Injury Report: Datsyuk back Friday vs Buffalo

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think with the way the Wings are built right now, I don't think giving them a little competition will be difficult. We have some guys that can skate circles around Chara these days.

Ya, true. We are 2-1 against them this year so far, which is very good when looking at their record. I can almost guarantee they don't wanna see us in round 1.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
they might wanna let us win then and take that 7th seed

This kind of thinking gets thrown around all the time, but does anyone seriously consider it a possibility? I don't think any team consciously makes a decision to lose for the sake of seeding. Or even draft picks.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
As long as were in the playoffs I would love the 8th seed. Its pretty good insurance if we get knocked out early. In the east we would still end up with like the 12-13th pick.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This kind of thinking gets thrown around all the time, but does anyone seriously consider it a possibility? I don't think any team consciously makes a decision to lose for the sake of seeding. Or even draft picks.

The players/coach don't intentionally tank. But management certainly does.

Do you watch the NBA at all? Have you seen what the Bucks and Sixers are doing? :laugh:

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012
As long as were in the playoffs I would love the 8th seed. Its pretty good insurance if we get knocked out early. In the east we would still end up with like the 12-13th pick.

I'm pretty sure non-playoff teams have picks 1-14.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Ya, true. We are 2-1 against them this year so far, which is very good when looking at their record. I can almost guarantee they don't wanna see us in round 1.

That's a move I'd expect from a weak mentality team like the Penguins. Boston is too much of a team to pull off shenanigans like that.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

So the main point is to get high draft picks? Oilers, NYI, Panthers ... Are great teams? Bruins, Pens, Hawks, Wings ... Suck.:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
So the main point is to get high draft picks? Oilers, NYI, Panthers ... Are great teams? Bruins, Pens, Hawks, Wings ... Suck.:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Pens and Hawks do not belong in the same category as the Wings and Bruins.

Both their teams were built on the backs of several very early draft picks and a period of futility.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

If we get into the playoffs we are a wildcard team. Either way we are playing a strong team.

If we lose in the 1st two rounds yeah I would rather have 13th than 14th. I would prefer we draft 30th but if we aren't going to win the cup or make the finals I would rather be able to great top talent. early as well as late.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If we get into the playoffs we are a wildcard team. Either way we are playing a strong team.

If we lose in the 1st two rounds yeah I would rather have 13th than 14th. I would prefer we draft 30th but if we aren't going to win the cup or make the finals I would rather be able to great top talent. early as well as late.

And unless your picking 1st overall, it really doesn't matter because there's not a huge difference between pick 10 and pick 20.

Detroit traded down to draft Mantha last year. Think about that.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I understand you like draft picks. And the lower the pick, the better odds we get a good player.

BUT.

If were were talking 6th overall vs 14th overall. You would be right for sure.

If we miss the playoffs, we are going to have 13/14th overall pick.

If we get knocked out in the first round its likely 15th -16th overall pick.

There is almost no difference at this stage in the draft.

All the PRIME talent is gone, and now you are looking at "GOOD" players that COULD make the NHL. Drafting 10-20 is more about "do you need a Center, or a winger, or a Dman".

The 1st or 2nd overall pick is about picked the "Best player available" because you sorta have to.

I think Making the playoffs is preferable right now. I do not think missing the playoffs improves our team in any significant way.
Main reason this team improved this season already happened. :Injuries --> Youth Movement:

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
And unless your picking 1st overall, it really doesn't matter because there's not a huge difference between pick 10 and pick 20.

Detroit traded down to draft Mantha last year. Think about that.

keep in mind NJ gets reduced to 30th overall

If a top talent falls I would prefer their be less teams to pick him up first. Mantha won't happen every year. in most drafts he still would have been a top 10 pick.

Like I said I would prefer we win the cup and pick late again, but it makes very little difference being the 7th or 8th seed when the top 2 teams are both so strong. Odds are we would have to play them both anyways.

Nylander has top 5 skill and if he was bigger would be picked around there. the less teams to pick in front of us the more likely we grab him at 13 and add another elite player.

I'm going to end on saying I don't want us to dive for 7th overall. I don't want us to purposely lose to get the 2nd wild card spot. I'm just saying that if we are in the playoffs it makes very little difference which spot we are in. and if Columbus pass's us I don't really care as long as we are in.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I understand you like draft picks. And the lower the pick, the better odds we get a good player.

BUT.

If were were talking 6th overall vs 14th overall. You would be right for sure.

If we miss the playoffs, we are going to have 13/14th overall pick.

If we get knocked out in the first round its likely 15th -16th overall pick.

There is almost no difference at this stage in the draft.

All the PRIME talent is gone, and now you are looking at "GOOD" players that COULD make the NHL. Drafting 10-20 is more about "do you need a Center, or a winger, or a Dman".

The 1st or 2nd overall pick is about picked the "Best player available" because you sorta have to.

I think Making the playoffs is preferable right now. I do not think missing the playoffs improves our team in any significant way.
Main reason this team improved this season already happened. :Injuries --> Youth Movement:

If Columbus passed us and we were 8th seed we would have 14th overall if knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st 2 rounds.

last year we got knocked out in the 2nd round and had the 18th overall pick which was based on our standings. if you make it to the conference finals it changes.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Generalizations. It all depends on the organization that drafts them. Columbus was pretty terribly run until Jarmo came around, then finally all the high picks culminated into something. Same with Tampa, Pittsburgh, and other clubs. Notice the Islanders and Oilers still have their awful management teams. It's all relative. Building through the draft is definitely the best way to make a better team, but if the organization is awful, then even top 3 picks won't always help your team flourish. Fortunately, our team drafts very well. So there's nothing "traitorous" about people wanting the Red Wings to get a good pick, all things considered. They're trying to look at the long term success of the organization, as they don't think we're good enough to succeed now. I don't agree, but the people who think this way aren't being impractical.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
The players/coach don't intentionally tank. But management certainly does.

Do you watch the NBA at all? Have you seen what the Bucks and Sixers are doing? :laugh:

Nothing comparable to Tankadelphia! Seems they're coming for a big one next season! :D

Back to Datysuk,

hope he's getting some more days to rest, coming closer to his 100 %. Especially as it's uncertain earing any points tonight at all, either way.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
From Khan:
Based on line rushes at the morning skate it doesn't look like Datsyuk is in tonight. He's watching from the side.

Not shocked, will be interesting to see how he is deployed in the upcoming back to backs.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 49m
Datsyuk taking part in line rushes with Helm and Abdelkader. Looks like Datsyuk expects to play tomorrow.

He'sssssss baaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk.

I imagine he'll start taking shifts with Nyquist and Franzen soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad