Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
We have enough d coming up to replace him. Dude has plateaued over the past three years. He is what he is.

Is anyone comfortable paying him what he ultimately wants when this is what he really is?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We have enough d coming up to replace him. Dude has plateaued over the past three years. He is what he is.

Is anyone comfortable paying him what he ultimately wants when this is what he really is?

Hes a 35+ point player that plays 2nd pairing. He scores pretty much all his points 5x5, and is a king on the PK, carried a rookie Dman all year.

He's worth more then most Oiler fans want to admit for some reason.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
The guy is pure garbage and a poster boy for everything wrong with this team. An entitled twerp who has bought more into the hype of being an overpaid hockey player in a hockey mad city where players are treated or considered to be royalty. A guy who in all his time here has been unable to improve his game. Watch old games of the Oilers from the 80's who used wood sticks...just as hard a shot with much better accuracy. Nurse can't get a snapshot on net if his life depended on it. In contrast, you could count on laser shots with Pronger. Is Nurse Pronger? No and never will be. He is a guy who is too lazy to put the time in to be better. He is not worth more than $3M a year, and even then just for soaking up minutes. He is nothing more than a 3rd pairing. Absolute crap.

Reactions: Snipes45

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The guy is pure garbage and a poster boy for everything wrong with this team. An entitled twerp who has bought more into the hype of being an overpaid hockey player in a hockey mad city where players are treated or considered to be royalty. A guy who in all his time here has been unable to improve his game. Watch old games of the Oilers from the 80's who used wood sticks...just as hard a shot with much better accuracy. Nurse can't get a snapshot on net if his life depended on it. In contrast, you could count on laser shots with Pronger. Is Nurse Pronger? No and never will be. He is a guy who is too lazy to put the time in to be better. He is not worth more than $3M a year, and even then just for soaking up minutes. He is nothing more than a 3rd pairing. Absolute crap.

Can’t get further from the truth.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nurse put up points on a.contract year and got paid.
He has the stats to back his paycheque but eye test says he is overpaid by 3M per.

The bridge money he is making should be the long term money he should be making. Nurse is a decent 2nd pairing Dman.
Calling him #6 is overreaction.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
Hes a 35+ point player that plays 2nd pairing. He scores pretty much all his points 5x5, and is a king on the PK, carried a rookie Dman all year.

It wasn’t Nurse that did the carrying on that D pairing.

Reactions: DerpMorg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know everyone on here loves Bear, but he really struggled at times this year, and in the playoffs was just not very good. Nurse is a good player, but he just is not that strong enough of a player to play intense minutes with a rook.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Move on from nurse. Too expensive for what he brings and when he messes up its in the back of our net.

What's the plan though?

You aren't going to get a better defenseman back if you trade him, so do you give the guy with an even more disappointing playoffs more minutes? Throw a rookie into the top4?

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
What's the plan though?

You aren't going to get a better defenseman back if you trade him, so do you give the guy with an even more disappointing playoffs more minutes? Throw a rookie into the top4?

At the absolute minimum I’d be willing to put jones in his place on the second pairing. Someone will take nurse for futures so that opens some cap space. Dream scenario is to offload nurse and around 4m and go hard for AP at 10m/year. But a team can’t play nurse,russel,klefbom,Larsson, in the minutes we do. That has to have at least one offensive leaning guy in there instead of one of them and nurse(imo) has the most value around the league and is the most expensive.

Someone else may be willing to do nurse++ for an upgrade but probably not.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray

So is he worth 7 million or more a season on a long term contract? Simple yes or no.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know everyone on here loves Bear, but he really struggled at times this year, and in the playoffs was just not very good. Nurse is a good player, but he just is not that strong enough of a player to play intense minutes with a rook.

In an ideal scenario Bear would be on the 3rd pairing while filling in for injuries on the 2nd pairing. He's still a young, undersized Dman that can't outmuscle 30 year old forwards. In a couple years he'll be stronger, faster and smarter and be able to handle 1st pairing munutes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What's the plan though?

If the Oilers somehow get the top pick, do you not consider dangling it for a top pairing defenseman?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
People criticize his last couple minutes but that keep in at the line with the sprawl was great, and then his one timer...

If only he shot that on net man. He used to have a good shot. I dont know what happened

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the Oilers somehow get the top pick, do you not consider dangling it for a top pairing defenseman?
I think we would have to. But I doubt we get anyone to bite. I think these picks are overrated. But maybe I'm wrong. But teams treasure their top Dmen a lot. Trading one for any winger seems sketchy. A center, sure

Then, you trade a good dman we have for a good top six winger or goalie

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we would have to. But I doubt we get anyone to bite. I think these picks are overrated. But maybe I'm wrong.

Then, you trade a good dman we have for a good top six winger or goalie
The Oilers need a top pairing defenseman a lot more than they need Lafreniere. Granted our winger depth is terrible but still.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers need a top pairing defenseman a lot more than they need Lafreniere. Granted our winger depth is terrible but still.
I think it's tough to trade a winger for a dman, especially an unproven one like Lafreniere

Edit: what kind of top pairing d though?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think it's tough to trade a winger for a dman, especially an unproven one like Lafreniere
Yes but if you packaged the #1 pick with something enticing maybe someone gets desperate and bites like the Yotes and OEL or something like that.

Nashville could probably bite too maybe?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes but if you packaged the #1 pick with something enticing maybe someone gets desperate and bites like the Yotes and OEL or something like that.

Nashville doesnt have the depth to make another Jones trade lol. Oel would not be traded at all.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

It doesn’t work cap wise. You get the top pick you keep it. A star winger on an elc would be huge for this team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It doesn’t work cap wise. You get the top pick you keep it. A star winger on an elc would be huge for this team.
Not more of an impact than a top pairing defenseman would have.

As old as he is, Duncan Keith was excellent in this series.

Defense has been this team's Achilles heel since Pronger left.

To put it in perspective, the defense is virtually the same since the last time we made the playoffs, only swapping Bear for Sekera and everyone got three years older.

To put it even further in perspective, our best defenseman this series was... MATT BENNING.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad