David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?

The last few game he's made some passes that make me think maybe he just might just pull it together this year. He's certainly looked better the last few games (not just the skating about fast bit). I'm prepared to give him another little while to see where he ends up.

I'd like to see the Nucks try and get a play making centre for that line of Booth-XXX-Kassian, not sure Kesler is the best fit.

Wizeman*

I will tell you my opinion but its my observation only.

Booth does not succeed more for a very obvious and often over looked reason. His ability to see the ice and pass the puck is not even close to NHL capacity.

His speed, strength , passion , drive , and his shot are all above average NHL quality.

So opponents defend him by taking away his shot , forcing him to either try a low percentage shot anyways, or turn the puck over since he cant pass.

The only way we can utilize his strengths is to have Kassian / Kesler carry the puck and make the decision to pass or shoot. Kesler has not used him linemates well in the past year or so and will need to return to the things that made him successful when he got so many assists.

Kassian is more than capable of passing and is quite the budding play maker.

Booth has to drive to the net to receive a pass or deflect a shot or get a rebound.

StringerBell

I like Booth. Probably tied with Garrison for most underappreciated Canucks.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I think Schroeder who's a pass first player, and Kassian who will pass or shoot and plays along the boards better, along with Booth who has great wheels for the open ice would make a great line. Read this AV! No Lapierre, he doesn't fit.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Quick warning to all - discuss David Booth the NHL player only. Any discussion of his personal beliefs or his extra-cirricular activities will be removed.

professorchaos

Nov 22, 2011
Langley
Booth needs to somehow find chemistry with a teammate. He plays a very similar game to Hansen, but has superior offensive skills. The only problem is he doesn't have a Higgins to gel with. IDK who can fill that role.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Agree that Booth has the tools. Last night he was getting chances. The goals will come.

The bonus for Booth scoring is that it draws checking away from the Sedins, of course. Booth is hard to check. If he is able to force his way through coverage and score awesome chances it will also unsettle opposition coaches, no? It's a complication, it contributes to team success.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Booth does not succeed more for a very obvious and often over looked reason. His ability to see the ice and pass the puck is not even close to NHL capacity.

This is part of it (or even most of it) but there were a few times I see him with the puck, looking up to see a teammate open only to have him look back down and forgo the pass. Frustrating.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

It's both and more. He needs a playmaker to truly shine IMO.

I wouldn't say his hockey sense is bad every play out either. He's just very inconsistent in how thinks the game, play by play. When someone regularly scores 20 goals, I have a hard time saying they have bad hockey sense on every play of every game. Clearly, there are some plays where he just gets it, and it's the back of the net. Other times, he struggles. That's the maddening part with this player.

On the whole though, some 2nd liners have carved out careers with far less going for them. In that sense, I think he brings more to the table than the average fan appreciates.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
He's only got in a half-dozen games or so thus far, he's gonna need about twice that to get the timing back and put it all together. The rest of the guys have already gotten up to game speed while Booth is still working out some of the kinks. He's playing hard though, getting his chances for sure, driving the play and skating really well.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

He's actually looked better than I remember from last year. He's not pulling up on any hits, finishing a lot of checks, winning his share of puck battles and getting the puck to the net. He's still a complete non factor in terms of puck movement but at least has played with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Something he only did in spurts last season.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I will tell you my opinion but its my observation only.

His speed, strength , passion , drive , and his shot are all above average NHL quality.

So opponents defend him by taking away his shot , forcing him to either try a low percentage shot anyways, or turn the puck over since he cant pass.

The only way we can utilize his strengths is to have Kassian / Kesler carry the puck and make the decision to pass or shoot. Kesler has not used him linemates well in the past year or so and will need to return to the things that made him successful when he got so many assists.

Kassian is more than capable of passing and is quite the budding play maker.

Booth has to drive to the net to receive a pass or deflect a shot or get a rebound.

I totally agree with this, he's like a 8 year old kid that can skate fast but has no clue how to see the ice or pass or play in his own zone. It's like he stopped developing as a player at that age. his shot is also terrible.

He really is clueless for sure.

Last edited:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
He's actually looked better than I remember from last year. He's not pulling up on any hits, finishing a lot of checks, winning his share of puck battles and getting the puck to the net. He's still a complete non factor in terms of puck movement but at least has played with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Something he only did in spurts last season.

Sounds like quite the grinder for 4.2 million. He should be making less than Hansen even if he is scoring because he is not a complete hockey player at all.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Scorer at the same pace last year as he did in Florida in his last season there.

He has been bringing tons of energy lately.

StringerBell

This isn't true. He's been skating the puck into the offensive zone a couple times a game and moving the puck up the wall well when not playing with Lapierre and Kassian.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I would like a Booth Schroeder Kassian line please, I also have a lot of time for how Booth plays the game.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Booth is what he is: an overrated player who can skate fast and drive the net but is a black hole offensively. Plays go to die when they land within his vicinity.

I watched his first thirty games as a Canuck and just had this feeling that there was no breaking in period with this guy, despite how many believed otherwise. What we saw was what we got and so far, he hasn't proven me wrong there.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
This isn't true. He's been skating the puck into the offensive zone a couple times a game and moving the puck up the wall well when not playing with Lapierre and Kassian.

When I say puck movement I'm refering to moving it to his linemates. He can shovel it up the wall with the best of them. It's setting up his linemates for shots that I rarely see.

Hopefully he gets to play with Schroeder and Kassian soon. AV seems completely oblivious to the fact Schroeder's passing ability dwarfs that of Lapierre and that Booth is the guy you want on the receiving end of nice passes, not Tostito.

dps

Nov 30, 2011
I would like a Booth Schroeder Kassian line please, I also have a lot of time for how Booth plays the game.

I agreed, I want to see this line tried for 5 games or so, for better or worse. Not the typical AV try outs where you get one shift to make something happen and if you don't the lines get reversed.

I would also like to speculate out loud (probably not originally mind you) that I think part of the reason why JS isnt putting up as much points as he could is because he is afraid. Afraid that if he attempts to make a offensive move that is 'risky' defensively and backfires even a little bit he will get demoted, benched, or scratched.

Just look at Ballard, he's been pretty solid on a more regular basis than some of our top d-men defensively, but he had a bad game in phoenix and got scratched for two games.

*shrug*

OT: I don't mind booth, I'm willing to give him the rest of the season, probably next as well (granted things are looking up) to see what he is really made of. I liked him with kesler and Higgins last year before he took a knee to the knee.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I agreed, I want to see this line tried for 5 games or so, for better or worse. Not the typical AV try outs where you get one shift to make something happen and if you don't you're demoted.

Yea I hate how AV dose that, you finally get a line combo you've been wanting to see for a while, you think it might work, then boom, its gone.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
The last few game he's made some passes that make me think maybe he just might just pull it together this year.

He might suffer from the "Rick Nash" syndrome. His play makes him look like he should produce 2x as much as he actually does. Oh well, great for advanced stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad