Confirmed with Link: Dave Nonis TML GM|Burke retained as Senior Advisor to board - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
That's almost 90 million dollars accounting for inflation. Cap is way lower than that.

Thats with sundin taking Sidney Crosby money and belfour taking malkin money...
Difference was he wasn't afraid to dish out money on a buildin block to the franchise... Burke hands komisarek 5.5 million ( face palm ) and then grabo the same... Neither of those equated to sundin.. Or an elite goaltender

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
It's all part of Bell and Rogers' master plan to outsource all of the Leaf jobs to India.

So you are telling me as a guy who is ethnically from india like can go there and get a job!? THERE'S A CHANCe!?

----

In all seriousness all we can do and hope for is that Nonis is able to pull off ballsy moves like burke can under his own terms. If what dreger says is true and he was one of the key members to get phaneuf over here...maybe there is hope.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
What a gong show. One can make a decent argument that Burke should have been let go (although personally I think it was premature) but the timing of this is absurd.

I'll also add, that while I understand that Nonis and Anselmi aren't going to talk specifics about players on other teams, the ambiguity of yesterday's press conference was a joke. After a 113 day lockout, you owe your fans more than buzzwords. You don't have to release the transcript of every conversation you had with him, but if you don't think he got the job done in time, say it. If you say it was because Burke's personality didn't fit with the board, say it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What a gong show. One can make a decent argument that Burke should have been let go (although personally I think it was premature) but the timing of this is absurd.

I'll also add, that while I understand that Nonis and Anselmi aren't going to talk specifics about players on other teams, the ambiguity of yesterday's press conference was a joke. After a 113 day lockout, you owe your fans more than buzzwords. You don't have to release the transcript of every conversation you had with him, but if you don't think he got the job done in time, say it. If you say it was because Burke's personality didn't fit with the board, say it.

:handclap: this is a pretty good summary of my thoughts.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
I'll put it into context since your all about inflation

Currently the leafs have spent 63 million on the cap..

They have kessel, grabovski, phanuef, komisarek and reimer to show for it

The penguins have spent 60.5 million

They have Crosby, malkin, Neal, letang, Martin and fleury to show

Now technically speaking I would prefer the penguins... As the leafs didn't spend any money on key building blocks like Crosby or malkin.. ( I know they were drafted in I'm saying guys like Nash and Richards have been available) where as Burke, nonis and te leafs have squandered cap on (5m) komisarek ( 6m ) phanuef and (5m) kessel and grabo

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Well said. It's depressing.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I'll put it into context since your all about inflation

Currently the leafs have spent 63 million on the cap..

They have kessel, grabovski, phanuef, komisarek and reimer to show for it

The penguins have spent 60.5 million

They have Crosby, malkin, Neal, letang, Martin and fleury to show

Now technically speaking I would prefer the penguins... As the leafs didn't spend any money on key building blocks like Crosby or malkin.. ( I know they were drafted in I'm saying guys like Nash and Richards have been available) where as Burke, nonis and te leafs have squandered cap on (5m) komisarek ( 6m ) phanuef and (5m) kessel and grabo

Oh ya, $5M on Kessel really squandered cap space :yo: :cry:

But I doooo get what you're saying even if the Kessel reference is absurd.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's almost 90 million dollars accounting for inflation. Cap is way lower than that.

Remember that inflation in the NHL has been artificially stunted with the introduction of the salary cap. That number would definitely be higher than 90 million if the NHL had retained the same business model.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Oh ya, $5M on Kessel really squandered cap space :yo: :cry:

But I doooo get what you're saying even if the Kessel reference is absurd.

It wasn't referencing kessel as a single unit as to why cap is squandered it's just if you give every player 5 million dollars or more... Because it's " fair" then you have absolutely no room to bring in a stud centerman or a star player to male your franchise more appealing to the free agents in future years.. People arent going to say omg they have phil kessel I could win a cup there... They will say omg I have Crosby malkin and Neal.. Or ovechkin backstrom, carlson and alzner... If I take less money we could win cups...

Think of the miami heat all those stars coming together taking less money for the thought of winning it all... The leafs are the opposite with a bunch of 3rd liners in 1st and 2nd line roles...

thom

Mar 6, 2012
If Brian Burke was fired because of rumours about his private life and possible partners then Joe Montana and Michael Jordan would have been cut from their teams.If Brian had won the rumours would not have mattered.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
If Brian Burke was fired because of rumours about his private life and possible partners then Joe Montana and Michael Jordan would have been cut from their teams.If Brian had won the rumours would not have mattered.

Obviously it's a little of both. If it was purely based on his results, it would have been done in April. No sense letting him run things in the off-season if they knew he wasn't going to be the one at the helm this season. His record with the Leafs was the same in April as it is now, something else occurred.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

I put that more on Anselmi than Nonis - Nonis was in obvious shock. For the first half of the interview it looked like he was going to puke.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

Since when do Rogers and Bell feel they owe their customers anything?

forecheck

May 14, 2007
No Interview Process

How can you hand over the keys to a Professional sports franchise without a formal interview process to delve into the candidates philosposhies.. Just a joke

forecheck

May 14, 2007
If you don't know your employee by now....

He was an assistant GM - the board would not know his philospohies in building a team , etc unless they asked him . Either Nonis stabbed his buddy in the back ( behind the scenes interviews ) or they blindly picked the easisets available candidate.

MICKEY MOUSE

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
How can you hand over the keys to a Professional sports franchise without a formal interview process to delve into the candidates philosposhies.. Just a joke

Are you aware who Dave Nonis is and what his job was before becoming GM of the Maple Leafs?

I don't think you really understand the hiring process is not black and white. It's not like Nonis was walking down bay and thought, "Hey, I'd like to be the GM of the Leafs, lets see if they are hiring." Then proceeded to walk in and pick up and application from the Ticket window.

Could you imagine if thats how it did go down! He has Burke as a reference and Tom Anselmi called Burke to ask his opinion on Nonis as the GM of the Leafs before the firing happened! I actually think MLSE should start doing the Tim Hortons model for the front office staff. Just a pile of applications out front and people handing in 2 page printed resumes for GM jobs.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Firing your GM a week before the season starts is a bigger joke.

No interviewing means MLSE is confident in Nonis, he doesn't have that long of a contract if it doesn't work out.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He was an assistant GM - the board would not know his philospohies in building a team , etc unless they asked him . Either Nonis stabbed his buddy in the back ( behind the scenes interviews ) or they blindly picked the easisets available candidate.

MICKEY MOUSE

He has a past history of being a GM, so they could look at that, OR just ook at his body of work with MLSE. It isn't like assistant GM sits there listening to the GM make calls and getting him a coffee and bagel.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nonis was the logical choice as he has prior experience as a GM.

There was no need to interview him, unless, they wanted to interview other candidates as well and choose the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad