Injury Report: Datsyuk back Friday vs Buffalo

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
According to mickey redmond on our broadcast last night he seems to be aiming for coming back in at the end of the week.

The other good thing about winning both games on the weekend is it reduces the amount of desparation to beat the Bruins on Wednesday. I don't think they would have rushed Datsyuk back for that game anyways but it still gives them a bit more breathing room. Hopefully we'll see him on Friday against Buffalo.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It is friday today ;)

Wishful thinking eh :handclap: ? I don't want him to rush back though. Take some time to make sure he is ready to go for the real season. As long as he can get in around 4 games in the long preseason to make sure everything is clicking is all I can ask for.

If Z doesn't make it back till round 2 (if we get that far) he will have to carry the team with nike, franzen, and alfie threw round 1 (nothing against our kids line but I'm not expecting more than .5 ppg from more than 2 of them sheahan and tatar). Plus depending on our matchup (boston) I believe they won't get real hot. If we play pitt town though I would expect more outta them cause pitts bottom pairing and bottom 6 is a dumpster fire.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The other good thing about winning both games on the weekend is it reduces the amount of desparation to beat the Bruins on Wednesday. I don't think they would have rushed Datsyuk back for that game anyways but it still gives them a bit more breathing room. Hopefully we'll see him on Friday against Buffalo.

He shouldn't play Friday night. We know he is not coming back 100%, no way he should debut in a back to backs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure if rest is going to make a difference, if he does in fact need surgery on his knee, and is waiting til the off season.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If he played on Friday I would assume he would sit out Saturday. Or he skips Friday and plays on Saturday.

Then we have Sunday, Monday off and go back-to-to back against Buffalo and Pittsburg. I would love to be in a position to rest him both Buffalo games

Detroit Swed Wings

#FireHolland
Jan 17, 2013
Malmö
If we keep winning, I say let Pavs rest until the last game or two of the season. No need to rush the guy.

Yet we need him to get into gear by the time playoffs start.
I don't remember which season it was but he was a slow starter after injury coming playoffs.

But who knows, he might bounce back like Helm did in Jan.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yet we need him to get into gear by the time playoffs start.
I don't remember which season it was but he was a slow starter after injury coming playoffs.

But who knows, he might bounce back like Helm did in Jan.

In 10-11, he took a while to get his game back to 100% after the hand/wrist injury, but by the last week of the season and once the playoffs began (with Zetterberg out injured I might add) he was dominant.

In 11-12, however, when he returned from the knee injury, he was never the same the rest of the year. He lost a lot of his quickness/explosiveness and wasn't nearly as strong or dynamic with the puck.

I'm very skeptical that he can return to his dominant self this season, but in reality even if he plays at 70% he's an upgrade and you can roll Datsyuk-Legwand-Sheahan-Helm/Glendening down the middle.

I think part of his potential success if he returns soon will also be dependent on his linemates. What we seen in Soshi is that if he has a linemate that can skate and is hard on the puck (Radulov), he can still be a huge asset and take advantage of time and space. But if he's supposed to carry a line and has a defensive unit to shut him down, he's likely going to struggle on a bad knee.

I think Babcock has to seriously consider to continue to use our "4th line" as the shutdown unit even if Datsyuk returns and potentially play him on the wing it it makes his life easier.

Datsyuk-Helm-Alfredsson
Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader

The Glendening unit can handle the defensive situations, the Kid Line can be get the easier, sheltered minutes and get more time during the games that they are really rolling. Then the two veteran units can match up against anybody if necessary and Babcock can give whatever line is playing best each game the most minutes - much like he has recently. Some games the Kid line gets 2nd line minutes when they're dominating and some games the Glendening unit gets the most minutes to match up in tight games.

Johnz96*

Franzen-Pav-Nyquist
Helm-Legwand-Alfie
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abby-Glendening-Miller
Andersson-Bert

I don't think there is any better than that.
The injuries were a blessing in disguise, launching the kid line and the Nyquist Exxxxxxxxxplosion.

Johnz96*

In 10-11, he took a while to get his game back to 100% after the hand/wrist injury, but by the last week of the season and once the playoffs began (with Zetterberg out injured I might add) he was dominant.

In 11-12, however, when he returned from the knee injury, he was never the same the rest of the year. He lost a lot of his quickness/explosiveness and wasn't nearly as strong or dynamic with the puck.

I'm very skeptical that he can return to his dominant self this season, but in reality even if he plays at 70% he's an upgrade and you can roll Datsyuk-Legwand-Sheahan-Helm/Glendening down the middle.

I think part of his potential success if he returns soon will also be dependent on his linemates. What we seen in Soshi is that if he has a linemate that can skate and is hard on the puck (Radulov), he can still be a huge asset and take advantage of time and space. But if he's supposed to carry a line and has a defensive unit to shut him down, he's likely going to struggle on a bad knee.

I think Babcock has to seriously consider to continue to use our "4th line" as the shutdown unit even if Datsyuk returns and potentially play him on the wing it it makes his life easier.

Datsyuk-Helm-Alfredsson
Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader

The Glendening unit can handle the defensive situations, the Kid Line can be get the easier, sheltered minutes and get more time during the games that they are really rolling. Then the two veteran units can match up against anybody if necessary and Babcock can give whatever line is playing best each game the most minutes - much like he has recently. Some games the Kid line gets 2nd line minutes when they're dominating and some games the Glendening unit gets the most minutes to match up in tight games.

Babcock wants a big body on all lines all the time especially the first line.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Official Detroit Red Wings
UPDATE: Pavel Datsyuk said the time off "helped" and he's a game-time decision for tomorrow ‪#‎RedWings‬

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Exciting, but I don't know if it would be the best idea for him to return against a team like Boston. Of course, if he's ready to go, then by all means come back, and maybe we could give Boston some competition, but if he's still not entirely sure, sit that one out and help us demolish Buffalo on Friday.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Atleast it's helped but hopefully he will have a surgery in the off-season so he can get back to 100% for next season.. pavel at 80-90% is good enough
Hasn't it been said that surgery may not hep him because the doctors don't know what's wrong with him?

crashman

Exciting, but I don't know if it would be the best idea for him to return against a team like Boston. Of course, if he's ready to go, then by all means come back, and maybe we could give Boston some competition, but if he's still not entirely sure, sit that one out and help us demolish Buffalo on Friday.

I think with the way the Wings are built right now, I don't think giving them a little competition will be difficult. We have some guys that can skate circles around Chara these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad