Injury Report: Datsyuk back Friday vs Buffalo

Detroit Sports*

I hope he is 100% or just stay out. No more setbacks!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Personally, I feel that win against boston can buy him another day or two of rest. With 5 games remaining and 3 against Buffalo/Carolina, I would be comfortable with him taking one of (if not both) the games off this weekend.

Playing 3 games before playoffs isn't ideal, but we know he is playing at less than 100%.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Just play him every other game and only against teams that are "easier" (Buffalo/Carolina). Also keep his ice time DOWN.

If he's back, he's back. Once the playoffs hit, he's got to hit the ground running. I don't want him playing protected minutes and then being asked to go balls to the wall in the playoffs. You're asking for trouble by slow-playing his return.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
This isn't going to happen. He needs surgery. It's this or no Pav at all this year.

Seems like it's pretty much just pain management. I'd guess he has some loose material, perhaps bone spurs or something, that is irritating and inflaming his knee. He should be able to play through it, pain meds and anti-inflammatories. He won't be 100% but it wouldn't be something he could injure further, if that diagnosis is accurate. I'm sure he'll have arthroscopic surgery over the summer to clean the knee up and he should be good to go in the fall.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
It's always interesting when a big player comes back when there is obvious chemistry elsewhere. Im interested to see where he gets slotted in. Hopefully he logs some easy pp minutes and gets in 12-15 ES on avg. No need to push it, Id be all for letting him rest a bit. Find his legs, hopefully we win two this weekend then sit 1 or 2 out before playoffs.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I like the idea of keeping most of the lines together the way they're playing right now, especially not knowing for sure what we'll be getting out of Datsyuk. Obviously we'll want to throw him onto the 1st unit PP though, as they've been garbage.

I think when Alfie returns as well we're looking at:

Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen
Datsyuk-Helm-Alfie
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader

I think Kronwalled55 summed it up best last night:

And we'll likely get Datsyuk back on Friday

LxLl7.gif

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Even an 80% Datsyuk is going to help this team significantly. They are playing well without him, so this is gravy.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Asked if Helm’s speed can help, he said, “I don’t know if his speed helps me, he looks like me, old, slow guy.”

I love datsyuk sass.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Even an 80% Datsyuk is going to help this team significantly. They are playing well without him, so this is gravy.

I'm hoping Dats can enter the zone on the PP which is HUGE.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
After he gets his legs back under him this is gonna be great. Legwand will slot down to where he fits better and not get first pairing coverage. Hopefully gus is with leg still. Kid line isn't broken up. And alfie goes with pav once he gets his legs. That way no matter what one of the three scoring lines gets to wreck **** on a third pairing defensmen.

As cool as it would be to see nyquist with dats it is not in our best interest to. Don't give opposing teams the no brain option of putting first pairing on them.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Even if he can't be his dominant self right away, he'll be a huge morale boost for the guys and also give other teams one more player/line to respect and play matchups against. Do you put your best defensive group out against the red-hot Nyquist or against Pavel Datsyuk?

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Even if he can't be his dominant self right away, he'll be a huge morale boost for the guys and also give other teams one more player/line to respect and play matchups against. Do you put your best defensive group out against the red-hot Nyquist or against Pavel Datsyuk?

yep. and either way that guarantees some favourable matchups for the kid line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We really need his faceoff-skill. Only Sheahan is slightly over .500 in our current center group (Legwand, Sheahan, Helm, Glendening).

When Datsyuk can take the hardest faceoffs, that makes easier matchups for Sheahan and so on. Every center is basicly better with 1 spot in hiearchy, when your best guy comes back.

And this time it isn't a hand injury affecting to his faceoffs. More of his skating (that knee).

When we will win more faceoffs, we have more puck-posession time and will get this team more towards our own game.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

yep. and either way that guarantees some favourable matchups for the kid line.

Exactly, and when we face teams who have legit top lines like the Penguins you can try to match up the Shut down line against them.

Now I have to ask, is there any hope that big E could return with a game or two before playoffs. Taking Lashoff out of the lineup and putting E back in makes our defense look a lot better. with Smith and Q looking worlds better than at the start of the season.

Keep Smith with Kronwall, and DD with Q, replace Lashoff with E and you now have a guy who can cover for Kindl who while still not looking good has looked better than Lashoff and has put up a few points lately.

Gus-Legs-mule
Pav-Helm-Alfie
----Kid line----
Miller-Glen-Abby

Kronwall-Smith
Quincey-DD
Kindl-Ericsson

I left out Z because he might not be available for the start of the Playoffs. and would us Andersson as the scratch, since I think the offense he brings is not as big as Glens shutdown ability, speed and grit. Glendening draws penalties and with pav back we have 2 dangerous PP units.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad