Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett Out as Head Coach (now official)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Grimes and I were chatting and thought Los Angeles would be a natural fit for DT.

As for Arizona, I'd be fine with Lamb on a one year. Anyone but Tippett, really.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I wouldn't want him coaching a direct rival. It would be better if he were to coach Boston or Philly.

How are they going to get out from under that contract?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't want him coaching a direct rival. It would be better if he were to coach Boston or Philly.

How are they going to get out from under that contract?

Typically in any takeover there are funds set aside to remove unwanted personnel.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Interesting.

Wonder what coaches are available? Missed out on Gallant, missed out on Knaublauch, missed out on Housley...

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
This news will make my summer.

Adios Tippett and thank you for taking over for Gretzky.

His system is a piece of hot garbage

Last edited:

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Interesting.

Wonder what coaches are available? Missed out on Gallant, missed out on Knaublauch, missed out on Housley...

No coach can turn a team around faster than Darryl Sutter. I saw him do it in person in Calgary and we saw what he did in LA.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
After the Doan thing, I feel like this was inevitable. And under any other circumstances, I would be thrilled about it because this team, more than any other in the NHL, needs a real fresh start.

I just can't help thinking that this is Barroway prettying up the house for a sale.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Is Sutter going to take direction from Chayka? Only works if Lombardi comes in as President.

If Chayka remains then I go after Keefe.

SimplyCoyotes

Jun 11, 2014
I would be a big supporter of Bob Hartley. Yes, he has a 3 year shelf life, but he knows to get young players to perform and has experienced a lot of success with young teams.

This is just another move that is part of the process. Trust it folks, everything is going to be fine. The team ain't going anywhere.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yep. In favour.

Interesting tidbit. Attended a dinner and sat with Kris King many years back. He told us about how much Tocchet and he despised one another.

No Tocchet. If we fire DT, I would like to see a young up and comer, not another retread.

Reactions: cobra427

rt

May 13, 2004
If Tippett gets hired by another team, the Coyotes don't have to pay him. That's probably what Dater means. The Coyotes want to remove him, but only if they can be sure he's headed somewhere besides the golf course. If he can find a job, they'll ditch him. That's my read, anyway.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If Tippett gets hired by another team, the Coyotes don't have to pay him. That's probably what Dater means. The Coyotes want to remove him, but only if they can be sure he's headed somewhere besides the golf course. If he can find a job, they'll ditch him. That's my read, anyway.

Probably better to have made this move earlier if that's was the plan. You know before everyone filled their vacancies.

rt

May 13, 2004
Probably better to have made this move earlier if that's was the plan. You know before everyone filled their vacancies.

Barroway didn't get the team until the 12th. They may have been working on Tippett over the last week. Buffalo supposedly was "this" close to signing Capuano and backed out at the last minute. Maybe Tippett is their guy and we've been attempting to convince Wendy the Buffalo isn't "that" cold.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't think he had full control of the team before the buy out. There were rumblings that there were conflicts between the owners.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Barroway didn't get the team until the 12th. They may have been working on Tippett over the last week. Buffalo supposedly was "this" close to signing Capuano and backed out at the last minute. Maybe Tippett is their guy and we've been attempting to convince Wendy the Buffalo isn't "that" cold.

Didn't Buffalo sign Housley?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think he had full control of the team before the buy out. There were rumblings that there were conflicts between the owners.

He owned 54%. He's had a year to put together a plan. He knew the endgame. He knew who he wanted to keep and replace. All I can say is from a manager perspective he's off to what can only be described as a horrific start and all I see I still just another lost season ahead. Are we out of it but October or November this year?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If this is accurate, it is a cost cutting move. I expect Tip will take a buyout of less than he is owed or he is allowed to find a new head coach position so the coyotes don't have to eat his contract. The new coach will not be a Suter or name brand coach because of money. New coach will be on a cheap deal, probably young with no head coaching NHL experience. I think this move is about money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad