Confirmed with Link: Dave Nonis TML GM|Burke retained as Senior Advisor to board - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Everytime he posts some insider information about the details of the dressing room over the years, it seems like he was lying when the truth comes out.

Even if it is true I really don't trust him, regardless.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
What do you guys think Nonis meant when he continuaally refered to being "More Patient" than Burke.

I think he meant that he is going to do his research before making a trade/signing, and he also meant he won't make a trade because fans/media are panicking.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Not a huge fan of Nonis but it baffles me how leaf fans on this board are defending Burke. Just like the majority here defended the Kessel trade years back. The guy has been horrendous in his tenure here and is as stubborn as they come. He's had 4 terrible seasons and has no prospect turnover to show for it besides Gardiner, where he had to absorb a guy who many thought was on the verge of retirement. No results. No open-mindedness. Terrible with the media and public relations. One positive? He is a strong advocate for the gay community. In terms of his actual professional tenure here, he's been horrendous.

Good on the new management at MLSE making this move earlier rather than later- see Colangelo with the raptors. You know the saying, if it walks like a duck..

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dave Hodge just said n OTR that he heard from 2 sources, one very high up in MLSE, THREE months ago, that Burke would not be the GM for the Leafs for one game this season. Now, having heard that, why did they wait this long? That's the problem I'm having with this.

Maybe it was kept in secret? Brian Burke probably knew about it too?

Brian Burke has done a lot of work in helping solve this lockout problems...so clearly firing him then would not have been a smart move by the Leafs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Simmons is a buffoon. He's like the Eklund of sports columnists. No source, No information, No brain just grudges.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
as i said moments ago...which seems to have moved away...i hated berger quite a bit but I focus mostly only simmons now as berger seems to at least have some knowledge.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
Guys, don't post any kind of rumour you hear. Especially if it's of that type of nature. That was a pretty darn harsh rumour to accept because some faceless unknown person on twitter started it.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Good on the new management at MLSE making this move earlier rather than later

This is the problem many of us have. This new ownership has been in place 6 months so it appears they are making this move later rather than earlier. Why didn't they fire him months ago? Why wait until the day the owners are ratifying the new CBA, a couple of days before camp?

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Dave Hodge just said on TSN that he knew about his months ago from 2 sources. 1 in the org and 1 outside it... Bell and Rogers didn't want Burke in there

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Dave Hodge just said on TSN that he knew about his months ago from 2 sources. 1 in the org and 1 outside it... Bell and Rogers didn't want Burke in there

CBC has had the same problem with Don Cherry for years. Luckily for Bell / Rogers, the Leafs have Burke haters.. Not every one is upset.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Everyone just wants a piece of the cake IMO.

Nobody had any sources before it happened today.

I highly HIGHLY doubt Dave Hodge knew anything about this if even Bob McKenzie said this is the most shocking thing that he's witnessed.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009

I don't know. Today, any one of us can say the same thing.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't know. Today, any one of us can say the same thing.

Exactly. Everyone has sources after it happens. No one before it.

This one came out of left field...Burke might have known it for a while but I doubt any "source" knew of this...otherwise that person would want to break it somehow and gain fame.

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010
I do everything in my power to avoid Simmons but he certainly wasn't the only one in the MSM floating these issues about things happening in his personal life.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Guys, don't post any kind of rumour you hear. Especially if it's of that type of nature. That was a pretty darn harsh rumour to accept because some faceless unknown person on twitter started it.

Also it's a libelous statement and infractable. Lee is a much nicer guy than the rest of us. :laugh:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Exactly. Everyone has sources after it happens. No one before it.

This one came out of left field...Burke might have known it for a while but I doubt any "source" knew of this...otherwise that person would want to break it somehow and gain fame.
Pretty much the only one who broke the news was mckenzie.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
This is the problem many of us have. This new ownership has been in place 6 months so it appears they are making this move later rather than earlier. Why didn't they fire him months ago? Why wait until the day the owners are ratifying the new CBA, a couple of days before camp?

Asking hypotheticals is a form of you trying to rationalize a firing you don't inherently agree with to fit your narrative. It doesn't change the existence of Burke's tenure here. Similarly, I can do the same thing as you in a contradictory context- Why didn't they fire him and wait until the end of the season? Because he would be a lame-duck GM. Why would they not fire him before the CBA? Perhaps the answer is the exactly the CBA itself, they didn't want to fire him if some uncertainty arised with it, who knows. The point is, this is all speculative and hyothetical, what's the point in concerning ourselves with this petty nonsense when the tenure and results should be the one objective and absolute thing we, as fans, can point to? Leaf fans have some sort if an inferiority complex of sorts (I don't blame them, Leafs have sucked for so long), in which they have to justify everything.

This should be Christmas morning for me and you, instead people are arguing about the firing being unjust with a guy who's had nothing short of a horrendous, net-loss tenure over his four years. It's like leaf fans have been brainwashed into accepting mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad