Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I honestly think they changed Rick Steiner's kids name because of this show. Steiners apparently have a ton of dirty laundry.

The weird thing is that he's still dressed like the Steiners, has a siren in his theme like his uncle, and the commentator even made a dog faced gremlin reference last week.

Reactions: CDJ

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
LOL, marble mouth Flair admits he's a human PoS with the cheating/drinking/debauchery/etc. for decades.
But never...would he ever...forcefully advance on a woman!

Give me a break for anyone still believing this vile geezer's garbage. A "Legend" that hasn't drawn flies to crap since the early 90s.

Missy Hyatt's book backed up the whole Flair is gross narrative that's happening now.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I honestly think they changed Rick Steiner's kids name because of this show. Steiners apparently have a ton of dirty laundry.

WWE finally removed the Flair "Wooo" from the opening eye catch, so basically everyone seemingly has distanced themselves from him.

Well except that insurance company he did ads for.

Next week I guess people learn Taker is a racist, bigoted, redneck. Though I figured people already knew that.

next episode is about kanyon, Taker better not have been a vile homophobe..

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
LOL, marble mouth Flair admits he's a human PoS with the cheating/drinking/debauchery/etc. for decades.

Give me a break for anyone still believing this vile geezer's garbage. A "Legend" that hasn't drawn flies to crap since the early 90s.

Are you denying that Flair is a legend?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They seemed to think Cena was the biggest dick for saying what he did, and it was only because Cena being the top guy burying him, Ric doing the same thing came across more sad.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Why doesn't the WWE use the triple cage? I know it was late WCW but those matches were so chaotic. Seems like a missed opportunity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why doesn't the WWE use the triple cage? I know it was late WCW but those matches were so chaotic. Seems like a missed opportunity.
They just use the full cell, which if guys end up on top then it’s basically the same thing. If they had a triple cage, you know what would happen.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jericho being like “Chris is one of those guys nobody talks bad about” like 10 minutes after ric flair and John cena were burying him on Stern is kinda funny (he was probably right but f*** cena for punching down)

Also this show is trying to kill Ric Flair

feel bad for James Mitchell, DDP, Luke Hawx, Brian Cage, and the Bucks. He clearly meant a lot to them

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto

I always thought the triple cage is such a cool gimmick (WCW just used it terribly), but I think the reason WWE hasn't used it is because it would just make the HIAC look weak.

That's just what I think. I haven't read about any actual possible reasoning for not using it.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I always thought the triple cage is such a cool gimmick (WCW just used it terribly), but I think the reason WWE hasn't used it is because it would just make the HIAC look weak.

That's just what I think. I haven't read about any actual possible reasoning for not using it.

It's kind of like a HIAC and a ladder match since the belt is on top. WWE would need to acknowledge that WCW came up with a good idea which I guess is a long shot.

Reactions: Megahab

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Kanyon was a fave of mine in WCW, but I never cared for anything he did in WWF which is weird since I'm "a WWF guy" and tended to prefer that over everything no matter what. People put Kanyon down for being a mid-carder at best, but that's precisely why he was so amazing. I and many others at the time, surely many of you here, watched WCW primarily for that stuff over. Mortis was awesome, Kanyon and the Flock period was even better, the programs w/Benoit, Eddie, Jericho, etc. were top-tier. So what if Kanyon couldn't have elevated himself to elite/main event status like Jericho, Eddie, and Benoit. And who's to say he couldn't have? Maybe he couldn't have, but even still that's not a bad thing at all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kanyon was a fave of mine in WCW, but I never cared for anything he did in WWF which is weird since I'm "a WWF guy" and tended to prefer that over everything no matter what. People put Kanyon down for being a mid-carder at best, but that's precisely why he was so amazing. I and many others at the time, surely many of you here, watched WCW primarily for that stuff over. Mortis was awesome, Kanyon and the Flock period was even better, the programs w/Benoit, Eddie, Jericho, etc. were top-tier. So what if Kanyon couldn't have elevated himself to elite/main event status like Jericho, Eddie, and Benoit. And who's to say he couldn't have? Maybe he couldn't have, but even still that's not a bad thing at all.
It’s not inherently bad and you’re not wrong, but at that time everyone was doing everything they could to get to the top, and he’s a guy who was 6’4” so people were probably telling him as much as well.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto

It was a time in wrestling where guys in all levels of the card were over. Compare it to now, where you're either in the main events or you're not, at least in WWE.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I liked Kanyon in WCW with the flock and DDP and all that. Only vaguely remember Mortis though for some reason. But I was an absolute mark for Alliance MVP Kanyon during the Invasion.

And not everybody needs to be at the top of the card, he could have stayed in the midcard and that would have been fine. IC title, Tag Teams, etc. And also could have been that floater to throw in multiman World Title matches when you needed an extra guy and wouldn't look out of place.

Injuries and being a WCW guy (and also probably his bi-polar/mental health) probably hurt him with WWE more than anything. The only guys I can think of that came over from WCW/ECW in the initial invasion/buying of those companies that weren't buried after that was angle over were Booker T, RVD and maybe The Hurricane.

Reactions: CDJ

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I was a big fan of Kanyon. I don't think he was ever going to be a main eventer but could have been a solid mid carder in WWE. I remember randomly wanting an Edge vs. Kanyon feud in 2003. I think this was before Edge got hurt but Kanyon was close to returning.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I liked Kanyon in WCW with the flock and DDP and all that. Only vaguely remember Mortis though for some reason. But I was an absolute mark for Alliance MVP Kanyon during the Invasion.

And not everybody needs to be at the top of the card, he could have stayed in the midcard and that would have been fine. IC title, Tag Teams, etc. And also could have been that floater to throw in multiman World Title matches when you needed an extra guy and wouldn't look out of place.

Injuries and being a WCW guy (and also probably his bi-polar/mental health) probably hurt him with WWE more than anything. The only guys I can think of that came over from WCW/ECW in the initial invasion/buying of those companies that weren't buried after that was angle over were Booker T, RVD and maybe The Hurricane.

I think Booker T was buried for a while. He stayed over because he was entertaining/funny but from the invasion angle in the summer of 2001 until about May 2002, Booker T was presented as a weak goofy guy.

And then he really started getting over and had breakout superstar/top guy written all over him but then they had him feud with Christian instead.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I'm sure Flair did worse things in the 70s/80s when he was one of the top wrestlers in the world and people were more likely not to give a crap when it came sexual assault.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
It was a time in wrestling where guys in all levels of the card were over. Compare it to now, where you're either in the main events or you're not, at least in WWE.

That may be, but I very much disliked many of the most popular wrestlers in both WWF and WCW. Not sure what my point is there, I guess I'm saying I didn't just like Kanyon (and other less-than-notables of the time) for no real reason. I don't recall too many giving a crap about Mortis back in the day, that's for sure. Those dark characters were always instant faves for me, plus he could wrestle like crazy too.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Are you denying that Flair is a legend?
Legend in his and many people's minds sure. Longevity helps that narrative.
Tell me, how many PPVs did you purchase because you just had to see the latest iteration of the same old match that slimebag wrestled? Chops, WOO, fall face down, WOO, try to go to the ropes...etc.

Sure, beating up his own clothes promos were entertaining, but who actually paid to see that horsecrap?
He stuck around forever for all of WCW's lowest moments, was a big fat nothing in WWF/E beyond his initial push.

Today, he is nothing but a pathetic vile sleazebag of a man that hasn't quite had his Ron Jeremy (another "legend") moment yet.

But back on topic, what does scumbag Flair still have against Kanyon after all of these years?

"I wasn’t a huge Kanyon fan as a worker," like he was The Great Khali or Giant Gonzales in the ring.

Sure, Kanyon wasn't top of the card, but a very solid wrestler when needed.
I would rather see the Flatliner one more time than drunken chops from a half-dead mummy.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Legend in his and many people's minds sure. Longevity helps that narrative.
Tell me, how many PPVs did you purchase because you just had to see the latest iteration of the same old match that slimebag wrestled? Chops, WOO, fall face down, WOO, try to go to the ropes...etc.

Sure, beating up his own clothes promos were entertaining, but who actually paid to see that horsecrap?
He stuck around forever for all of WCW's lowest moments, was a big fat nothing in WWF/E beyond his initial push.

Today, he is nothing but a pathetic vile sleazebag of a man that hasn't quite had his Ron Jeremy (another "legend") moment yet.

But back on topic, what does scumbag Flair still have against Kanyon after all of these years?

"I wasn’t a huge Kanyon fan as a worker," like he was The Great Khali or Giant Gonzales in the ring.

Sure, Kanyon wasn't top of the card, but a very solid wrestler when needed.
I would rather see the Flatliner one more time than drunken chops from a half-dead mummy.
On behalf of Half-Dead Mummy Enterprises, I'm sorry he refused to give you an autograph when you were a kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad