David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Booth will need to be medically cleared before he is given a conventional buyout. This is not ideal, as it causes retention of $1.3m salary, counting against the cap. However, the bylaws do allow the Canucks to spend that money as long as Booth is off the books by the start of the season or is on LTIR.

So, no problem.

I doubt that the Canucks would do a conventional buyout, the owners seem reluctant to do so.

But if they sign an expensive UFA now, on the basis that they can do a conventional buyout later, what happens if he's not healthy enough to do that when the season starts?

You obviously put him on LTIR, but what then when he gets healthy enough to play? Who goes then, because you can't buy him out? I doubt anyone would take him at that stage, you'd have to meet the cap somehow.

Potentially big problem.

The Canucks won't go over cap to a large degree and hope they can do somethnig later.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
I doubt that the Canucks would do a conventional buyout, the owners seem reluctant to do so.

But if they sign an expensive UFA now, on the basis that they can do a conventional buyout later, what happens if he's not healthy enough to do that when the season starts?

You obviously put him on LTIR, but what then when he gets healthy enough to play? Who goes then, because you can't buy him out? I doubt anyone would take him at that stage, you'd have to meet the cap somehow.

Potentially big problem.

The Canucks won't go over cap to a large degree and hope they can do somethnig later.

The only way the Canucks could do a conventional buyout now is if they had a player going to arbitration and ended up over the cap as a result of the ruling. Buyout period is over until next year

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Booth has looked awful so far this season, can't make a pass to save his life.

I'm generally a pretty positive fan, I like Torts, MG, and don't have a lot of negative comments about players but my god Booth is just brutal

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I really want to buy him out this off season but we should still give him a chance. But hey WHO CARES if we don't do well this season. We can get a solid pick in the draft to add to our prospect pool.

Jensen
Horvat
Shinkaruk
Cassels
Subban
Tommernes/Andersson
???(Who will be that good 1st rounder?)

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
wonder if some team will bite on booth and give maybe a prospect+pick just to get his caphit off the canucks hands.. he's been utterly useless

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'm going to be combo-breaker here and pose a serious question: has he always hunted in the offseason? It was reported that Canucks brass wanted his offseason training to be more hockey-specific; is it possible they thought he could have made better use of his time off, even if he couldn't be on the ice while recovering from ankle surgery? And if so, then how?

Or might it simply be a case of his general training regimen not being so suited for hockey? We know MG has already said before that he was guilty of working out too much in fact...

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Wouldn't mind trading Booth somewhere and then trading for Versteeg.

It's just too bad he can't find his scoring touch here with either the Sedins or Kesler, but he seems to play ok with Higgins though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
how did this guy ever get 60 pts, he can barely handle the puck

Not sure if we have watched the same player. Booth handles the puck pretty well and is capable of cutting to the net while carrying the puck with speed. His problem is shot accuracy and passing. Shot accuracy is excusable when he's on top of his game and take a ton of shots on net, but I can't stand his passing. He makes these hard passes that either end on a players feet or it's so hard that they are hard to handle. Basically when Booth doesn't shoot plays die on his stick.

I'm going to be combo-breaker here and pose a serious question: has he always hunted in the offseason? It was reported that Canucks brass wanted his offseason training to be more hockey-specific; is it possible they thought he could have made better use of his time off, even if he couldn't be on the ice while recovering from ankle surgery? And if so, then how?

Or might it simply be a case of his general training regimen not being so suited for hockey? We know MG has already said before that he was guilty of working out too much in fact...

As far as I know, Booth has been a big-time hunter before he even made it to the NHL. Gillis and co. seem to have hold this belief that they know how to train and develop players better. So yes they do believe Booth can train more efficiently.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
As i have said in the blue jackets PGT what i think he needs is confidence. It makes a world of difference, especially a player that has been injured so often over the last two years. He probably barely remembers what it felt like to really be top of his game... I am advocating some time with kesler/a twin or two. It may be a bit painful to watch at the start but if he gets his mojo back he could make a real difference for this team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As i have said in the blue jackets PGT what i think he needs is confidence. It makes a world of difference, especially a player that has been injured so often over the last two years. He probably barely remembers what it felt like to really be top of his game... I am advocating some time with kesler/a twin or two. It may be a bit painful to watch at the start but if he gets his mojo back he could make a real difference for this team.

I've said this before, Booth should be given more opportunities to play LEFT wing. If I'm not mistaken, Booth spent most of his time playing LW. That's the position he was playing when he scored 30 goals. But ever since he got here Booth has been playing mostly RW. I'm not saying that Booth can't play RW, but if he's better on the left the team should play him on the left. Of course that means not playing Booth with the Sedins, but there's no reason why Booth can't be given priority on left wing when he's playing on other lines.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
I've said this before, Booth should be given more opportunities to play LEFT wing. If I'm not mistaken, Booth spent most of his time playing LW. That's the position he was playing when he scored 30 goals. But ever since he got here Booth has been playing mostly RW. I'm not saying that Booth can't play RW, but if he's better on the left the team should play him on the left. Of course that means not playing Booth with the Sedins, but there's no reason why Booth can't be given priority on left wing when he's playing on other lines.

Hasn't he been playing LW this season? With Kassian currently on the right?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Wow, your sarcastic avatar and posts are just so funny. You are taking it to the extreme. Comedic genius.

It's an improvement on the overwrought pissing and moaning that preceded this routine.

And I say that without irony or malice, I genuinely enjoy these posts by comparison.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I hope he can get some confidence back. He's hardly played the last couple years and I think that's really affecting his timing and decision making. He doesn't seem very fluent in those areas right now. When he was playing well he obviously wasn't a great playmaker, but he was pretty good and carrying the puck into the zone himself and had a willingness to drive the net. Right now that's missing from his game.

The hope of a 30 goal guy is obviously gone...that's not gonna happen on this team. However, he does have the size and speed to up this team's ability to sustain a forecheck which Torts seems to talk about a lot. He does have some excellent qualities, but perhaps the coaching staff may need to work with him to re-define his game a little bit to be more of a grinder, and will likely happen once they get a better feel for the team.

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Confidence is one thing, but a large part of it is a lack of pure hockey knowledge. He holds on to the puck too long, passes are extremely inaccurate, and he shot is pitiful.

He talked in the Calgary game that his game has now changed, and he needs to go to the net to tip in shots, basically that is all he is good for at this point, but he doesn't even do that on a consistent basis, he spends all his time on the boards holding the puck instead of moving it along the boards and going to the net. That is what he really needs to do on a regular basis.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
This is not a confidence issue. Booth doesn't have the skill to be an effective player in todays NHL. Should have bought him out in the off season.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
This is not a confidence issue. Booth doesn't have the skill to be an effective player in todays NHL. Should have bought him out in the off season.

Impossible given that he was injured at the time. Were he healthy, I suspect he'd have been bought out (unless they're saving it to possibly use for Luongo).

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Wizard-of-Oz-Scarecrow.jpeg
= Booth

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
As far as I know, Booth has been a big-time hunter before he even made it to the NHL. Gillis and co. seem to have hold this belief that they know how to train and develop players better. So yes they do believe Booth can train more efficiently.

I see. That said, it's hard to say whether it's a big deal or not because who knows how much of his offseason he spends training for hockey?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Booth hasn't lived up to expectations but gosh guys, every single one of his plays is over analyzed and critiqued in our GDTs like no other player on the team right now. Everyone complaining about him 24/7 has really added to the negative perception of him, and his flaws are greatly exaggerated.

Raymond was given the same treatment in the past, where every shift when he didn't score was considered a failure.

Lord Flacko*

Booth hasn't lived up to expectations but gosh guys, every single one of his plays is over analyzed and critiqued in our GDTs like no other player on the team right now. Everyone complaining about him 24/7 has really added to the negative perception of him, and his flaws are greatly exaggerated.

You think Booth is the only player this happens to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad