Dave Hakstol Part VI: I See A Bad Coach And I Want Him Painted Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Not that this team is anywhere as talented or complete as the 2009-10 team, but I distinctly remember our season turning around with a pair of back-to-back wins in Tampa and Carolina right around Christmas. Laviolette had been hired a few weeks prior.

If Quenneville can get added soon we'll still have plenty of time to make this a worthwhile season.

And for your viewing pleasure...

Last edited:

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
No, what she said is management is interested in bringing on Q.

Get this every year in free agency, fans act as if the person getting hired/signed has no say in the matter.

8 years in St Louis, 3 in Colorado, 11 in Chicago.
St Louis is at least as attractive to him as Philadelphia, and he may feel he has unfinished business there.
The fact that Berube is the interim suggests he can have that job anytime he wants it.

Q would have zero interest in an interim position. Why would he?
Why would he be an interim?

Are you hoping he isn’t the coach?

What if he becomes the coach and the struggling players turn it around before you move them for peanuts?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lavi went 28-24-5 when he took over, primarily because he was forced to use Leighton after Boucher got injured.
Leighton went 16-5-2 under Lavi, with a .918 S%. Other goalies, 12-19-3.
So without a real goalie, don't assume a new coach will be a difference maker.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would he be an interim?

Are you hoping he isn’t the coach?

What if he becomes the coach and the struggling players turn it around before you move them for peanuts?

1) I didn't say he'd be an interim coach, someone else did, read the string.

2) I'd be happy to see Q, I think I might prefer Keefe, b/c I don't know if at 60 with three rings and millions in the bank if Q will bring the fire. I think he'd be more motivated in St Louis, since it would be the capstone of his career to take them to the Cup.

3) The players that would be traded, other than Ghost (and I think the problem is physical) aren't struggling - Voracek and Simmonds have nice offensive numbers, guys like Weal, Laughton, Gudas, Hagg, Raffl are known quantities who aren't suddenly going to "emerge" under a new coach.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We have no goalies.
Stolarz is an AHL goalie coming off a serious knee injury who hardly played last year and still hasn't dominated at the AHL level (.916, .911 when he was healthy). He has upside, but right now it's a steep learning curve.
AND HE'S OUR BEST GOALIE.

And the goalies on the trade market are bleech.

Since Hakstol tends to waste G performances that other teams win with, the goaltending issue is secondary to the dire need to fire Hakstol.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The goaltending issue is vital to what strategy to pursue the rest of the season.
If the goaltending isn't good enough to sustain a playoff drive, time to sell at the TDL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Because if all you can do is whine about Hakstol, you're not worth reading.
I mean "fire Hakstol" is pretty boring after a 1000 repetitions, even Cap'n's shtick has gotten old.

I'm looking forward, I'm more interested in what's going to follow than whining about something that's inevitable.
The day Hextall was fired, Hakstol was dead coach walking, barring a miracle turnaround that all true Flyer fans would applaud. But by definition, miracles are rare events.

Hey it's not our fault you live in denial of reality. And make no mistake, pretending Hakstol isn't far and away the biggest issue with this team is living in denial.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
7b44ee2d9c480193308d24b0ed36ff80.png

That would be quite the Xmas present, wouldn't it?

Set the team up to try to turn it around in the new year.

One last Hakstol trainwreck to give that last nudge at the edge of the cliff. Get it done tonight.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The season is already over. Hakstol, the guy you hold up as the greatest coach in the NHL, pissed it away.
You like asking questions. Here’s two:

1. Has deadhead ever said Hakstol is “the greatest coach in the NHL”?

2. Are the goalies at all at fault for the Flyers’ record this season, or is it entirely Hakstol who “pissed it away.”?

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
And at this point I wouldn't be even 1% surprised if that pathetic c*** Hakstol was intentionally tanking and misusing the young guys because he knew he was getting fired.

Just look at the player usage since Hextall got fired... ****ing disgusting.

And also knowing he'll never set foot in an NHL rink again (unless he's the peanut vender) would certainly fit in with that explanation.

The reality is he's a horrific coach and too brain dead to give him that as an excuse for his team management.

Reactions: Striiker

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’m believing it. It’s seems like it could be legit. And the #grittyhate give you the idea it’s here. Q is one of the better line matching coaches in the league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, maybe I should check my e-mail, Nicole might be sending me pictures. :sarcasm:

I'll believe something is up with Q when there is some evidence that Q has actually talked with anyone from the Flyers, that is, for longer than it takes to say: "I'm not interested right now, but check back in January/June."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You like asking questions. Here’s two:

1. Has deadhead ever said Hakstol is “the greatest coach in the NHL”?

2. Are the goalies at all at fault for the Flyers’ record this season, or is it entirely Hakstol who “pissed it away.”?

Deadhead believes not a single coach in the league is better. Whenever another coach is presented as superior, he insists that coach isn't better. The only possible conclusion is that he has Hakstol ranked at the top.

Entirely Hakstol. We've watched for years as goalie performances good enough to net a win anywhere else get pissed away by the Hakshell. They lose more games than they should because of horrific management.

Especially when you consider that he wore the goalies down to a nub with irresponsible usage.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Well, maybe I should check my e-mail, Nicole might be sending me pictures. :sarcasm:

I'll believe something is up with Q when there is some evidence that Q has actually talked with anyone from the Flyers, that is, for longer than it takes to say: "I'm not interested right now, but check back in January/June."
Your non believe is your own dumb hypothetical that you think he might not want to coach again.

I’m going to take someone who is connected to an actual team instead of the ramblings of an old deadhead.

Also, how often does it get leaked that a coach was in contact while we still are employing one. It won’t be getting out in that fashion.

Reactions: Peter Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad