Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
giphy.gif

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Fans don’t effect the employment of those guys whatsoever. :sarcasm:

Hextall might not care in a sense but if enough people stop showing up he’s going to feel the effects of that from his superiors who do absolutely care about that.

All the propaganda spun from this organization isn’t some giant coincidence. They know they’re losing juice with each passing year of mediocrity.
The Sixers were doing something new and exciting. Losing ground to them was ok, because Hockey was still more buzz worthy before Embiid and Simmons started playing. But when the Phillies, in their doldrums are passing the Flyers for juice, the hockey team is in trouble. This isn't the Phillies team ascending and descending from the zenith of 2008, this is a bunch of shlubs and 3 or 4 good players on a bad team. Sure the Phillies dominate in summer, but by September, when it was clear they were a joke team, Flyers teams of yore would pick up the slack in the conversation. Not this bunch of losers though. The random folks I see on the street, I give a Go Flyers if they're wearing gear, aside from my mumbling, maybe half give any acknowledgement. It's as if the other half are wearing something just because it's clean, and not really to affiliate with said branding message.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Hextall expects the Flyers to be like the Jets and be a top 10 team once enough talent has been acquired and added to the roster. Chevy and Maurice were basically treated as a joke until last season, with Chevy only making the playoffs once in his first six years as Winnipeg's GM.

List of Winnipeg Jets seasons - Wikipedia

But Hextall is banking on Hakstol, not Maurice, being able to turn things around from mediocre to great, and it's hard to envision that working out for him.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Flyers had one of the biggest drops in viewership last season. They haven't scored a 5on5 goal at home and have been outscored 8-2.

As much as management likes Hextall, corporate might force his hand if the fan base is uninterested in the product.

Reactions: Lurch

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Hextall expects the Flyers to be like the Jets and be a top 10 team once enough talent has been acquired and added to the roster. Chevy and Maurice were basically treated as a joke until last season, with Chevy only making the playoffs once in his first six years as Winnipeg's GM.

But Hextall is banking on Hakstol, not Maurice, being able to turn things around from mediocre to great, and it's hard to envision that working out for him.

The advantage for Winnipeg, 8 1st rd picks on their roster drafted since they went to Winnipeg, drafted between 2011-2017.
Inherited Byfuglein (2011), Wheeler (2011), Chariot (2009), Little (2006) from Atlanta when they moved
signed Kulivov (2017), traded a 4th rd pick for Morrow (2018)
traded Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian and Jason Kasdorf for Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux and St. Louis' 1st round pick in 2015

I don't know if Maurice's career inspires confidence.

1st six years in Har/Car, didn't break 90 points, knocked out of playoffs 4th and 6th season in 1st rd
7th year lost in finals, missed playoffs his 8th year, replaced by Lavi in 9th season and they won the Cup.
2 years Toronto, missed playoffs
back to Carolina, replacing Lavi (who missed playoffs 2 straight seasons).
went to conference finals, missed playoffs two years, replaced in his 3rd season
Win: missed playoffs first year, lost in 1st rd 2nd year, missed playoffs for 2 years, then lost conference finals

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't know if Maurice's career inspires confidence.

1st six years in Har/Car, didn't break 90 points, knocked out of playoffs 4th and 6th season in 1st rd
7th year lost in finals, missed playoffs his 8th year, replaced by Lavi in 9th season and they won the Cup.
2 years Toronto, missed playoffs
back to Carolina, replacing Lavi (who missed playoffs 2 straight seasons).
went to conference finals, missed playoffs two years, replaced in his 3rd season
Win: missed playoffs first year, lost in 1st rd 2nd year, missed playoffs for 2 years, then lost conference finals

You can't judge Maurice, his roster wasn't perfect. He had no choice.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That's how out of touch deadhead and the Flyers brass are. They co-opt the fan endorsed (player coined) slogan from the neighboring basketball team, that underwent 3 epic losing seasons, front and center tanking. Never pretending to be anything watchable, because- the future. Whereas this bunch goes, "oh, we have the talent for the playoffs, we don't tank, need to play better, we're accountable to ourselves, and yada blah yada."

And it is not creative.

1qtXisT.gif

u0kauRe.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They need to hire a new coach. When it's impossible to get excited for the playoffs because you know he will always lose in the first round, that slaughters interest.

The Hakstol era is the first in my 25+ years as a fan that I know the season is over before it starts. Even in prior seasons where I know we weren't legit contenders, I at least had hope for a surprise round win or two.

Between 1995 and 2012, the Flyers won 18 Playoff series. Since? 0.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The Hakstol era is the first in my 25+ years as a fan that I know the season is over before it starts. Even in prior seasons where I know we weren't legit contenders, I at least had hope for a surprise round win or two.

Between 1995 and 2012, the Flyers won 18 Playoff series. Since? 0.

I’ve seen some folks on here defend him. Which is their right. Nothing wrong with that.

You can’t be serious and tell me that Hakstol hockey is something a person finds exciting though. We are watching paint dry for the last few years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Yeah there is a big difference between banking on a guy like Maurice who had already taken a mediocre Hurricanes team to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2002 and then again to the Conference Finals in 2009, and banking on a college coach that failed to win a National Championship in 11 years behind the bench.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Always excuses.

Hakstol is right with Sanheim, he needs to be more physical, he's not going to be Hagg or Myers, but he shouldn't get pushed around the ice or knocked down on a regular basis, especially in the D-zone. This ain't junior hockey, playing against 16-19 year olds.

This has nothing to do with offense, it has to do with understanding if you don't play strong, teams will target you on the forecheck, people study film, and if they think they can knock you off the puck, the good forechecking teams (like Vegas) will come at you all night.

And guess what, people cheat in the NHL, players are trying to make a living and looking for an edge, so you'd better be prepared.

It's more fun to just skate down the ice, but Momma told you there'd be shifts like this, there'd be shifts like this your Momma said.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
reminder that Paul Holmgren was on the job for 6-years, inherited the literal worst team in the NHL but was always aggressively building a team to compete every year, missed the playoffs 1 time, won 7 playoff series, reached 2 Conference Finals, and a Cup Final.

This will be Ron Hextall's 5th year and the only thing he's won is a Top 3 lottery spot.

There's no telling how much of Homer's madness was actually Ed Snider's desire to contend, but when Ed Snider died so did this organization's competitive spirit.

Reactions: Lurch

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, what died was the ability to just throw money at players without consequences.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
A paid shill in full force.

I hail from the ‘Buzz. I used to like Meltzer’s stuff a lot more. He’s got good knowledge on prospects but more and more he avoids any kind of negative opinion escaping his mouth. I get it, but he’s lost a bit of an edge for me. Moved a bit too much to the homer side of things.

Reactions: Asnito
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad