Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
"a coaching change is an easy one to make"-Hockey Central at Noon

071215_hextall-hakstol_600.jpg

(they were talking about Oilers, fwiw)

yep. and McLellan is right behind Hak in longest tenured coaches. but you see, for other teams in the NHL, if a coach doesn't show progress in 3-4 years, they get canned, but oh no, not here in Philly. Hextall thinks it's ok to be eternally stuck in mediocrity.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
yep. and McLellan is right behind Hak in longest tenured coaches. but you see, for other teams in the NHL, if a coach doesn't show progress in 3-4 years, they get canned, but oh no, not here in Philly. Hextall thinks it's ok to be eternally stuck in mediocrity.

He still gets paid either way. It's up Hextalls employer to hold him accountable.

Reactions: bauer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think it was more a matter of when he hired Hakstol, he was honest about it being a long rebuild, and committed to giving Hakstol a chance to ride it out. A young coach with no options will take on a rebuilding situation, knowing he's likely to be fired but wanting the job on his resume. Hakstol had no need to take the job, he was making good money in a position with practically lifetime security.

Any coach with options would not choose to commit to a rebuild unless he had a long-term contract.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think it was more a matter of when he hired Hakstol, he was honest about it being a long rebuild, and committed to giving Hakstol a chance to ride it out. A young coach with no options will take on a rebuilding situation, knowing he's likely to be fired but wanting the job on his resume. Hakstol had no need to take the job, he was making good money in a position with practically lifetime security.

Any coach with options would not choose to commit to a rebuild unless he had a long-term contract.

Well, it's idiotic to stick with a coach when he's shown he's incapable of doing the job at an NHL level. As Hakstol has done.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
That gif of Sanheim and Provy laughing on the bench down 2-0 is more proof that Hak does not have control or the respect of this team. If that was any other coach behind the Flyers bench, Sanheim and Prov wouldn't be yucking it up.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hak does not command the respect nor does he have control of this team. It appears some players couldn't care less about losing.
They absolutely care. What better proof do you need than the Tampa game? They're not trying to get him fired, that much is clear. Which makes the situation even more frustrating. Because we know they can be a better team.

Reactions: Rebels57

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If you want an example that illustrates how slow the Flyers are to advance their prospects, look at NAK vs. Cirelli. Both were third-round picks, but Cirelli is a year younger. NAK was a better player in juniors, scoring ~80 points in 60 games whereas Cirelli was basically a ppg player. NAK has 2 years of AHL experience vs. Cirelli's 1.

Cirelli is playing 13-14 minutes a game and getting special teams work on one of the most talented teams in the league. NAK is getting 5 minutes a game.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
If you want an example that illustrates how slow the Flyers are to advance their prospects, look at NAK vs. Cirelli. Both were third-round picks, but Cirelli is a year younger. NAK was a better player in juniors, scoring ~80 points in 60 games whereas Cirelli was basically a ppg player. NAK has 2 years of AHL experience vs. Cirelli's 1.

Cirelli is playing 13-14 minutes a game and getting special teams work on one of the most talented teams in the league. NAK is getting 5 minutes a game.
Cirelli was also playing last season and 17 games at 13 minutes a night in the playoffs.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Yep. Again, Hextalls entire tenure is a giant contradiction. If I were a draft eligible prospect for 2019, the Flyers are one of the last teams i'd be hoping calls my name.

Reactions: freakydallas13

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

Yeah, I mean Cirelli is also just better right now. I won't argue against that being a result of Tampa's development vs. ours, but the junior's production is just a pointless comparison right now.

Reactions: Magua and VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I mean Cirelli is also just better right now. I won't argue against that being a result of Tampa's development vs. ours, but the junior's production is just a pointless comparison right now.

Well, I'm sure I can find a lot of TB 5th rd picks that haven't progressed as fast as Lindblom. :sarcasm:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I wonder what the board obsession will be after the honeymoon stage wears off with whoever replaces Hakstol. I guess then it will progress to Hextall.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Yep. Again, Hextalls entire tenure is a giant contradiction. If I were a draft eligible prospect for 2019, the Flyers are one of the last teams i'd be hoping calls my name.

Look, i know we're on different pages lately and i mostly get where you're coming from but this comment doesn't make sense. The Flyers are well known at this stage for their farm system and developing players. Our team is full of our own prospects and is going to be continue to be moreso as the years progress. Why wouldn't someone want to join us? The worst case scenario is that they're drip fed into it, but if you're good enough with us you make it to the NHL and we've barely had a bust from the lot of them.

Maybe Scirelli is just a better player and has adjusted better to the NHL? If you want to compare the two farm systems then we'd probably better ignore Koekkok, Howden, DeAngelo etc... who they completely wasted.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Look, i know we're on different pages lately and i mostly get where you're coming from but this comment doesn't make sense. The Flyers are well known at this stage for their farm system and developing players. Our team is full of our own prospects and is going to be continue to be moreso as the years progress.

Why wouldn't someone want to join us? The worst case scenario is that they're drip fed into it...

Maybe Scirelli is just a better player and has adjusted better to the NHL?

Worst coaching staff in the league.

GM content with being mediocre.

Sanheim, for example, has been one of our best prospects and is being used as a #6 defensemen in his DRAFT +5.

2014-2015 - Juniors
2015-2016 - Juniors
2016-2017 - AHL - Limited role
2017-2018 - Dicked around between AHL and NHL so Brandon Manning could be a regular.
2018-2019 - NHL - Used as #6 with little to no special teams usage and routinely sees fewer shifts in the 3rd period unless they are trailing by multiple goals.

That's how we treat ONE OF OUR BEST prospects.

As for Cirelli vs. NAK, sure he might be a better prospect and player now, but we probably won't find out any time soon what NAK really has to offer at the NHL level because the cowardly coach that Hextall hired because he coached his son is only giving him 5 minutes of ice time a game.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Look, i know we're on different pages lately and i mostly get where you're coming from but this comment doesn't make sense. The Flyers are well known at this stage for their farm system and developing players. Our team is full of our own prospects and is going to be continue to be moreso as the years progress.

Why wouldn't someone want to join us? The worst case scenario is that they're drip fed into it...

Maybe Scirelli is just a better player and has adjusted better to the NHL?

And maybe he was better coached and prepared to make the jump. Maybe he wasnt benched (or threatened with benching) for every mistake he made. Maybe he was put on the ice in crunch time rather than being stapled to the bench.

Not trying to be a dick, but this are the behaviours we have seen applied to our young players and we have seen them come around very slowly. I would say it is at least as likely tht their handling has led to slower development into "reliable" players that would then allow the next one to come up. Shocking that are prospects are not moving forward given our "wait your turn while the guy in front of you stagnates in the pressbox" approach.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I wonder what the board obsession will be after the honeymoon stage wears off with whoever replaces Hakstol. I guess then it will progress to Hextall.
Are you trying to say they should keep Honk? Because unless they replace him with an even worse coach (like Yeo or Stevens) how can you be against improving the team, even if it is only slightly?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Are you trying to say they should keep Honk? Because unless they replace him with an even worse coach (like Yeo or Stevens) how can you be against improving the team, even if it is only slightly?
I’m saying exactly what I said. I wonder what the board obsession will turn to after the honeymoon phase ends with whoever replaces Hakstol. My guess is it will turn to Hextall.

I’m not sure how many times I have to say that I’m in favor of a new coach in order for some people to grasp it. Thinking that this team has more problems than just coaching isn’t tantamount to saying they should keep Hakstol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad