Olympics: Datsyuk says this medal means more than the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Is the Gold won by the American woman fulfilling to them because its a tournament with only 2 team capable of winning gold?

They won against the best female hockey players from every country in the world. The Russian men's team did not do something analogous to that.

Reactions: Giuseppe Franco

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
I must confess that I have never understood this expression. Who exactly are these mysterious award-stealing bandits? Why do they want to dispossess champions of their titles?

See the changing medal count from Sochi.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I don't see what the big deal is that he would have a preference. And it's very possible that having already won a Cup, being able to win a gold medal at the tail end of his hockey career is more than he probably imagined likely.

I don't even care to argue the realities of the competitiveness at this year's Olympics, but as much as I'm happy for Datsyuk because he seems like such an amazing guy, he shouldn't have been able to compete in this year's Olympics along with every other athlete that attended as 'not Russia'. It really sucks for the athletes who were clean and did things the fair way, but have a government endorsed doping scandal should have meant cutting the head off the snake. The government should have felt the burn globally and from their own athletes who they robbed the opportunity to compete. In the end, Russia's money spoke volumes and they got to send basically an entire Olympic team...and still had a couple of their athletes get busted for doping. You really taught them a lesson IOC.

Reactions: JaysCyYoung

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
....and the rear end hurt continues. lolol

For a such a meaningless and significant tournament, the amount of people taking the time and effort to post how 'meaningless' these Olympic are is =:laugh: .

If Datsyuk values this more than the Cup, good for him. He's experienced both, unlike anybody on these forums.

Well done Pasha!!!!!!

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
North American hockey fans need to understand that for an European hockey player winning Olympic gold or the World Championship means more to them then the Stanley cup. And i dont have a problem with that. Who are we to be judging him. thats how he feels thats how we feel period. we have to respect that, the NHL in Europe is not very important. Here in North America we have such a big ego about our Leagues.
Where do the best players go? Anser him.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
It's fulfilling for them because they beat the favorite to win gold at their full strength.

If the Russians were ever going to win again, this was exactly the year to do it. Good for them.

Do you think that there's a zero probability that Russia would win a best-on-best tournament in the future?

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
And it has about as much weight as U.S. Men's basketball team winning gold to everyone else
Yes i agree but to them and the Russian people it means a lot. And thats all that matters really. They are Olympic champions. And they will be Olympic champions for ever. I find it very condescending that people say well its was not best on best so it means nothing. First of all its not the Russians fault that the NHL decided not to participate, second the Russians beat all the teams they had to beat for them to win the gold. If they would have lost the same people that are saying it means nothing would have been making fun of them for losing versus lesser competition.

Last edited:

Clrs

Feb 15, 2010
Yeah, the nearly nationwide doping is totally not a good reason to punish them. Free the OAR!
And you have a proof for that? Or as always just words? Obama is an alien. I have proof but will not show it. Just believe me.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
The opposite goalie for the finals was Danny Aus Den Birken.

But Dats is still my favorite player ever.

Reactions: malkins

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
They won against the best female hockey players from every country in the world. The Russian men's team did not do something analogous to that.
Yes but come on we all knew that Canada and USA had an easy path to the Final. We knew it four years ago that they would meet again in the Final at the Pyeongchang Olympic. Its a 2 team tournament and its been like this since they started participating in the Olympic.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
And you have a proof for that? Or as always just words? Obama is an alien. I have proof but will not show it. Just believe me.
Are you really, seriously, going to dispute the doping charges? LOL! Did you accidentally lick a pillbox too?

I don't need to prove anything to you. I don't need you to believe me when I say these things - it's just my opinion matey!

And I don't care about Obama - I can't stand politics. But he might be an alien. I might be an alien! Or I might be a cartoon cat!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This should feel rather hollow for him, he didn't beat the best players in the world to get it and he didn't get to do as "Russia"

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Yes i agree but to them and the Russian people it means a lot. And thats all that matters really. They are Olympic champions. And they will be Olympic champions for ever. I find it very condescending that people say well its was not best on best so it means nothing. First on all its not the Russians fault that the NHL decided not to participate, second the Russians beat all the teams they had to beat for them to win the gold. If they would have lost the same people that are saying it means nothing would have been making fun of them for losing versus lesser competition.

Meh, in general I find team play in Olympic events to be underwhelming. Professional leagues are usually the best stage for team sports.

Never have gotten very excited about NHL hockey in the Olympics.

Clrs

Feb 15, 2010
Are you really, seriously, going to dispute the doping charges? LOL! Did you accidentally lick a pillbox too?

I don't need to prove anything to you.

And I don't care about Obama - I can't stand politics. But he might be an alien. I might be an alien! Or I might be a cartoon cat!
I really seriously is going to dispute a state guilt in doping. Show evidence! Some athletes maybe did it individually. So ban them, why ban clean ones and the whole country? Politics. Nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad