Confirmed with Link: Datsyuk re-signs for 3 years 22.5m/7.5 per year cap hit

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't get me wrong I'd love for nyq or tats to get top 6 time but they probably aren't ready for it. IF injury's happen and they move up cool but I'd rather them play a year on line three getting their chemistry together and confidence building on 3rd pair d matchups then try to go man vs man against some 27+ year old that is completley physically developed.

Nyquist looked like he would be able to handle it just fine with the way he was playing by the end of last season. Don't know if you saw him leave Brent Seabrook's jockstrap at the faceoff circle or not in the playoffs? ;)

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Nyquist looked like he would be able to handle it just fine with the way he was playing by the end of last season. Don't know if you saw him leave Brent Seabrook's jockstrap at the faceoff circle or not in the playoffs? ;)

Can't lie, I've just been assuming Gustav will be a 2nd line winger for most of the season. He might not start there and I'm pretty sure if he's with Dats that means they'll have to pair them with some lumbering hulk; either one of ours (Abby, Franzen, I dunno maybe Tuzz? I hope not) or a FA.

I just think, looking at his skill set and watching what I saw (particularly in the playoffs) that he's ready for that role. That's why I said "I'd rather have Tatar than Eaves", I was sorta already assuming Nyquist was in the top 6 someplace :)

#Greed :)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can't lie, I've just been assuming Gustav will be a 2nd line winger for most of the season. He might not start there and I'm pretty sure if he's with Dats that means they'll have to pair them with some lumbering hulk; either one of ours (Abby, Franzen, I dunno maybe Tuzz? I hope not) or a FA.

I just think, looking at his skill set and watching what I saw (particularly in the playoffs) that he's ready for that role. That's why I said "I'd rather have Tatar than Eaves", I was sorta already assuming Nyquist was in the top 6 someplace :)

#Greed :)

The guy has produced everywhere he has played. Once he got adjusted to the NHL game he was aggressive and using his speed and skill to go right at all-star D-men like Seabrook without hesitation.

He's the kind of guy that if you bump up his minutes and role he will give you more and more. It's hard to say what will happen but I hope/think we start the season with Nyquist in Filppula's old spot in the top 6 and then with Tatar on the the 3rd line to take Nyquist's old spot.

It would suck if they are both on the 3rd line since Nyquist has earned a top 6 spot IMO with his play towards the end of last year. Thought he was one of our best 3 forwards during the playoffs. They should both be locks for the PP but you never know with this team lol.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
The guy has produced everywhere he has played. Once he got adjusted to the NHL game he was aggressive and using his speed and skill to go right at all-star D-men like Seabrook without hesitation.

He's the kind of guy that if you bump up his minutes and role he will give you more and more. It's hard to say what will happen but I hope/think we start the season with Nyquist in Filppula's old spot in the top 6 and then with Tatar on the the 3rd line to take Nyquist's old spot.

It would suck if they are both on the 3rd line since Nyquist has earned a top 6 spot IMO with his play towards the end of last year. Thought he was one of our best 3 forwards during the playoffs. They should both be locks for the PP but you never know with this team lol.

Not to diminish your thoughtful, extremely salient point but:

"He was a damn sight better than thant #51 Kid who wants the gross national product of Boliva over 8 years to come back"

Jussayin.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

I'm not saying he won't be ready at some point. But one of the big keys the 3rd line was doing so well was that they would never face any top 4 pairing. The key thing to that is that no coach that didn't want to get fired on the spot would put out a 1st or second pairing on the wings third line and leave a bottom pairing matchup against either dats or z's lines.

That is in large part why I would love the wings to keep the kids together on one line or drop brunner down and put one of the kids up to a 2nd line (probabley tatar due to them both being rw's with the wings). They would be able to feast on third line d pairings all year as they adjust to the nhl. It would go a long way to making our team a better overall and in that scenario we unless plagued by injuries would always be able to roll all 4 lines. And that would tremendously help our star players stay fresh for a playoff run.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not saying he won't be ready at some point. But one of the big keys the 3rd line was doing so well was that they would never face any top 4 pairing. The key thing to that is that no coach that didn't want to get fired on the spot would put out a 1st or second pairing on the wings third line and leave a bottom pairing matchup against either dats or z's lines.

That is in large part why I would love the wings to keep the kids together on one line or drop brunner down and put one of the kids up to a 2nd line (probabley tatar due to them both being rw's with the wings). They would be able to feast on third line d pairings all year as they adjust to the nhl. It would go a long way to making our team a better overall and in that scenario we unless plagued by injuries would always be able to roll all 4 lines. And that would tremendously help our star players stay fresh for a playoff run.

If Filppula walks you would have to imagine Nyquist will take his place in a top 6 role since they are somewhat similar. Nyquist doesn't need to play sheltered minutes he is very skilled and is a more agressive player than Fil. You see how he is always looking to attack and will go agressively even at guys like Seabrook.

You put Nyquist on your 3rd line when you can put better and more experienced guys ahead of him. With our current roster we can't really do that a whole lot. In my opinion he is our 4th best forward so you should play him in our top 6. Give Tatar the easier match-ups and let him provide some offense and spark on the 3rd line the same way Nyquist did last year.

Last edited:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think you're mostly dead on. But I don't think we need a bridge to Nyquist and Tatar. I think they're ready. You've got to give them the role though. You can't play them 12 minutes a night. They need 18 with PP time.

I also think Tatar and Gus are ready to contribute, but I'm not as confident as you are in how effective they would be next year. I don't think know that as rookies they'll be able to shoulder that much of the scoring load along with D, Z and Franzen.

Not to mention we have to factor in Babcock and the short leash he gives young guys. IMO it will only take a few off games by either guy to be moved down the lineup and off the PP in favor of Babs' favorites.

Nobody says he's a legit top line guy. You're not telling anyone anything they don't know.
Tomas Holmstrom wasn't a legit top line guy. Danny Cleary wasn't a legit top line guy. Justin Abdelkader wasn't a legit top line guy. Drew Miller wasn't a legit top line guy.
But they've all played on the top line and fit with varying levels of success (Abdelkader and Miller having the least success).

When you have Datsyuk and Zetterberg together, you don't need Sidney Crosby as your third linemate

Back in 2008, I'm sure some Penguins fans didn't think much of Pascal Dupuis. Sure, six years ago, early in his career, he popped in 20 goals, but he'd settled into a 10 goal guy (better than Eaves has been. but still).

But he did a nice job. He became a 17 to 20 goal guy and scored at a 35 goal pace this year.

It's not only about their stats. It's about their skill set. Eaves as a fairly decent complementary skill set.

I get what you're saying, but why settle for a subpar top 6 guy if you don't have to play one there? KH has the cap space and roster flexibility to bring in a legit winger to play on a top scoring line, which I'd much prefer over seeing Abby or Eaves up there.

Gus and Tatar as rookies and bringing back Brunner isn't enough improvement to the top 3 lines IMO- they need another impact guy.

RedWingsNow*

He can make $15M in 2014-15?
That's $7M on top of his $7,5M hit?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

He's gonna make $12M in one calendar year. $5M signing bonus on July 1 2014, $5M in actual salary during the season, and then $2M on July 1 2015. Signing bonus basically means he gets some of the money up front, it's not extra.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

No, I think you're summing when the signing bonus is a subset of what the actual pay will be. The total he will get for the 3 yrs is $22 MM.

$5 MM upfront in bonus and the other $5 MM paid throughout the year. Then $2 MM in bonus and $5 MM throughout the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad