Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett Out as Head Coach (now official)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if Tippett refused to be part of the Doan fiasco and Barroway is using that as cause to fire Tippett and void contract.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I've asked before; why isn't Adam Oates a bench boss anymore? Does he make more doing privates?

How about Bryan Trottier? He should be ready for a HC job.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I've asked before; why isn't Adam Oates a bench boss anymore? Does he make more doing privates?

How about Bryan Trottier? He should be ready for a HC job.
Trottier is is my 2nd fav 19 ever (well, 3rd if you count Montana's time in KC). All-time great player, not a great coach...see his time with NYR. Long-term assistant fits him best.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Also Tippett having the Executive VP of Hockey Ops as well as Head Coach titles could have an impact on those clauses if they do exist.

Although I prefer a clean break, I am fine with Tippett moving to the executive VP position full-time (if he's willing). He does have some skills in that area; the problem has often been his typically over-reliance on the wrong team strategy for a young team with more offensive strengths than he is used to. I still think he's good at finding and putting together a team with solid defensive players. As long as he doesn't go power-crazy with personnel changes and allows Chayka (and his AMs) to do their jobs (and only approve or recommend actions), I'd be okay. Of course, I don't think he would want to stay in that position for 5 years (and probably shouldn't), but if things go well, you never know.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Although I prefer a clean break, I am fine with Tippett moving to the executive VP position full-time (if he's willing). He does have some skills in that area; the problem has often been his typically over-reliance on the wrong team strategy for a young team with more offensive strengths than he is used to. I still think he's good at finding and putting together a team with solid defensive players. As long as he doesn't go power-crazy with personnel changes and allows Chayka (and his AMs) to do their jobs (and only approve or recommend actions), I'd be okay. Of course, I don't think he would want to stay in that position for 5 years (and probably shouldn't), but if things go well, you never know.

That's a good point, wonder if his contract allows the team to involuntarily bump him out of the HC role but stay in Hockey Ops.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if Tippett refused to be part of the Doan fiasco and Barroway is using that as cause to fire Tippett and void contract.

Tippett is out of town. His summer home in Minnesota got ****ed over by a tornado.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tip can just let them fire him and sit back, collect the money. There is likely a clause in the contract, that if he is fired, and then hired by another club, the Coyotes would not have to pay him anything or only the amount up to making up the dollars in his new contract. It depends on what Tip wants to do. If he still wants to coach and is wiling to leave Arizona, he could see whats out there and what kind of deal he can cut.

Tip could line up another job, and then go back to the Coyotes with a settlement offer. That way Tip makes out better financially, and so do the Coyotes. If Tip doesn't want to move or coach any more, or at least not now, he can get paid while he sits on the beach. Unless Barroway can buy him out for less money, I don't think this happens. I don't see Barroway paying him to sit on the beach and I think this is a cost cutting move, not a hockey move.

The new coach will be somebody cheap because otherwise it doesn't make sense. Who is qualified to pick the new coach? Chayka and Barroway aren't qualified, who else? This is a dangerous hire in my opinion because they won't spend the money to hire a proven coach like Suter, and neither Chayka or Barroway are experienced enough to hire a new or inexperienced NHL head coach.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's a good point, wonder if his contract allows the team to involuntarily bump him out of the HC role but stay in Hockey Ops.

The consequential part is the money. They could warehouse him by keeping him in management but he's still likely owed the same amount of money at the end of the day.

The best bet is probably to tell Tampa, Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, Winnipeg they have permission to talk to Tippett if they want him on a new contract.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Couple other names out there...

Travis Green
Paul McLean - forner Senators head coach
Scott Arniel - NYR assistant
Rod Brind'Amour

What's RBA's resume look like now? Absolutely loved him as a player, if he's seeing success as a coach somewhere then I'd consider taking a flyer on him.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I'd say a hire of Eakins might make this team the butt of so many jokes but it already is.

No Eakins.

Yeah, the Coyotes have been enough of a ****show the last few years. Let's not trend immediately back towards that after finally making some progress.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If this is accurate, it is a cost cutting move.

Or a hockey move to remove a stale and failing coach with his country club as would have happened in literally any other market or scenario that didn't involve being best pals with an ownership faction...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Or a hockey move to remove a stale and failing coach with his country club as would have happened in literally any other market or scenario that didn't involve being best pals with an ownership faction...

If its a hockey move, he will just fire Tip, move on, and hire a new coach. If Barroway does that and hires Suter or another name brand coach he has to pay 3 mill a year or more, then yes, it is a hockey move.

If Barroway is saying, we don't want you and we don't want to pay your salalry, so go shop and find a new job, so we don't have to pay you. Then he hires a new coach for 1 mill a year, some assistant or AHL coach, who knows, they are a dime a dozen. Then it is a cost cutting move.

I think Barroway is trying to figure out how to save money on coaching salary's. If he can buyout Tip and pay the new coach less than he had to pay Tip all in, he is ahead, and I think that is his plan.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Literally any coach will be an on ice improvement, so I don't think it matters if they get an experienced guy or gamble on a new face like they've done with Chayka.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Literally any coach will be an on ice improvement, so I don't think it matters if they get an experienced guy or gamble on a new face like they've done with Chayka.

Colorado fans would disagree:) and I do think their is huge risk in making the wrong choice.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

Exactly. The main thing is to not force players to play a style that's outdated and no longer works.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The absolute worst case scenario on a coaching change is that we watch a last place club instead of second to last for most of next season. The horror.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If its a hockey move, he will just fire Tip, move on, and hire a new coach. If Barroway does that and hires Suter or another name brand coach he has to pay 3 mill a year or more, then yes, it is a hockey move.

If Barroway is saying, we don't want you and we don't want to pay your salalry, so go shop and find a new job, so we don't have to pay you. Then he hires a new coach for 1 mill a year, some assistant or AHL coach, who knows, they are a dime a dozen. Then it is a cost cutting move.

I think Barroway is trying to figure out how to save money on coaching salary's. If he can buyout Tip and pay the new coach less than he had to pay Tip all in, he is ahead, and I think that is his plan.
Could be both...

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The absolute worst case scenario on a coaching change is that we watch a last place club instead of second to last for most of next season. The horror.

This is where I'm at too. What were doing now doesn't work. Can't get much worse from here. Might as well experiment with someone new

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I just can't help thinking that this is Barroway prettying up the house for a sale.

Pretty hard not to think it at this point. Makes the whole Tippet discussion kind of blah when the change seems more about money than philosophy.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Pretty hard not to think it at this point. Makes the whole Tippet discussion kind of blah when the change seems more about money than philosophy.

It seems like it has everything to do with philosophy though. The whole mantra is apparently "get rid of everything old".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad