Dave Hakstol Fired and Scott Gordon Named Interim Head Coach (Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm skeptical to say this team has just figured it out. They certainly seem more focused, skating and passing better, the complete lapses of garbage defense have not been there.

I gotta see it for like a month though. I find it hard to believe Hakstol was holding them back this much, but hey, maybe he was.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm skeptical to say this team has just figured it out. They certainly seem more focused, skating and passing better, the complete lapses of garbage defense have not been there.

I gotta see it for like a month though. I find it hard to believe Hakstol was holding them back this much, but hey, maybe he was.

I imagine you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on these boards who thinks our 2-0 record is the new norm and we're going to storm to the first seed.

What you see is a lot of people excited for players to get opportunities we all (well, most) thought they deserved, and would thrive in. We're excited that the team doesn't play negative hockey. We're excited that the gameplay - while certainly still imperfect - is at least exciting to watch. We're excited that there are changes and that every game doesn't look exactly the same.

There's a part of this success that has to do with "new coach fever" with players getting some confidence back and looking like they enjoy playing again. You'd have to be a fool to believe that every single thing that is wrong with this team was Haksols fault. But you'd also have to be a fool to think that he wasnt causing a good portion of it.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
It already looks like it was Haks fault Sanheim wasn’t on the PP.

He gets fired and immediately Sanheim is on it.
After the game last I was just thinking about the abortion that was flyers depth during hextall era and what sort of players were depended upon.

Umberger
White
Filps
Torgo
Gordon
Weise
Manning
Vdv
Amax
Schultz
Mdz
Fat Schenn
Gagner
Cousins

You know the kind of talent that can't stick in the league. And then you have other trash like Corban knight, Oduya or Goulborne enexplicably finding their way into a team.

Good riddance man!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall's call ups were predictable too, they were barely on merit, he said he called up based on injury replacement and that type of player having to be replaced.

He also didn't call up anybody just because they were doing good in the AHL while he had terrible players in the NHL.

There was almost no hope of in house replacements under Hextall, unless a trade or injury.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
After the game last I was just thinking about the abortion that was flyers depth during hextall era and what sort of players were depended upon.

Umberger
White
Filps
Torgo
Gordon
Weise
Manning
Vdv
Amax
Schultz
Mdz
Fat Schenn
Gagner
Cousins

You know the kind of talent that can't stick in the league. And then you have other trash like Corban knight, Oduya or Goulborne enexplicably finding their way into a team.

Good riddance man!
I completely forgot that Oduya was ever on the team. Which is a fantastic thing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hextall's call ups were predictable too, they were barely on merit, he said he called up based on injury replacement and that type of player having to be replaced.

He also didn't call up anybody just because they were doing good in the AHL while he had terrible players in the NHL.

There was almost no hope of in house replacements under Hextall, unless a trade or injury.

Unless the trade brings back a cap dump, in which case said cap dump becomes a roster staple.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Imagine how demoralizing it must have been for certain players on the Phantoms knowing that their good play would never be rewarded because Hextall already decided their fate. This is why I am happy to see Varone get the call-up. If you play well at your level, you deserve a shot when needed. Should be that simple.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Unless the trade brings back a cap dump, in which case said cap dump becomes a roster staple.

Another annoying thing. Just cut those guys lose, buy them out, trade them for junk. Just get them off the team, but somehow he hated looking like those guys were cap dumps so he left them on the roster to play major minutes.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I still don’t think Lappy is a good PK coach.
i'm not sure at this point. the thing i am noticing, is that all of the coaches are alot more active with the players during the game now. also see gordon confering with knob alot. i could be wrong, but i think hak ran the team like hex ran the front office.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't think its up for debate whether Hak was a good coach. I'll throw a few people a bone and include "for this team," but this team looks significantly better.

Most importantly, though, the minutes that people weren't getting is the biggest sign. You can say he had the wrong people for his system, but his player utilization was just an absolute fire pit where good decisions went to die.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If “Fire Hakstok” was included our HFBoarders would surge up those rankings to the point others wouldn’t even be worth mentioning.

Yeah, and I also got an extremely late start on there or I would have scorched them all. I was really slightly rabid about it in the end. Thanks to my cool, calm demeanor and very serious taeks, it was difficult to see, but I had become slightly unhinged vis a vis the coaching.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, and I also got an extremely late start on there or I would have scorched them all. I was really slightly rabid about it in the end. Thanks to my cool, calm demeanor and very serious taeks, it was difficult to see, but I had become slightly unhinged vis a vis the coaching.
So it's your fault for getting a late start that we had to endure Hak for longer than we needed to . Now it is starting to make sense : Fire Cap'n !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad