely than not" scenario? Applying that definition to Booth and he is undoubtedly injury prone.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
here's a cool story of a guy. his name is justin williams. he missed a lot of games over a couple years before la acquired him for practically free! and then he broke his god damn leg. unphased, the kings re-signed him for four years.

then he went on to win a stanley cup. he has missed 9 games with a single dislocated shoulder since his broken leg and is currently on a two season ironman streak

but nah, david booth with his pile of unrelated impact injuries is clearly injury prone. here's our favourite poet on this topic: "Jesus H f'ing Christ how the hell is a guy who is this prone to getting injured not injury prone, he's always hurt, every year. "

well said.

(in three years williams played 130 games out of a possible 246. i feel, without a calculator [gut instinct!!!], that this is a lower percentage than 61%)

tl;dr the kings got an excellent plus possession player for ****ing free because he was injured sometimes. quick, get rid of booth!! it worked out real well for carolina (who at least had the sense to abuse the oilers to cover their mistake)

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
here's a cool story of a guy. his name is justin williams. he missed a lot of games over a couple years before la acquired him for practically free! and then he broke his god damn leg. unphased, the kings re-signed him for four years.

then he went on to win a stanley cup. he has missed 9 games with a single dislocated shoulder since his broken leg and is currently on a two season ironman streak

but nah, david booth with his pile of unrelated impact injuries is clearly injury prone. here's our favourite poet on this topic: "Jesus H f'ing Christ how the hell is a guy who is this prone to getting injured not injury prone, he's always hurt, every year. "

well said.

(in three years williams played 130 games out of a possible 246. i feel, without a calculator [gut instinct!!!], that this is a lower percentage than 61%)

tl;dr the kings got an excellent plus possession player for ****ing free because he was injured sometimes. quick, get rid of booth!! it worked out real well for carolina (who at least had the sense to abuse the oilers to cover their mistake)

Justin Williams has more hockey sense in his left pinky than David Booth does in his whole body.

Booth's question marks aren't simply injuries (although it's a major concern), he also is very limited from a hockey sense and skill standpoint. Not the skater he once was and injuries can make you gun shy. I don't think it's compareable. Justin Williams is a good hockey player that needed to get healthy, sometimes I don't know if David Booth even likes hockey.

Having said that, there is no point in trading him, you won't get anything in return. And since the Canucks won't be buying anyone out, the only option really is to give him another chance, see if we can get some use/value out of him. Personally, I'm not too optimistic. Even when he's playing well, I'm not a fan.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
So Booth even managed to screw up being able to get a buyout...

He cost the team a shot at a player that could actually help the team - an Iginla or Clarkson.

I've seen some people write that there will be another buy out window at the end of the summer. Is that false?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

He cost the team a shot at a player that could actually help the team - an Iginla or Clarkson.

I've seen some people write that there will be another buy out window at the end of the summer. Is that false?

What's the point when all the UFA's are gone?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
ryan kesler is injury-prone...he plays a style of hockey that he cannot adjust that inevitably leads to the same kind of injuries at important points of every season

david booth's injury history reveals more of a streak of bad luck similar to how kevin bieksa was afflicted with bad-luck injuries year-after-year

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

There is a buyout window next summer. We'll see how he recovers from his injury this season, and if he continues to slump then he'll be a buyout candidate. I'm expecting a bounce-back year from him though.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

I think Booth is definitely tradeable. Especially once we see the contracts (dollars and length) that guys like Horton, Clarkson, Clowe, etc. sign for this off-season, 2 years at 4.25 for a likely 20/20 player is not bad.

I hope Gillis tries to get a legitimate #1 winger for the Sedins, trade booth for pick(s) and pick up a strong shutdown C for 4th line duty. That would be a successful off-season, imo.

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
IMO id like to see Booth get moved. Even if he's moved for peanuts like Horcoff, rather have the cap relief and open roster spot. Ill give Gillis credit for going out and making the trade for Booth in the first place, but the facts are that as of now it hasn't worked out. If we've learned anything over the last year its that if you dont nip things in the bud were gonna wind up with egg on our face, and quite frankly im sick of our franchise being the current laughing stock on these boards. I actually dont mind Booth as a player , hes big, can skate,lots of potential, he just hasnt put it all together. There's also to many intangibles that i rather not deal with (eg. his off ice hobbies, injury issues). I know it may seem trivial but i just rather not deal with the uproar of him cutting his pinking while gutting some animal he just shot:sarcasm: Gillis said he wanted to get younger so lets end the Booth experiment and see which one of our kids can step up and play. Anyone who thinks we have a great shot of winning the cup next year is only fooling themselves, i see next year as a transitional one so what do we have to lose ;)

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
There is a buyout window next summer. We'll see how he recovers from his injury this season, and if he continues to slump then he'll be a buyout candidate. I'm expecting a bounce-back year from him though.

With his recent history... a big question would he even be healthy during the next buyout window. Not to mention he has a history of taking longer than normal to recover (tho his reason is he wants to be 110% ready).

If Booth comes back and struggle for a few weeks, i wonder if MG would consider just having him sit out the rest of the year in hopes he doesn't get hurt then buy him out... :laugh: The other question is rather or not MG even has the money to do the buy out given he just bought out Ballard. Considering he wasn't allowed to buyout Luongo (if you believe the rumors), the combination of Booth and Ballard is even more money...

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
booth just has bad luck. with injuries. snake bitten. maybe give him another chance next year if he thrives good. if not one of gillis "bad moves".

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
IMO id like to see Booth get moved. Even if he's moved for peanuts like Horcoff, rather have the cap relief and open roster spot. Ill give Gillis credit for going out and making the trade for Booth in the first place, but the facts are that as of now it hasn't worked out. If we've learned anything over the last year its that if you dont nip things in the bud were gonna wind up with egg on our face, and quite frankly im sick of our franchise being the current laughing stock on these boards. I actually dont mind Booth as a player , hes big, can skate,lots of potential, he just hasnt put it all together. There's also to many intangibles that i rather not deal with (eg. his off ice hobbies, injury issues). I know it may seem trivial but i just rather not deal with the uproar of him cutting his pinking while gutting some animal he just shot:sarcasm: Gillis said he wanted to get younger so lets end the Booth experiment and see which one of our kids can step up and play. Anyone who thinks we have a great shot of winning the cup next year is only fooling themselves, i see next year as a transitional one so what do we have to lose ;)

Problem here is, it's not like there's replacements (top 6 wingers) just floating around waiting to be picked up.

First the player has to fit what the Canucks want, then he has to be available, then he has to prefer the Canucks over 30 other teams, THEN we have to pay him.

What replacements that fit all the major variables are out there ?

We'll give Booth this season to get rid of his injury bug and most likely, just like Bieksa, everyone will forget about this nonsense.

JA

Will we ever see the day when Booth, Bo(w), and Hunter all play on the same line?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
ryan kesler is injury-prone...he plays a style of hockey that he cannot adjust that inevitably leads to the same kind of injuries at important points of every season

david booth's injury history reveals more of a streak of bad luck similar to how kevin bieksa was afflicted with bad-luck injuries year-after-year

Agreed.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

This.

It is absolutely stupid to think to buy-out a player that's just had injury problems. Especially one that's actually scoring more than passing, with size and speed, get .5 PPG with a corsi rating like Booth's.

He should take his time coming back; do a lot of physical prep and he'll do fine if he stays healthy.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
You can post all the articles you want that are written by CDC posters and it won't change the fact that he's given nothing positive to this team for two years and is a huge risk and his cap hit is currently hurting our ability to field decent depth all with the hope that he somehow comes out and plays enough games to put up 40 points if he can find some chemistry with somebody on our team.

He has 5 points in his last 28 games and by the time next season starts has played 11.3 games in 18 months. And this is a guy that has needed to be working on his skills every single day. From passing to shooting he needs to be on the ice trying to improve so that he can make a pass quickly, or just make a pass! and hit different areas of the net with his shot, the crest is not a target!

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
You can post all the articles you want that are written by CDC posters and it won't change the fact that he's given nothing positive to this team for two years and is a huge risk and his cap hit is currently hurting our ability to field decent depth all with the hope that he somehow comes out and plays enough games to put up 40 points if he can find some chemistry with somebody on our team.

He has 5 points in his last 28 games and by the time next season starts has played 11.3 games in 18 months.

oh ok. well, enjoy having him on the team next year. i will! :handclap:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
oh ok. well, enjoy having him on the team next year. i will! :handclap:

Lets hold hands and pray he doesn't skate down the middle with his head down and get knocked out. Because then we'll be stuck with him for another year. I have never ever been so hopeful a player stays healthy, and it's this guy of all people :laugh: FML. First round loss here we come.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

Booth will need to be medically cleared before he is given a conventional buyout. This is not ideal, as it causes retention of $1.3m salary, counting against the cap. However, the bylaws do allow the Canucks to spend that money as long as Booth is off the books by the start of the season or is on LTIR.

So, no problem.

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Problem here is, it's not like there's replacements (top 6 wingers) just floating around waiting to be picked up.

First the player has to fit what the Canucks want, then he has to be available, then he has to prefer the Canucks over 30 other teams, THEN we have to pay him.

What replacements that fit all the major variables are out there ?

We'll give Booth this season to get rid of his injury bug and most likely, just like Bieksa, everyone will forget about this nonsense.

I think you missed the point of my post. Once again, IMO i rather have the open roster spot for one our prospects to move into. This may not be the best idea in your opinion but i think Booth is nothing more than a stop gap now. Whats the point of giving him, and his cap hit, another year to turn it around when most believe he has no place in the future of this team. Higgins can fill in the top 6 while the kids can compete for the open spot on the 3rd or 4th lines. I can see why some may not find this ideal, but the way i see it is this going to be a transition year (new alignment, new cap structure, our team is trending down, etc.) so what do we have to lose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad