Confirmed with Link: Dave Nonis TML GM|Burke retained as Senior Advisor to board - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Building through the draft and keeping draft picks.

That's not what Nonis did in Vancouver though. It was his trademark to give away 2nd-4th round picks for next few drafts at the deadline to desperately get into the playoffs. The players he got for those picks were complete thrash too that didn't help the team at all. It might not seem like a big deal when you look at it first, but it adds up in the long run and Canucks' drafting was pretty disastrous during those years (Grabner and Shirokov (8 games) the only players drafted from 06 and 07 that have played an NHL game).

Hoping he's better in Toronto but his time in Vancouver was pretty bad. If you forget maybe 2 good moves (Luongo and Mitchell), he just got nothing done during those years and failed to address issues in the roster (indecisiveness, no real plan in place), almost every player he got to play a certain role was a disappointment (horrible eye for talent), and even though he didn't make any single huge mistake, he gradually crippled the franchise by making several bad minor deals.

AndMat*

John Shannon has said People in the board say Dave Nonis wont be GM of the leafs Next year and this is just an Interim job,

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
The timing is a bit odd but I don't know why people are overreacting. Does Burke or no Burke have any effect on players getting ready, training camp, and how everybody performs on the ice? No. We're not talking about a coach being fired right before the season starts. It's not detrimental at all, not for the team, not for any potential deals to be made.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If that's the case, why not give him the interim title? This just confuses people more. On the surface it looks like we have a new permanent GM but he's going to be replaced in 6 months?

John Shannon is more of a miss than a hit.

I don't trust Sportsnet at all...they'll say anything to get people to switch over from TSN.

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The timing is a bit odd but I don't know why people are overreacting. Does Burke or no Burke have any effect on players getting ready, training camp, and how everybody performs on the ice? No. We're not talking about a coach being fired right before the season starts. It's not detrimental at all, not for the team, not for any potential deals to be made.

You're mostly right but it could be detrimental in the sense that it's a distraction that our players just don't need right now. All anybody's going to be talking about for the next week is going to be Burke and that means the players are going to be asked about it. It's like trade deadline period, trade speculation is just that, and I'm sure the players try to put it out of their minds as best they can but it's a distraction for them. I know it's not quite the same as trade speculation involves the player and this doesn't... but it won't stop the media asking anyways.

AndMat*

I don't trust Sportsnet at all...they'll say anything to get people to switch over from TSN.

And what if he is right? what then, Also John Shannon has been calling the Bozak+Kadri trade for a while We will see if hes right, just remember he said it first and not your "TSN" Boyfriends

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I really hope you're right, last thing we need out of this is to confuse everybody more. Though I do admit, if there's an organization in hockey to do something as crazy as that, it would be MLSE haha.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
You're mostly right but it could be detrimental in the sense that it's a distraction that our players just don't need right now. All anybody's going to be talking about for the next week is going to be Burke and that means the players are going to be asked about it. It's like trade deadline period, trade speculation is just that, and I'm sure the players try to put it out of their minds as best they can but it's a distraction for them. I know it's not quite the same as trade speculation involves the player and this doesn't... but it won't stop the media asking anyways.

I don't think it's a distraction, or that if it is, the thought it puts into the players' heads is "damn...we have to be a better team."

Having just barely finished tough negotiations in time to save a season, I doubt any of the players returning to the ice have ever been more focused on playing hockey in their lives.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Management situation

Just a quick brief pointer, I think the leafs should of demoted Brian Burke as it was and brought back pat Quinn as there gm, the leafs were yearly contenders under Quinn, he didn't make te playoffs once and got shown the door... Burke had 5 attempts at playoffs n finally got shown the door

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think it's a distraction, or that if it is, the thought it puts into the players' heads is "damn...we have to be a better team."

Having just barely finished tough negotiations in time to save a season, I doubt any of the players returning to the ice have ever been more focused on playing hockey in their lives.

I sure hope you're right. Either way though, I really don't understand why that needed to happen now rather than 8 months ago or after this season. I suppose I never will.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Just a quick brief pointer, I think the leafs should of demoted Brian Burke as it was and brought back pat Quinn as there gm, the leafs were yearly contenders under Quinn, he didn't make te playoffs once and got shown the door... Burke had 5 attempts at playoffs n finally got shown the door

Pat Quinn didn't have to deal with a salary cap and he had one of the biggest budgets in hockey.......

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Pat Quinn didn't have to deal with a salary cap and he had one of the biggest budgets in hockey.......

And consistently without fail traded away youth. Imagine the heart palpitations some of these posters would have with Quinn at the helm these days.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013

He spent 72 million on a 2003 leafs team that featured Roberts sundin, belfour, mogilny, McCabe, kaberle, Marchand, etc

Had an elite roster for current salary costs, without a doubt I'd say he would fair better than Burke

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
He spent 72 million on a 2003 leafs team that featured Roberts sundin, belfour, mogilny, McCabe, kaberle, Marchand, etc

Had an elite roster for current salary costs, without a doubt I'd say he would fair better than Burke

That's almost 90 million dollars accounting for inflation. Cap is way lower than that.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

There is something known as inflation....perhaps you've heard of it. 72 million 10 years ago in the NHL is closer to 100 million if not more today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad