Olympics: Datsyuk says this medal means more than the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
Many Russian fans would love that too.

This. I think most Russian hockey fans would love to see their players out of the NHL but playing against the NHL. SKA vs the Carolina Hurricanes was some of the most exciting hockey ever.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
ok slow down now Pavl... alot of us are happy for you.....

your country competed in an event where the best players really didn't compete like all sports at the olympics.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
I think people are misunderstanding what he is saying. He is not saying that these Olympics are better than the Stanely Cup in terms of hockey. What he is saying is that the Olympics in general are much more important than any domestic cup. That is a view that is shared by virtually all Russians and in this political climate, this gold means even more than usual.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
LOL, if this were truly a best on best tournament (NHL players included) I could see it. With the best players from Sweden, Finland, Canada, the US and even Russia present this Olympic tournament was pretty much a joke from the start.

Reactions: 2muchman

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
North American hockey fans need to understand that for an European hockey player winning Olympic gold or the World Championship means more to them then the Stanley cup. And i dont have a problem with that. Who are we to be judging him. thats how he feels thats how we feel period. we have to respect that, the NHL in Europe is not very important. Here in North America we have such a big ego about our Leagues.

The NHL might not be very important to Europeans, and that's fine, but it's still the league that has all of the world's best players. That's not even ego, it's an objective fact. I'm not telling Europeans how they should feel or what they should believe. I get that there's a cultural difference between Europe and North America in terms of which tournaments or championships are important. But to assign so much importance to a tournament (i.e. the 2018 Olympics) that basically none of the world's best players participated in seems a little strange to me, from a North American fan's perspective.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Good for him. Russia has been crapped on for ages for their failure to win at the Olympics and now they are the best.
And for those that say: "But NHLers?!", said NHLers simply had to retire, play for the Olympics, win, then come back and sign a new contract. The means were there for everyone, but lack of imagination/willingness to exploit systems did them in.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Good for him. Russia has been crapped on for ages for their failure to win at the Olympics and now they are the best.
And for those that say: "But NHLers?!", said NHLers simply had to retire, play for the Olympics, win, then come back and sign a new contract. The means were there for everyone, but lack of imagination/willingness to exploit systems did them in.

Huh? You think people would retire from their millions of dollars contracts to restructure? That was such a dumb comment.

Reactions: inthewings

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Reading these comments are gross, no good reason to degrade Russia by taking their flag away. People gloating losing because the winner couldn't wave their flag? The decline of Western culture on full display.

Russia still showed up and won the event that matters most.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
Every year less and less people in Russia know about Stanley Cup, the TV coverage is non-existent, so yes, most of Russian kids go to the NHL because of money, fame, luxuries America has to offer, but as far as Stanley Cup - I do not think many young players dream of winning it.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
North American hockey fans need to understand that for an European hockey player winning Olympic gold or the World Championship means more to them then the Stanley cup.
You're speaking for every European when you say a WC means more to them than Stanley Cup?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Every year less and less people in Russia know about Stanley Cup, the TV coverage is non-existent, so yes, most of Russian kids go to the NHL because of money, fame, luxuries America has to offer, but as far as Stanley Cup - I do not think many young players dream of winning it.

Honestly, I am 30 and I would rather get paid all that money than win.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Is the Gold won by the American woman fulfilling to them because its a tournament with only 2 team capable of winning gold?
I'd say it's fulling because they won against the best athletes the world has to offer.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
this is like matt duchene saying winning the world cup of hockey was the greatest accomplishment. did anyone in NA say that was the best tourney? no. because the best the world had to offer were not there.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I think people are misunderstanding what he is saying. He is not saying that these Olympics are better than the Stanely Cup in terms of hockey. What he is saying is that the Olympics in general are much more important than any domestic cup. That is a view that is shared by virtually all Russians and in this political climate, this gold means even more than usual.

And it has about as much weight as U.S. Men's basketball team winning gold to everyone else

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
no of course not. but its doesnt matter to them, they are Olympic champions and no one can ever take that away from them.

I must confess that I have never understood this expression. Who exactly are these mysterious award-stealing bandits? Why do they want to dispossess champions of their titles?

Reactions: GJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad