Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Oh yeah? Did he set up Connor McDavid on his hattrick in game 2? Or pass it to Neal on his ENG, or tie up defenders for the Chiasson goal? What sure fire goals did he prevent that game? Has he imposed his will in any of these games to make the Hawks second guess their play?

Seems like he's done an adequate job for an adequate middle pairing guy. Swap him out with any reasonable second pairing guy in the league and the results would have been the same. Better yet, swap him for one with better puck moving ability (shouldn't be too tough to find) and maybe they win last game.

He's on his way to being the 5th best D on the team in a season or two, if he hasn't priced himself off the team by then.
Did you see his defensive work in game 2? How blind are you? So BIASED. It’s disgusting

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think Nurse is salvageable if someone that's actually good at defense is brought in to mentor him and play more minutes than him.
Lol there’s people on this board thinking his Career is over HAHAHAHAHAHA I think I need to leave this board for a bit. There’s so many blind clueless idiots on here it’s embarrassing. Congratulations guys the leafs board seems to have more brains

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
My opinion is it's part of it.

Bear deflects one In his own net, nobody mentions it.

Nurse can be better, but so could 5 other d. Klef looked very shaky at times, hes hurt a lot. Larson is pretty good but hes not gaining the line like Nurse. They are both tough. Who else is physically dominating on our team ? We got some tougher smaller guys back there, but they cant throw people around like nurse. I dont see klef hitting anybody (good thing or he would hurt himself)

Bear is tough but hes small and has/will wear down.

So let's talk about some of these guys instead of nurse all the time.

Be better nurse ? Ya ok....

Where were you in the game day thread?

There were a tonne of people who (WRONGLY IMO) blamed Bear for the loss. I and others, stepped in to defend him and (RIGHTLY IMO) pointed out that the bigger error on that play was Nurse wandering away from his man in front, to front a point shot that already had a winger headed that same direction. That point passed to the other, and now Bear was alone in front with TWO players wide open. He was in the process of moving from one to the other to tie up the stick and thus, getting there late had the puck deflect off him and in.

That goal was on Nurse and that is (at least part of the reason) we are having this discussion.

I'll state for the record, that Nurse is/was/is one of the players I am MOST excited about having on this team. For all the reasons you state above.... and his physical skillset is absolutely exceptional. I don't care that his offense is fairly straightforward and modest... I just want him to step up and be the defensive leader of this core. He's also a former scholastic player of the year in Junior... so he's a smart guy.

... but he makes bone-headed decisions on the ice when he doesn't have the puck and when his guy doesn't have the puck. (Petry did this too by the way)

Reactions: Kimber and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Did you see his defensive work in game 2? How blind are you? So BIASED. It’s disgusting

206636171_0021c26a2e_n.jpg

Nurse is overrated. Never said he was garbage, just not good enough. Unlike your attitude towards Klefbom who is equally ‘adequate’ (not good enough to lead the team defensively as well). Take a chill pill, friend.

The level of white knighting you’re doing makes it sound like you know him personally and are a friend or something. If so, I understand.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
206636171_0021c26a2e_n.jpg

Nurse is overrated. Never said he was garbage, just not good enough. Unlike your attitude towards Klefbom who is equally ‘adequate’ (not good enough to lead the team defensively as well). Take a chill pill, friend.

The level of white knighting you’re doing makes it sound like you know him personally and are a friend or something. If so, I understand.

you and the rest of the pro scouts on this board need to chill. You guys were kissing his ass in game 2 and now you guys are ragdolling him on goals that weren’t his fault. Am I wrong in saying that? Did he tip the last goal? Did he do something horrible on the third? The second? The first?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
you and the rest of the pro scouts on this board need to chill. You guys were kissing his ass in game 2 and now you guys are ragdolling him on goals that weren’t his fault. Am I wrong in saying that? Did he tip the last goal? Did he do something horrible on the third? The second? The first?

You can read the analysis from the poster who has played as a goaltender at a competitive level regarding his major mistake last game.

Nurse is a fine player but is not what his fanboys claim him to be. Unfortunately he’s at the age and experience level where he’s not likely to take another step (though it is theoretically possible). He’s a #3 at absolute best here and this team will be well served to have the up and coming D surpass him. Maybe he could be a top pairing guy if he’s playing with someone like Pietrangelo.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

There were a tonne of people who (WRONGLY IMO) blamed Bear for the loss. I and others, stepped in to defend him and (RIGHTLY IMO) pointed out that the bigger error on that play was Nurse wandering away from his man in front, to front a point shot that already had a winger headed that same direction. That point passed to the other, and now Bear was alone in front with TWO players wide open. He was in the process of moving from one to the other to tie up the stick and thus, getting there late had the puck deflect off him and in.

That goal was on Nurse and that is (at least part of the reason) we are having this discussion.

I'll state for the record, that Nurse is/was/is one of the players I am MOST excited about having on this team. For all the reasons you state above.... and his physical skillset is absolutely exceptional. I don't care that his offense is fairly straightforward and modest... I just want him to step up and be the defensive leader of this core. He's also a former scholastic player of the year in Junior... so he's a smart guy.

... but he makes bone-headed decisions on the ice when he doesn't have the puck and when his guy doesn't have the puck. (Petry did this too by the way)

With the defenseman(Nurse) starting out wide, the center is responsible for following the other center off the draw. Nurse over-pursued, but Leon should have been with Toews.

The centers haven't been doing the D core any favours. They've been hanging them out to dry in front of the net all series.

Reactions: KYams17

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You can read the analysis from the poster who has played as a goaltender at a competitive level regarding his major mistake last game.

Nurse is a fine player but is not what his fanboys claim him to be. Unfortunately he’s at the age and experience level where he’s not likely to take another step (though it is theoretically possible). He’s a #3 at absolute best here and this team will be well served to have the up and coming D surpass him. Maybe he could be a top pairing guy if he’s playing with someone like Pietrangelo.
Fair enough. You have a right to your opinion. Also, I do not think Nurse is a top pairing at all. I have him as a top 4. The reason why I’m astounded at the people on this board is because, yet again, everyone wants to run another top 4 dman out of town like Jeff Petry. Why can’t people keep their heads

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
You people are delusional acting like Bear is a #1Dman dragging a bottom pairing guy along. Bear makes mistakes too but his new toy syndrome is making people blame Nurse for everything. Nurse is a valuable guy that we are lucky to have. He's not perfect or a #1Dman on a cup contender but he still hustles out there, battles in the corners, and never gets beat wide or on the rush. He's a good 2nd pairing dman on any team, just because is in over his head doesn't mean he is awful.

Klefbom I think has been under preforming this series which is a disappointment because I'm a huge Klefbomb supporter.

Reactions: KYams17

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
With the defenseman(Nurse) starting out wide, the center is responsible for following the other center off the draw. Nurse over-pursued, but Leon should have been with Toews.

The centers haven't been doing the D core any favours. They've been hanging them out to dry in front of the net all series.
Also, anyone who has played or watched hockey knows wingers have to stop the point shots first. That all can’t just be thrown on the defence

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
It was a bad play by Bear, like Nurse he needs to tie the guys stick up in that instance. For some reason our D suck at tying up sticks which leads to easy deflections or in his and Russells case own goals due to deflections.

Klef has been ass this series, the difference between him and Nurse? He is signed cheaper and likely wont be looking for a hefty pay raise. Personally I would not be against trading any D not named Bear, Bourchard or Broberg at this point. The fact remains that Nurse is by far our highest paid defenseman and is our 5th highest paid player overall. Does he provide the kind of impact that he should at his price point? Does any of our D other than Bear and Jones, especially in this series? Do you give Nurse a raise if he doesnt show improvement between now and the end of his deal?

We sure missed Larson last game. When he's on, that is.

Nurse big raise dosen't kick in until next year. He was on the lower end of our teams top 4 money for a while (aside from Bear entry level).

We got bigger salery problem players (Russel, kosk....). Nurse may have to prove his worth, but he wont be far off even with a average year. He's a top 4...

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010

Fair enough (somewhat). Game threads get a lot of negativity on lots of players in a loss.

Nurse is the only thread on dmen presently, and more often then not ?

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
We sure missed Larson last game. When he's on, that is.

Nurse big raise dosen't kick in until next year. He was on the lower end of our teams top 4 money for a while (aside from Bear entry level).

We got bigger salery problem players (Russel, kosk....). Nurse may have to prove his worth, but he wont be far off even with a average year. He's a top 4...
I don't think we missed Larsson. He was the worst defenceman statistically for our group in his last game played by a large margin. I suppose we missed him in the sense Playfair decided to give Russell half his minutes, which was an egregious mistake. However, Caleb Jones performed incredibly with an over 82% CF. Something absurd like 13 chances for, 3 against. He played spectacularly and you could tell from the eye test as well. Looked dynamic out there. I think Jones will see significantly bigger minutes tonight.

Nurse would be a solid third pairing guy. He should not be playing 20+ minutes a night...makes way too many mistakes.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Fair enough (somewhat). Game threads get a lot of negativity on lots of players in a loss.

Nurse is the only thread on dmen presently, and more often then not ?

he has the greatest (still unrealized) potential... Klef is what he is, a #2. People have given up on Larson’s upside. Nurse is... ugh frustrating.

Reactions: Kimber

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
This team need to reduce both Nurse's and Klef's (offensive) roles going forward.

They're both super effective minute eaters, but there isn't a team in the league that has worse to-go options offensively on the backend.

Although the top 4 does a good job tilting the ice in the teams favour, as Nurse and Klefbom are outstanding at transitioning the puck forward (Plus Bear too, and even Larson isn't a slouch in that regard); no one there is going to create plays. This is fine when 97 or 29 are on the ice (or even good, as no one tries to play hero over them, but it leads to nothing but bland plays when it's the bottom 6 on the ice.

It doesn't even need to be a true #1, just someone who can survive in the top 4 and properly drive the play. A Shattenkirk, Barrie, or Gardiner even.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
We really need a true #1 (you know, what Larson was suppose to be) to PUSH everyone down a bit into their correct roles.
Sadly we may have to wait and hope that Bouch/Broberg develop into that.
Jones is ready for regular work too. No question.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I actually thought that he had a better series than some people are giving him credit for. (Apart from that braindead dump on the pk).

But he's in over his head. He's a solid 2nd pairing defensemen, nothing more. I actually don't think there's much of a gap between him and Klef, but Nurse is going to get paid a year from now.

With Broberg, Jones (who I think isn't far from being able to step into a top-4 role), and Samorukov, I would definitely consider shopping him.

Reactions: DerpMorg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2