Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I had said one of the worst contracts of all time. Still stand by that. Top 10 worst contract ever in the NHL. That takes doing!
They're running out of places in the lineup to hide him.

I thought he held his line back quite a few times last night.

Sucks to see. Sounds like he's a great guy to have around. But man... This is rough.

Im not really questioning the contract right now as much as Im questioning whether he should be in the lineup at all... But they do sort of go hand in hand. :laugh:

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I had said one of the worst contracts of all time. Still stand by that. Top 10 worst contract ever in the NHL. That takes doing!

Clarkson
Horton
Seabrook
Lucic
Laad
Alzner
Lehtera
Brendan Smith
Maybe Vlasic (man has he been really bad this year, year 1 of 7 x 8)
Price
If someone decides to pay Bob north or 10.

Still pretty bad though. Term kills. At least Backes is only 5 years.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Clarkson
Horton
Seabrook
Lucic
Laad
Alzner
Lehtera
Brendan Smith
Price

You forgot the guy David Backes replaced: Loui Eriksson.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Clarkson
Horton
Seabrook
Lucic
Laad
Alzner
Lehtera
Brendan Smith
Price

Backes with lowest ice time of entire team tonight, playing less than 10 minutes. That includes a guy playing only his 2nd NHL game.

6 million against the cap,

No real line he fits on.

Still 2 years to go.

What a disaster.

Reactions: Estlin and Blowfish

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Backes with lowest ice time of entire team tonight, playing less than 10 minutes. That includes a guy playing only his 2nd NHL game.

6 million against the cap,

No real line he fits on.

Still 2 years to go.

What a disaster.
Talk about throwing Frederic to the wolves giving him Backes as a linemate.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Clarkson
Horton
Seabrook
Lucic
Laad
Alzner
Lehtera
Brendan Smith
Price

missing some classic bad contracts
rick dipetro
alexei yashin
9 mill for bobby holik
jeff finger a bad ahl dman
ville leino wow... horrific
mark fayne

backes has admittedly been hurt a lot but when healthy has been pretty decent... id say better than loui Eriksson who you also left off your list. its not a contract any of us would go back and do over but its not buyout territory like so many others have been... he isn't an ahl player like a lot of these other guys end up

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
missing some classic bad contracts
rick dipetro
alexei yashin
9 mill for bobby holik
jeff finger a bad ahl dman
ville leino wow... horrific
mark fayne

backes has admittedly been hurt a lot but when healthy has been pretty decent... id say better than loui Eriksson who you also left off your list. its not a contract any of us would go back and do over but its not buyout territory like so many others have been... he isn't an ahl player like a lot of these other guys end up

I wouldn't even say backs was worst contract for boston… rather be paying him then a fake like alexei zhamnov who too our money and ran for the hills.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I wouldn't even say backs was worst contract for boston… rather be paying him then a fake like alexei zhamnov who too our money and ran for the hills.
Well, um, yea. That's obvious, but not really relevant.

Like I'd rather Boston pay Backes than pay Beleskey to play on another team.... But wait. We are doing both. Doh. Are we still paying Jimmy Hayes too?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well, um, yea. That's obvious, but not really relevant.

Like I'd rather Boston pay Backes than pay Beleskey to play on another team.... But wait. We are doing both. Doh. Are we still paying Jimmy Hayes too?

the comment was directed towards someone calling backes one of 10 worst contracts of all time. I know a number like that is tossed out as an agenda to create more emotional hysteria.

im pretty sure I can come up with 100 contracts id say are worst and most would agree... but that's also irrelevant

a bad contract is a bad contract. no one is going to try to say this is a good contract

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
the comment was directed towards someone calling backes one of 10 worst contracts of all time. I know a number like that is tossed out as an agenda to create more emotional hysteria.

im pretty sure I can come up with 100 contracts id say are worst and most would agree... but that's also irrelevant

a bad contract is a bad contract. no one is going to try to say this is a good contract

Worst contract of all time. Up there with Scott Gomez and Dipietro

Last edited:
Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Backes is far from the worst contract of all time. Without him, we certainly don't make the playoffs in 2016-2017. If we don't make the playoffs that year, we might still be stuck in a huge rut, Cassidy may not have been retained and/or Sweeny might have made a desperation trade.

Point being, at least Backes served a very important purpose, if only for one season. We are paying a heavy price on the backside, but sometimes that's how these things work.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
it`s unfortunate to watch Backes really, at the time of the deal, while I was concerned with the number, thought DB was coming off a terrific post season with the Blues and he`d slide into a Bruins jersey and after some time to acclimate himself he`d fit in nicely. Some injuries, some health issues and that adjustment time have just put him in a spot where he`s now a problem. I truly respect his drive to get back out there and be on the ice following all he`s been through off it with the things mentioned above but he can`t keep pace with the game, while he lays out a nice hit every now and then, his game is ineffective.

He was never a massive point producer with the Blues but now he brings little to nothing offensively and where he was once a very solid puck protector, he gets it, passes are off or his shots come from just inside the blueline, harmless little wristers. I`m sure the guy is a great teammate but right now, anyone saddled with having him on their line just stagnates. I haven`t a clue what if anything Sweeney can do with him but he`s the common denominator when discussing the 3rd line. Really too bad, liked the acquisition at the time it happened, as I mentioned, a bit worried about the $$

Reactions: sarge88 and Emerz

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Backes is far from the worst contract of all time. Without him, we certainly don't make the playoffs in 2016-2017. If we don't make the playoffs that year, we might still be stuck in a huge rut, Cassidy may not have been retained and/or Sweeny might have made a desperation trade.

Point being, at least Backes served a very important purpose, if only for one season. We are paying a heavy price on the backside, but sometimes that's how these things work.
comedy gold

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
it`s unfortunate to watch Backes really, at the time of the deal, while I was concerned with the number, thought DB was coming off a terrific post season with the Blues and he`d slide into a Bruins jersey and after some time to acclimate himself he`d fit in nicely. Some injuries, some health issues and that adjustment time have just put him in a spot where he`s now a problem. I truly respect his drive to get back out there and be on the ice following all he`s been through off it with the things mentioned above but he can`t keep pace with the game, while he lays out a nice hit every now and then, his game is ineffective.

He was never a massive point producer with the Blues but now he brings little to nothing offensively and where he was once a very solid puck protector, he gets it, passes are off or his shots come from just inside the blueline, harmless little wristers. I`m sure the guy is a great teammate but right now, anyone saddled with having him on their line just stagnates. I haven`t a clue what if anything Sweeney can do with him but he`s the common denominator when discussing the 3rd line. Really too bad, liked the acquisition at the time it happened, as I mentioned, a bit worried about the $$
and he, with Beleskey, are why this team will remain without the tools to really go deep for this year, next and maybe the year after that. Aside from his foolish drafting, which could be overcome to some degree, DS's moves with these two players effed the team profoundly.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
and he, with Beleskey, are why this team will remain without the tools to really go deep for this year, next and maybe the year after that. Aside from his foolish drafting, which could be overcome to some degree, DS's moves with these two players effed the team profoundly.

He gave up some good players to move Beleskey and don't doubt he's trying to do the same with Backes. Too me Sweeney's worst move was the one draft.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
HF hyperbole is some of the best.

Yup.

I think sometimes folks forget some of the brutal contracts handed out early in the salary cap era when GMs had even less of a handle on managing the cap than they do today.

Even the Bruins themselves started out with a couple doozys. A freak ankle injury saved them from the 3-year Zhamnov deal. They were able to pawn off Scatchard quickly to Arizona but that 4-year deal was a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad