Dave Hakstol Part VI: I See A Bad Coach And I Want Him Painted Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Not surprised he's still here right now. But with the board's reaction, I'm reminded of that Christmas episode of Spongebob where they stay up all night eagerly anticipating Santa's arrival before miserably realizing he's not coming. It's felt like that here a lot over the past few months :laugh:
3d2.gif

ClumsyUnknownFoal-small.gif

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
So if today is the day, will it December 16th become a new international holiday?

Each year we can celebrate by burning effigies, razing beet fields, random violence on anyone named Dave..etc

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think the reason why Hakstol still has a job to this day might be because of a prohibitively large buy out clause in his contract that is little too rich for Comcast to pay out at this point. Comcast is a business where the gains/losses on the balance sheet has far reaching consequences for the company so they are not going to take a loss like that which will drag down the share prices etc. etc. It's not like the days where Mr. Snider reached into his wallet and made everything ok. I really hate the fact that the Flyers are now controlled completely by a corporate entity that refers to the team as a "brand" but I digress.

Since they can't realistically fire Hak, as the next best option, Homer likely pressured Hexy to make some "bold" moves to compensate for the substandard coaching, and when Hexy refused, I think that's when Homer/Scott made the call to fire Hexy. Which is also why Rick Wilson, a veteran coach, was brought in to paper over the cracks.

Of course, if things get bad enough, I am sure Comcast will bite the bullet and pay out to save face. But they are definitely looking for alternatives before that option.

Let's face it, it was really a bad move, if not downright reckless, for Hexy to go with an unproven college coach without a veteran NHL coach to assist. Gord Murphy wasn't nearly enough. This coaching staff have been green as hell and it shows nearly every game (remember the Nashville fiasco last year? How about the baffling player usages?). In that sense, as much as it pains me to say it, the Rangers have taken a better approach with it. They have been punching way above their weight at the moment and we have been mired in a weird stunted mediocrity ever since this guy has been charge.

/end rant.
That makes no sense. They can't fire Hakstol because of money....but CAN fire Hextall???

And you have Scott saying we have cap space that we are not using and wants to use it.

:huh:

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
That makes no sense. They can't fire Hakstol because of money....but CAN fire Hextall???

And you have Scott saying we have cap space that we are not using and wants to use it.

:huh:

Yes, because Hextall's contract might not have had such an expensive buy out clause. I remember when Hakstol was first hired, Hexy said something along the lines of having to sweeten the deal a lot to pry him away from ND. Reading between the lines and seeing how things are shaking out, an expensive buy out clause that guarantees "big" money may have been one of those sweeteners.

Using money for a player that will play versus paying money to an ex-coach are completely 2 different types of expenditures. If you are a "business man" which expenditure would you go for first?

Having said that, I am just speculating and ranting here because the whole fiasco right now just doesn't make sense on any level and I am sure you can agree on that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yes, because Hextall's contract might not have had such an expensive buy out clause. I remember when Hakstol was first hired, Hexy said something along the lines of having to sweeten the deal a lot to pry him away from ND. Reading between the lines and seeing how things are shaking out, an expensive buy out clause that guarantees "big" money may have been one of those sweeteners.

Using money for a player that will play versus paying money to an ex-coach are completely 2 different types of expenditures. If you are a "business man" which expenditure would you go for first?

Having said that, I am just speculating and ranting here because the whole fiasco right now just doesn't make sense on any level and I am sure you can agree on that.

The flyers have lost, and will continue to lose, money due to this clown. You know you can get stadium tickets for 30$?

The buyout on his contract would have to be enormous in order for them to feel that the long term health of the fanbase and revenue lost will outweigh getting rid of him.

Also, this is from an organization that is still paying Bryz what? 4 mil a year to not play?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I don’t think there’s a buy out. He just gets his contract which I think is 4 million a year. Hiring Q and paying Hak will cost them a lot but it should result in improved revenue. All that said, I’m sure it played a role in his not being fired for all this time.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Based on everything we’ve seen this organization do and heard them say, what makes you ever feel a firm belief that this, or any other game for that matter, will be THE one that does it? Why THIS one instead of the innumerable other games, chances, and reasons?

Desperate hope is my only answer, haha

DaphneLion

Apr 8, 2018
Pennsylvania
I think Hak is gone but they're probably not going to fire him until Monday. From what I've heard, the team flies back tonight, so tomorrow makes the most sense. While I would love for them to leave him stranded in Vancouver, they'll most likely wait until they get back to do the deed.

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
The flyers have lost, and will continue to lose, money due to this clown. You know you can get stadium tickets for 30$?

The buyout on his contract would have to be enormous in order for them to feel that the long term health of the fanbase and revenue lost will outweigh getting rid of him.

Also, this is from an organization that is still paying Bryz what? 4 mil a year to not play?

The luster of outdoor game has worn off a lot for me as well as many other hockey fans I know, so I am not entirely surprised that the tix are dirt cheap especially considering the state of the team.

Yeah I think Comcast's hand will be forced to payout whatever that needs to be paid to save the "brand" as they call it as I stated in my original post. Just on the fact that there is such an overwhelming toxic disillusion among the fan base should be enough to trigger change but it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it'll happen soon.

The Bryz buyout payment, along with other buyouts may have been an easier sell because of Mr. Snider being around. We all know he cared about the team without regards to the bottom line. I don't know if we can really say the same about the suits from Comcast.

raydavies29

Nov 23, 2018
the only thing i thought about , wouldn't it be best to keep hakstol until the end of this year so we get a top 3 pick... i mean i q comes in we might miss the playoffs by just a bit and not get a good pick ..so in that case scenario hakstol f's us on the way out even

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
the only thing i thought about , wouldn't it be best to keep hakstol until the end of this year so we get a top 3 pick... i mean i q comes in we might miss the playoffs by just a bit and not get a good pick ..so in that case scenario hakstol f's us on the way out even
Flyers might not have any fans left at that point so top 3 pick is irrelevant.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Ek says Q to Philly. Does this mean it's not happening now? :huh:
I believe his connection to the team in Holmgren. Once homer became president ek lost all his silly rumors.

Holmgren didn’t mind anything getting out because iirc he was a straight shooter when it came to trades. There was no beating around the bush with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad