Confirmed with Link: Dave Tippett Out as Head Coach (now official)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He owned 54%. He's had a year to put together a plan. He knew the endgame. He knew who he wanted to keep and replace. All I can say is from a manager perspective he's off to what can only be described as a horrific start and all I see I still just another lost season ahead. Are we out of it but October or November this year?

True, but we don't know the other details of the owners agreement. If he had total control of who he wanted, why would he agree to a DT extention, a long expensive one at that, if he now wants to get rid of him.

Feb 12, 2003
Barroway, do not toy with my emotions like this. You might actually prompt me to get season tickets this year if this happened.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
True, but we don't know the other details of the owners agreement. If he had total control of who he wanted, why would he agree to a DT extention, a long expensive one at that, if he now wants to get rid of him.

Because Drummond

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I suspect the Tippett extension was a bit of a poison pill introduced by previous management in exchange for removing Maloney (which was demanded apparently by Barroway) and to ensure they kept a person they believed in with Tippett (edited)

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have no objection to letting Tippett go as part of a fresh start. Does he deserve to be let go? IMO no but it doesn't matter. This team really does need a fresh start. I'm glad that there is a house cleaning going on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I suspect the Tippett extension was a bit of a poison pill introduced by previous management in exchange for removing Maloney (which was demanded apparently by Barroway) and to ensure they kept a person they believed in with Maloney.

Now you are really grasping at straws.:)

I have no objection to letting Tippett go as part of a fresh start. Does he deserve to be let go? IMO no but it doesn't matter. This team really does need a fresh start. I'm glad that there is a house cleaning going on.

I have said before and I will say it again. I don't care who owns the team or who the coach is as long as my team is here. Rome wasn't built in a day, and so far I think everything is going as planned.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ

I think he definitely deserves to be let go for not adapting his system whatsoever year to year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Now you are really grasping at straws.:)

I have said before and I will say it again. I don't care who owns the team or who the coach is as long as my team is here. Rome wasn't built in a day, and so far I think everything is going as planned.

Fixed it. Thanks lol.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I kinda assumed they won't do any coaching change during the offseason but I definitely believe Tippett is on a short leash now. Depending on how the season starts.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Missed out on Knoblauch (Damnit) but he's not ready to be a head coach yet.
Missed out on Gallant (Damnit) Barroway couldn't take over sooner
Housley is gone (Damnit) Screw you Buffalo

I'd bet my money on Chayka going to get Sheldon Keefe from the Marlies. Very receptive to analytics in his time with the Soo Greyhounds in the OHL (because of Dubas as GM). Plus his Marlies teams have fared well the past few years.

I'd also like to interview Blaine Forsythe/Todd Reirden from the Caps. They both run the offense there. BU the rumor is either one is in the running when Trotz's contract expires in DC in 2 years.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If Tippett gets hired by another team, the Coyotes don't have to pay him. That's probably what Dater means. The Coyotes want to remove him, but only if they can be sure he's headed somewhere besides the golf course. If he can find a job, they'll ditch him. That's my read, anyway.

Depends entirely on Tip's contract language.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Couple other names out there...

Travis Green
Paul McLean - forner Senators head coach
Scott Arniel - NYR assistant
Rod Brind'Amour

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Depends entirely on Tip's contract language.

Did not know that. I would guess that if they work with him and they all decide he'd be a better fit in LA and he goes there willingly, we wouldn't be on the hook to pay him more money. That would seem very strange to me and not in line with the precedent that I'm more aware of. Would you agree?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
John Anderson's PP was as entertaining as it gets. Haha. Laugh out loud entertainment. It didn't lead to any goals, but boy oh boy did a bunch of STUFF happen out there.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we're doing this, I think my top pick is Dallas Eakins.

I'll probably get buried for that but if you want to embrace analytics as well as working with young talent, then this is your guy. He wasn't ready in Edmonton but he rebuilt his reputation in San Diego.

Off the top of my head I think Tim Hunter and Brent Sutter are interesting.

I think DT is a good fit in Philly, Winnipeg, NYR, STL, if any of those teams make a change at some point.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If we're doing this, I think my top pick is Dallas Eakins.

I was about to post the same thing. I think Eakins could do much better with a GM that understood a bit better about how to build a young team than Edmonton did.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I like Eakins. Also Tim Hunter. Sutter would be amazing IMO (want the Jets to get him) but he has not worked a young roster in a long time.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Did not know that. I would guess that if they work with him and they all decide he'd be a better fit in LA and he goes there willingly, we wouldn't be on the hook to pay him more money. That would seem very strange to me and not in line with the precedent that I'm more aware of. Would you agree?

They can certainly try to negotiate a buyout. And there could even be buyout terms in the contract.

It's not uncommon for contracts to include a clause that if person is fired and hired by another organization then they can only collect the difference between their old salary and new salaries. But it's not mandatory to include that in a contract. Also Tippett having the Executive VP of Hockey Ops as well as Head Coach titles could have an impact on those clauses if they do exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad