Dave Hakstol Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
We just need a coaching change to light a spark, and then we can see what happens. There are plenty of positive pieces around. Still garbage in goal until Hart is ready, but we have the potential to be entertaining despite that.

Hak neutered this team. The exciting players constantly benched for trying to win on their own because they don’t believe in the system.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just goes to show that being a passive coward doesn't work. We don't have the defensemen or goaltending to be a 1-0 win team like he wants them to be.

We have skill, so use it. Don't keep it on the bench and let the unskilled "safe" trash throw the game away.

The more ironic part is the guys he think are his best/safest/heaviest defensive players are the ones who cause the most goals against.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I've pulled out the script for Hextall ….

"Dave Hakstol is our coach and he will remain our coach. Period," Hextall said. "I’ve said it over and over, and I’m not going to say it again."

"I think he’s done a good job," Hextall said. "We’re in a rut. They happen throughout a year. You can’t value and judge your team on 10 games or 15 games or 20 games. It’s a long season and you’re going to have your ups and downs."

"Somehow, I think people think there’s no urgency here and we’re okay with where we’re at," Hextall added. “We’re not okay with where we’re at. We’ve lost 10 games in a row and we’re not happy as an organization. There is not one player who’s happy. There is not one coach that is happy, and certainly no one in management is happy.

"In saying that, we know there’s enough ability on this team right now to win hockey games."

Hextall: 'Dave Hakstol is Our Coach and Will Remain Our Coach'

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just goes to show that being a passive coward doesn't work. We don't have the defensemen or goaltending to be a 1-0 win team like he wants them to be.

We have skill, so use it. Don't keep it on the bench and let the unskilled "safe" trash throw the game away.

The more ironic part is the guys he think are his best/safest/heaviest defensive players are the ones who cause the most goals against.

And even if you have the defensemen, if you don't have a Vezina contender in net it won't matter. Because this routinely passive crap will only ever force your goalie to face a ton of chances, and it takes something better than good to ensure the guy is consistent enough to face that potentially nightly.

Methinks a system that requires an elite defense AND and elite goaltender to stay afloat is a bad one.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall’s no better than Hakstol when it comes to seeing what he wants to see & being inconsistent in his thought process to align with his beliefs.
I don't hate him as I hate Hakstol because at least there are some good things he's done, but at this point Hakstol is too much of a problem to ignore and every day he stays is a day wasted.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't hate him as I hate Hakstol because at least there are some good things he's done, but at this point Hakstol is too much of a problem to ignore and every day he stays is a day wasted.

I don’t want him fired at this point because he’s at least good at managing the cap & assets but he pretty much sucks at everything else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he Ron Francis’ himself one day though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t want him fired at this point because he’s at least good at managing the cap & assets but he pretty much sucks at everything else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he Ron Francis’ himself one day though.
Problem is, even with all his flaws, I look around the NHL and see many GM's who are worse.

I'm not totally satisfied with the job he's done, but I'm also against firing him right now because I'm extremely scared of how high the possibility is that the next GM would be worse.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
XfHV7Cq.gif

RFzV464.gif

Hak’s got the smallest balls of them all!!!

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008

Problem is, even with all his flaws, I look around the NHL and see many GM's who are worse.

I'm not totally satisfied with the job he's done, but I'm also against firing him right now because I'm extremely scared of how high the possibility is that the next GM would be worse.

I agree with both of these sentiments. While Hextall's leash is getting shorter with me, I'll don't want the plug pulled on him yet. If the team is playing like this in December and Hextall has not attempted to remedy the situation, cough coaching change, Dave Scott should evaluate all options.

For all the good Hextall has done, getting out of cap hell and drafting good prospects, has been offset by bad trades, FA signings and hiring the wrong coach. The Schenn trade looks laughable now and let's hope Frost and Farabee live up to their hype. Wiese was an awful FA signing, while Elliot was okay last year. Hextall's handling of the coaching situation has been well documented on here. As much as I would love for Hextall to tell Hak to hitchhike back to North Dakota, that is not happening in the foreseeable future. Hak could lose 20 in a row and Hextall would still back him.

Reactions: Lurch and Asnito

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So 20 GA in 5 games with MacDonald, 11 GA in 2 games without him.

You have to think he’ll be back in on Saturday.
Well with those in depth statistics, it makes perfect sense to return AMac to the dressed roster. 4G/gm > 5G/gm. To improve the team Danni Hankiepankietol has no choice but to reinsert the Flyers road alternate captain, AMac. Needs to play at home, shake off the rust, so he can prepare. The western road trip will be very important, so the starfish vip defenseman will be heavily relied upon. #ObviousHeelTurn

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Schenn trade looks laughable now and let's hope Frost and Farabee live up to their hype. Wiese was an awful FA signing, while Elliot was okay last year.

Huh? Schenn looks good because he has two of the top wings in the league playing next to him. Didn't look like that here.
What else can Frost do to live up to his hype? 12g 8-14 22 +5 after being one of the top forwards in junior last year.
With worst talent this year.
If you watched Farabee this summer (or just listen to Magua), he's a natural.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Huh? Schenn looks good because he has two of the top wings in the league playing next to him. Didn't look like that here.
What else can Frost do to live up to his hype? 12g 8-14 22 +5 after being one of the top forwards in junior last year.
With worst talent this year.
If you watched Farabee this summer (or just listen to Magua), he's a natural.

I hope Frost and Farabee become mainstays in the Flyers lineup in the next few seasons and live up to expectations. But there have been plenty of "can't miss" prospects who missed throughout NHL history. Remember Maxime Ouellet? Ouelett was our top prospect and the goaltender of the future in the early 2000's. When Ouellet was traded for Adam Oates, people lost their minds on the call in shows. Turns out Ouelett missed, playing 12 NHL games. Or how about Radovan Somik? I remember comparisons being made to Jere Lehinen, a multi-time Selke winner. Somik played 2 forgettable seasons with the Flyers before heading back to Europe. I could go on.

The B. Schenn trade does look bad now simply because the only asset received from St. Louis in a Flyer uniform right now is Lehtera. Despite the accolades Frost and Farabee are receiving, I just urge caution when hyping a prospect as a future star. Long time Flyer fans should know from experience.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The narrative around Schenn is just ridiculous at this point. Schenn was a good player here, he's a good player in St. Louis. He'll be a good player for another 5 years. He's scoring a ppg on one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

The trade can definitely work out for the Flyers but we're a long way from reaping any benefits from it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
One of the most advantageous parts of the Schenn for Farabee/Frost swap are the two young guys fit in with the age group of our future core better than Schenn would have. I guess the trade heavily hints at where Hextalls priorities are focused.

He's a good player and obviously in present day we'd be better with him here than two prospects, but it's not like we have a gaping hole in the roster right now where Schenn is sorely needed. At LW we have G and JVR and at RW we have TK and Voracek. I don't think he'd be scoring here, like is there, anyway.

This could easily end up being a bigger plus in the future than having Schenn would be a plus now. Especially considering Schenn doesn't solve the Hakstol or goaltending problems.

Reactions: Asnito

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The narrative around Schenn is just ridiculous at this point. Schenn was a good player here, he's a good player in St. Louis. He'll be a good player for another 5 years. He's scoring a ppg on one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

The trade can definitely work out for the Flyers but we're a long way from reaping any benefits from it.

It's a trade that's neither great nor terrible. They got 2 1sts and those guys may or may not turn out. He's a very good player who was sort of an odd-man out here, despite two straight 25g/55p seasons. He was traded before the Giroux move to wing, but after Hextall knew that either Hischier or Patrick was going to be a Flyer, which left him...Giroux, Couturier, and one of those 2, with Konecny, Simmonds, Voracek, and a handful of draft picks (Lindblom included) looking to round out top 6/9 wings.

The calculation was, for what he'd eventually cost, he might not have an appropriate role. The value was alright for him, and there's no way of seeing the future...only guessing to the best of your abilities. I simultaneously wish he was still around and am completely fine that he isn't.

Reactions: Ruck Over
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia